Time for a Real GM

Floyd

Just now, J5V said:

I saw fans sitting in the stands yesterday, arms folded over each other, staring with a fixed gaze at the proceedings, angry as hell. I suspect they were season ticket holders as they had good seats. They were not cheering when we did something good on the field, neither were they booing when we screwed up. They were just watching intently with a frown of scorn. Completely pissed off. You could feel their disgust. 

Unlike you, Maybe they had renewed their tickets for this year, hadn't given up yet, still had hope. These were the diehards. Maybe they will never give up. A special breed. Maybe like a fiercely loyal species of dog, that no matter how badly abused and neglected, will always stay by their masters side, even in their master's very worst moments. That's some kind of dog, right there. Some kind of fan. A rare and dying breed.

We, the fans, are the owners of this team. It's pretty simple, either they hire the best people with OUR MONEY, or we put it somewhere else. Until the owners take action nothing will change. If it means bankrupting the current team to start over, then so be it.

15 hours ago, iso_55 said:

Can't wait for the next game. There may be homicides on this site. LOL!

I'll be there with my Eskie Jersey on cheering the Eskimos for another (I got a lot) $100 Kal tire coupon (we get them when the Eskies score 35 points or more in a home game).

Since I seem to be the fav 'whipping boy' around here that people like to pin their anger on - come kill me. Lots of witnesses though - so hope you don't mind spending 25 years in prison for the offense lol. 

2 minutes ago, KptKrunch said:

I'll be there with my Eskie Jersey on cheering the Eskimos for another (I got a lot) $100 Kal tire coupon (we get them when the Eskies score 35 points or more in a home game).

Since I seem to be the fav 'whipping boy' around here that people like to pin their anger on - come kill me. Lots of witnesses though - so hope you don't mind spending 25 years in prison for the offense lol. 

You oh so publically denounce fandom of a team then waltz back in acting like people would forget how proud you were of turning your back on the team you claimed to be a fan of and you are surprised people take you to task for it? Get over yourself. 

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

You oh so publically denounce fandom of a team then waltz back in acting like people would forget how proud you were of turning your back on the team you claimed to be a fan of and you are surprised people take you to task for it? Get over yourself. 

Oh don't worry I'm more than over myself 17 - too bad you guys aren't. There's other fans of other teams who post on here and no one says 'boo' to them. But me - oh my - i"m so Evil. Yet most people here spit more vile on the bombers than I ever have. Well, I feel sorry for you now quite frankly, and every other 'bomber' fan on here and elsewhere, just like the esk fans started feeling sorry for me. I can't even hate on you guys. You are already in a world of **** (as far as being a bomber fan anyway - as nothing I say could make it worse anyway. 

1 hour ago, DR. CFL said:

Interesting  the sentiment about making a mistake in bringing back MOS this season. The greater mistake was his initial hire. As to Miller making the Club money. Attendance is dive bombing. The Womens  soccerr deal was in the works long before Mr. Miller was on the scene. A blind squirrel could collect the nuts from the upcoming NHL game.....thanks Mr Chipman. 

Miller has listened to the fans and done some good things:

- bringing back the beer snake

- cheaper student section

- tailgate area outside the stadium

- post-game party with dj and letting the fans on the field and interact with the Bombers

- continued with solid corporate support and may have even increased that support.

Some of the bad:

- failed to recognize and/or convince the rest of the Grey Cup committee that some of the sections for the 2015 Grey Cup were over-priced (charging the same $399 price for  seats in the lower bowl at the 30-yard line as seats in the upper deck at the goal line and expecting all of those seats to sell was asinine).  It resulted in a reduction of capacity from 40,000 to 36,000; tickets being given away by the hundred and maybe thousands to military, volunteers and others; and discounted tickets to those who had already purchased tickets and corporations.

