Time for a Real GM

Floyd

No Boundary WR threat, rookie Centre, No DB depth, No Quarterback = Time for a GM with legit scouting connections

Three years of cutting guys before we really have a replacement has hurt this team... six years if you include Mack's legacy

Adams was injured weeks before we cut Bucknor... just sayin'.  

Add Bryant and cut January.  Add Picard and cut Morley...  this is treading water not building depth.  We want a great OL with a dirt cheap right tackle.

Chris Greaves and then Jace Daniels were our LG of the future and then dumped...  Corey Lewis, Devin Tyler, etc etc etc

Are Mayo, Smith and Davis ANY different than Moore, Denmark and Veltung?

What makes 'insert name here' any better than Brett Carter?  Maybe put time into a young CDN receiver instead of a revolving door of hacks....

Kuale, Banks, Shell, Harris, Alexander...  what is the strategy with signing aging mediocre players - sign Keon Raymond or Brandon Isaac if you want a vet presence... oh wait, they are probably not league minimum.

NI OL depth... Jeff Keeping, Marc Parenteau, Thomas Griffiths, Gord Hinse...  cheap crap.

Biggest battle in camp?  Backup linebacker.

The backbreaker is re-signing Drew Willy for no reason.  Now the team is chained to him.  He will start next game.

Mack over-valued his US scouting... but Walters is over-valuing his CDN scouting.

Maybe let's shift this discussion to "If we fired Walters, who would you like our new GM to be?"

I'll throw out some names just to get the discussion started*...

Brock Sunderland... John Murphy... Tom Higgins... Marc Trestman (duel role?)... Cole Hufnagel (hey, why not?!?)

*disclaimer: I am not endorsing any of these candidates... simply just trying to get a discussion started...

I think we should go hard after Trestman either as HC or filling both roles. The other Candidates don't do it for me. Murphy is ok...Higgins won't bring the turn around we need. And I don't know enough about the other two to make an argument either way.

This is assuming the blue don't have the historic turn around I'm hoping for this season.

4 minutes ago, do or die said:

We need an exhaustive search to find someone to dazzle the BOD with proven skills in PowerPoint, Telestrator, and Whiteboard presentations.....and be put in charge of the whole shebang....

I've got PowerPoint and Whiteboard presentations.   Will that do?

Still blows me away that people are on the coaches or the qb when clearly the problem is the guy building the team. All those free agent receivers and it's just shuffling the deck chairs because we are still using Darvin Adams like he is a #2 when the reality is he is a replaceable #4 that every team has a couple of (except us, after 3 years Walters finally found a rookie who might be better than him). 

He needs to go and unfortunately he's going to take Mike O'Shea down with him. That's the biggest shame of it all. 

It is absolutely sickening to see back to back first down plays in a series lose yards on a straight forward hand off up the middle. That's guys getting their asses kicked. It is sickening to see the qb hit a receiver in the chest with a pass and then the ball hit the ground. This team needs someone who can actually build a team and not just play fantasy football on free agent day. 

It's amazing that our last two GM's, Mack and Walters, had won 0 professional football games as a GM when they were hired.  What kind of organization/Board allows that to happen?  I think, yes we need a new GM who can find better talent and who will not pay Drew Willy a reported $410,000 in 2016.  You should have to earn big bucks in the CFL before getting them, and that doesn't mean very few starts with a losing record.

But it's amazing how little blame Wade Miller gets.  He's the guy who was given the keys to do whatever it takes to turn this franchise around and he hired Walters.  Personally, I still naively think there's a chance this season may turn around.  But if it doesn't, I don't want Miller anywhere near the hiring of the next GM.  

Edited by gcdrought

32 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Still blows me away that people are on the coaches or the qb when clearly the problem is the guy building the team. All those free agent receivers and it's just shuffling the deck chairs because we are still using Darvin Adams like he is a #2 when the reality is he is a replaceable #4 that every team has a couple of (except us, after 3 years Walters finally found a rookie who might be better than him). 

He needs to go and unfortunately he's going to take Mike O'Shea down with him. That's the biggest shame of it all. 

It is absolutely sickening to see back to back first down plays in a series lose yards on a straight forward hand off up the middle. That's guys getting their asses kicked. It is sickening to see the qb hit a receiver in the chest with a pass and then the ball hit the ground. This team needs someone who can actually build a team and not just play fantasy football on free agent day. 

I think Kyle Walters and company bring in a lot more talent than people think. Unfortunately, the criteria being used to evaluate which players we want on our roster (and make no mistake, it's Mike O'Shea who does this) is not hitting the mark.