Nichols Contract

B-F-F-C

This is an example of salary creativity a team uses to sign their star QBs. Of course this is Saskatchewan and Durant. Durant is available because he is scheduled to make more this year but is open to negotiation. I'm not so sure Jones is. Jones wants Franklin, but I'm not sure they are in position to get this trade happening. He may look to Nichols himself.

Here's Durant's 2016 info...

https://t.co/wXuSg6Yym2

Durant’s 2016 contract numbers   
Signing bonus    $250,000
Base salary    $105,000
Housing    $30,000
Active roster bonus 6 games    $10,000
Active roster bonus 9 games    $10,000
Active roster bonus 12 games    $10,000
Active roster bonus 14 games    $10,000
Playtime bonus (51% offensive plays)     $1,388 per game (14 games=$19,432)
Total     $444,432

13 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Jones the "recruiting genius" with his head buried deep in the Bombers garbage pail.

I just read he snatched Bennett off the PR? The PR?? I thought Bennett was part of the main roster? What a waste? Why did we have him on the team just to lose him like that? Actually all players on the PR are Fa's once the season ends. Great.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

35 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Jones the "recruiting genius" with his head buried deep in the Bombers garbage pail.

And with CJ auditioning 3000 players in the off season, the best he can do is to grab Bennett. Are McManus and Walters that good at finding talent? Must be.

Edited by Rod Black

14 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

And with CJ auditioning 3000 players in the off season, the best he can do is to grab Bennett. Are McManus and Walters that good at finding talent? Must be.

What's really funny, is with the GM position open in Mtl. and potentially in T.O.,  John Murphy's name has not been mentioned once as a candidate.  In one year with the Riders he's gone from the next "Hufnagel" to a slack jawed yokel who's talent is best suited to retrieving stray balls that get punted into the stands during practice.

14 hours ago, tracker said:

Talk is that Burris is going to go out on top, so he's off the market if this is so. I would put the same offer simultaneously to both Nichols and Durant with the understanding that whoever accepts first gets the contract.

I hope its true. But ill believe it when i see it. 1 hank has a healthy ego for a family of 5. 2 he could get a ton of money, and 3 its very very rare for a guy to actually go out on top like that.

If franklin is on the trade market, he could push down the qb value in FA as well.  

Thats an interesting idea. I think durant is going to see a bunch of wooing  and play it up some. IF im him my priorities are play off team, strong OL, and a system that works for durant. 

Wait.   So everyone was on board with paying willy 450k (rumoured) but are balking at paying that for someone that played lights out in comparison and lead the teams to it first winning in 5 years. 

How fast we forget how horrible it has been with out a quality starting Qb.

take the same approach to willy and let him make 450k.    Cut him if he sucks and is outplayed by the backup.

but for the love of god do NOT rest our hopes and prayers on an unknown like franklin as I can take any more years of brink,  goltz or whatever other tire fire comes along 

21 minutes ago, Adrenaline_x said:

Wait.   So everyone was on board with paying willy 450k (rumoured) but are balking at paying that for someone that played lights out in comparison and lead the teams to it first winning in 5 years. 

take the same approach to willy and let him make 450k.    Cut him if he sucks and is outplayed by the backup.

but for the love of god do NOT rest our hopes and prayers on an unknown like franklin as I can take any more years of brink,  goltz or whatever other tire fire comes along 

That rumour was debunked many times. 

17 minutes ago, Adrenaline_x said:

I'm not saying Franklin is the next great QB, but he has shown a lot more than Justin Goltz ever had. 

A few years ago everybody was saying how Mike Reilly was the next great thing, he is pretty darn good. His sample size was pretty low at only 76 pass attempts. How did everyone know that?  Franklin has thrown 157 passes already and completed 65% of those. There could be something there.

Of course Drew Willy had similar numbers too, before he was broken...

1 minute ago, Dr. Blue said:

I'm not saying Franklin is the next great QB, but he has shown a lot more than Justin Goltz ever had. 

A few years ago everybody was saying how Mike Reilly was the next great thing, he is pretty darn good. His sample size was pretty low at only 76 pass attempts. How did everyone know that?  Franklin has thrown 157 passes already and completed 65% of those. There could be something there.

Of course Drew Willy had similar numbers too, before he was broken...

Franklin has the ability to run. I'd go after him for sure.  He's got CFL QB written all over him. His skill set is very much catered to the CFL. He's Jonathan Jennings pretty much... big arm with accuracy and the ability to run. 

Edited by Goalie

10 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Franklin has the ability to run. I'd go after him for sure.  He's got CFL QB written all over him. His skill set is very much catered to the CFL. He's Jonathan Jennings pretty much... big arm with accuracy and the ability to run. 

Sounds like T Martin to me.

