Nichols Contract

B-F-F-C

Steve Morley @SteveMorley62
.@garylawless just said on TSN, Nichols wants $450k a season and is going to free agency. 
Nichols response? Nichols -  I am?
?‍?Well, we knew right from the start that something was up with the Bombers QB situation. I mean, 4-5 QBs and none of them signed? SNAP
Hut one - Nichols is trolling for more money
Hut two - the Bombers are holding fast
Hut three - the Bombers are said to be in on that Franklin fellow, and there are draft picks involved.
Ah, it must be close to off-season with all this buzz about..

Now I know this is rumour but at the sametime Lawless seems to be pretty connected and a reliable source. 

So, in  one word this "scares" me.   First off I don't think Nichols is worth $450m.   It's truly his first year as a starter and yes he lead the team to the best record we've seen in a while but come on.  He needs to follow up with another good year before he gets paid in the same postal code as Reilly and Mitchell.  I know it's never going to happen but I'd like to see  a 1 year contract at lets say $250m and then if he follows up with another strong season.  By all means give him his $450m.  

This is going to get interesting and quite frankly I could see the Bombers let him walk if he doesn't lower his salary expectations.  

Edited by B-F-F-C

Lawless usually doesn't throw material like this unless their is some truth behind it.  

The club I would hope would not even go remotely that high for Nichols and I do believe the club has the upper hand when it comes to negotiations. 

I am to assume that next season that  the available qbs will be Burris,  Durant, Nichols, Glenn and either Ray/Willy. 

If for some reason Nichols is wanting that massive pay cheque and isn't willing to come down to a reasonable price...  I'd think that Durant would be airlifted here in a heartbeat.

22 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

Steve Morley @SteveMorley62
.@garylawless just said on TSN, Nichols wants $450k a season and is going to free agency. 
Nichols response? Nichols -  I am?
?‍?Well, we knew right from the start that something was up with the Bombers QB situation. I mean, 4-5 QBs and none of them signed? SNAP
Hut one - Nichols is trolling for more money
Hut two - the Bombers are holding fast
Hut three - the Bombers are said to be in on that Franklin fellow, and there are draft picks involved.
Ah, it must be close to off-season with all this buzz about..

Now I know this is rumour but at the sametime Lawless seems to be pretty connected and a reliable source. 

So, in  one word this "scares" me.   First off I don't think Nichols is worth $450m.   It's truly his first year as a starter and yes he lead the team to the best record we've seen in a while but come on.  He needs to follow up with another good year before he gets paid in the same postal code as Reilly and Mitchell.  I know it's never going to happen but I'd like to see  a 1 year contract at lets say $250m and then if he follows up with another strong season.  By all means give him his $450m.  

This is going to get interesting and quite frankly I could see the Bombers let him walk if he doesn't lower his salary expectations.  

I don't see how any NFL team, let alone CFL team could pay Nichols $250 million, never mind 450 :)

According to Justin Dunk earlier in the year, Nichols made a base of $169k and an additional 152k in play time bonuses, for 321k.  

That is really your starting point for next year, he isn't going to make less money.

I would bump him up to 350k with somewhere around 250k  in base salary.

Doesnt seem like a difficult deal to get done.  I would say Bombers likely offer Nichols the best deal.  Taking into account they gave him the chance to be a starter and even traded away their "established" starter for him, you'd think there is some mutual loyalty.  Bombers dont want another Willy situation though but like Rich said, if he made over $300,000 this season, he isnt signing for less next season.

25 minutes ago, Rich said:

I don't see how any NFL team, let alone CFL team could pay Nichols $250 million, never mind 450 :)

According to Justin Dunk earlier in the year, Nichols made a base of $169k and an additional 152k in play time bonuses, for 321k.  

That is really your starting point for next year, he isn't going to make less money.

I would bump him up to 350k with somewhere around 250k  in base salary.

Makes sense...didn't know Nichols earned that much last year.  

49 minutes ago, bearpants said:

If we don't find a way to re-sign Nichols (I think we will)... I would love to see us sign Durant and trade for Franklin... purely for the satisfaction of seeing the rider fanbase lose their collective minds...

I had the exact same thought for the exact same reason. Kick the ant hill over there but good. 

45 minutes ago, White Out said:

as much as I like Nichols I want the Bombers to use our draft picks to get Franklin. Nichols isn't a spring chicken and I don't see him as someone who can command  an offense in the way Franklin can if he hits his ceiling.

He's only 29....  Franklin is 25.       Come on now....

1 hour ago, White Out said:

Remember when people said Willy was the younger of the two? And he's months younger than Nichols? 

4 years is a lot when you could make the case he's the next big time qb for th  CFL 

Or he could be just another over hyped young qb who looked good in limited reps and can't sustain it over the long haul. Jury is out on the guy until he proves himself one way or the other. 

1 hour ago, White Out said:

Remember when people said Willy was the younger of the two? And he's months younger than Nichols? 

4 years is a lot when you could make the case he's the next big time qb for th  CFL 

What's hilarious is a 41 year old qb just completely outplayed a young "up and coming" qb.    

58 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Or he could be just another over hyped young qb who looked good in limited reps and can't sustain it over the long haul. Jury is out on the guy until he proves himself one way or the other. 

If Nichols can be had for 375 or less I'm fine with that. But my primary preference is we go with Franklin and possibly finally have a star QB

12 minutes ago, Brandon said:

What's hilarious is a 41 year old qb just completely outplayed a young "up and coming" qb.    

I dont think you can say BLM is a young "up and coming qb". He's at worst the 2nd best QB in the CFL. At worst. And he's only 26. mitchell has a lousy game by his standards but the Stampeders D were the ones that put them in that huge deficit.