In either case, you better have a plan B (Glenn) behind Franklin or it could become a disaster real fast.

44 minutes ago, Adrenaline_x said:

Willy was an over pay for a high potential qb who could be elite. Similar to whats going on with franklin right now. Nichols is a solid starter. he had a huge up turn this year, but guys with a ton of starts dont tend to have high up side. after soo long you are who  you are. as it is if we retain nichols we have to hope he retains form. Expecting him to take another big step forward is a good way to disappoint  your self. With poor ability to connect on deep throws, you dont have elite potential in the cfl. 

Medlock having the best year in league history for a kicker, the defense shattering the team record for turn overs and the OL turning from one of the worst to one of the best led us to the play offs. 

Prior to this year we had nichols remember? he wasnt the savior of the franchise with a swiss cheese OL. He was worse then willy. 

Franklin is a huge gamble. I hope we dont go crazy and get him. if we do, its gotta be as a back up / guy to try and take the starter spot instead of some one like glenn. And even then thats a lot of asset investment in QB. 

5 minutes ago, pigseye said:

Sounds like T Martin to me.

In either case, you better have a plan B (Glenn) behind Franklin or it could become a disaster real fast.

If we got franklin imop its instead of glenn as the no2 to fight for the starter spot. If its the other way then man id be scared. 

hes not tee martin. Bryan bennet is a tmartin clone. Crazy all round athlete with a strong arm but poor accuracy who had to have the system simplified and limited to easy shorter passes. 

Franklin has the touch to throw the deep passes, and decent accuracy short/medium. But in college didnt have strong location. Over leading wrs and throwing behind etc. Not out right misses but hitting edges of windows or missing windows while still getting completions. Also a guy who ran a more simple system.

6 minutes ago, bearpants said:

kinda sounds like you're describing the bombers...

I dont think our system is actually very good for what he likes to do. He likes deep shots and big plays too much. Certainly the OL and coming to a team that was lead by D and teams but has a good number of gifted wrs would be a good fit for any starting qb. 

I could see ott moving on from harris and if hank retires thatd be a great fit for him.

22 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Willy was an over pay for a high potential qb who could be elite. Similar to whats going on with franklin right now. Nichols is a solid starter. he had a huge up turn this year, but guys with a ton of starts dont tend to have high up side. after soo long you are who  you are. as it is if we retain nichols we have to hope he retains form. Expecting him to take another big step forward is a good way to disappoint  your self. With poor ability to connect on deep throws, you dont have elite potential in the cfl. 

Medlock having the best year in league history for a kicker, the defense shattering the team record for turn overs and the OL turning from one of the worst to one of the best led us to the play offs. 

Prior to this year we had nichols remember? he wasnt the savior of the franchise with a swiss cheese OL. He was worse then willy. 

Franklin is a huge gamble. I hope we dont go crazy and get him. if we do, its gotta be as a back up / guy to try and take the starter spot instead of some one like glenn. And even then thats a lot of asset investment in QB. 

Yeah, I remember Nicholls coming, later in the season, to a whole new system on a down team. He wasn't 'worse' than Willy.

Franklin is a huge gamble. But I think it would be a bigger gamble for the Esks to trade him. I don't know why they would (unless the deal included a first overall pick, an all-star HB, and another pick). No one gives that stuff up! :P

I don't know if Willy was overpaid. Hindsight is 20-20, and Walters built the contract on incentives. I think it was the appropriate deal based on what was known at the time.

15 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

What's really funny, is with the GM position open in Mtl. and potentially in T.O.,  John Murphy's name has not been mentioned once as a candidate.  In one year with the Riders he's gone from the next "Hufnagel" to a slack jawed yokel who's talent is best suited to retrieving stray balls that get punted into the stands during practice.

As far as anyone on here knows anyway. Just cause the media isn't talking about it, doesn't mean it isn't happening. Or maybe he was contacted and turned down the offers. I'm not a fan of his, but this is speculation at best.

Let's see.....Franklin knocked Nichols out of the no 2 spot on the Grey Cup winning club in Edm.....I'd say there's something there alright...Jones is no fool as far as talent is concerned ( a **** in other respects however) and he was Franklin's hc.. hence Corky's big interest in obtaining him....Yup I'd say there's something there alright and we'd be foolish not to kick the tires on a trade.

20 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I dont think our system is actually very good for what he likes to do. He likes deep shots and big plays too much. Certainly the OL and coming to a team that was lead by D and teams but has a good number of gifted wrs would be a good fit for any starting qb. 

I could see ott moving on from harris and if hank retires thatd be a great fit for him.

I think our system is open to deep shots, Nichols is just hesitant to throw them unless the WR is wide open...

Also, are you suggesting Ottawa release Harris and sign Durant? That makes absolutely no sense...