Yes, the team did profit by $7 million from Grey Cup week, but I can't help but feel they left some money on the table with the poor pricing structure of the Grey Cup.  This is somewhat galling given the problems with the turnout the previous year in BC.  Miller shares some of the blame.

- his extensive search for a GM led to hiring of then-interim GM in Kyle Walters.  The results speak for themselves - erosion of the season ticket base and what will likely be a huge decrease in gate revenues after this season.

Other:

- the Bombers' 2015 operating profit (without the Grey Cup) cannot be solely attributed to Millers' salemanship.  Miller had little if anything to do with the 7 World Cup matches held in Winnipeg last year.  Nor did he have anything to do with drawing One Direction or ACDC to Investors Group Field - that was True North.  Without those additional sources of revenue, I think it is reasonable to assume that the the club's operating profits for the 2015 season (again, not including Grey Cup revenue) would have been an operating loss possibly exceeding 6 figures.

Miller will not have the luxury of all these additional events to boost the bottom line of the club with the lone exception being the Heritage Classic in October for which I have heard the Bombers cut will be $200,000.  So combine the loss in revenues from non-Bomber events at the stadium this year vs. last year with the decline in gate revenue from season ticket sales and single ticket sales (barring a miraculous turnaround by the club in the second half) and we may see a substantial decline in overall in-stadium revenues and a significant 7 figure loss for the year.  

Of course, Miller will have to bear responsibility for this as his one of his primary jobs with the club is the successful day-to-day running of the business side of the operation.

4 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I think you are forgetting.... Mack has a better record than Walters and at least he made the playoffs one season and even appeared in the Grey Cup. We got some nice depth NI guys but how many real impact ones do we have? Who is our best NI player (other than Harris who any Winnipeg GM would have signed given he is a local and a proven commodity?) Never mind that it was Walters who was the NI guy for Mack anyway, and we can see from his work as GM that there isn't all that much difference in how the drafting has gone. At least Mack put some playmakers on the field from out of nowhere. All Walters does is spend in free agency and hope for the best. No team has ever been built through free agency. 

mack came into a considerably better team then walters. and it evaporated quickly to say the least. Who after harris? jamaal westerman you know the guy who was 2nd in the league in sacks last year as a rookie. 

No team has been built through free agency? The argos with doug flutie would beg the differ. How much of that hammy team is free agents? What about ottawa turning into a contender right away with free agency? Teams make off season power shifts through free agency all the time. Walters was one of the guys, what you can clearly see is the way we drafted under mack is completely different to how we draft under walters. How many guys do we have sitting in the nfl hoping to trickle down form walters? How many from mack? How many mack draftees are on the roster?

Miller himself said he wanted to return the winning tradition, and there were so many write-ups about his other business successes.  I don't bear the guy any ill will, but he personally made the single biggest decision that could restore that winning tradition - hiring a GM to be the team's personnel architect.  And things have gotten worse.  If things don't turn around the Board has to look elsewhere for a President, or they have to demand he hire a far more proven GM. 

Edited by gcdrought

58 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

If we hire somebody experienced and they win us a Grey Cup, I'll pay for a statue to be built on my own.

Be advised that a life sized bronze sculpture will cost somewhere between 30-50k (US) minimum.  Might just want to go with a commemorative plaque instead. 

4 hours ago, Mike said:

I've always found it interesting that the level headed individuals on this forum that describe their interactions with executives, players, coaches, etc always seem to come away with a positive impression. It's only a "certain" type of individual who seems to describe their experiences as poor. Almost as if their behavior is what led to the way they were treated.

Actually I was a lot more polite and respectful to him than you are with me. Why do you always attack the person posting, rather than the content of the post?

Edited by Doublezero

4 hours ago, iso_55 said:

With our offensive line, Collaros would be permanently in a wheel chair by now. Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson couldn't save this team.

Well I would disagree with Collaros being crippled here. He is mobile Willy and Nichols are not. Zack is exactly what we needed.

1 hour ago, Dragon37 said:

Well I would disagree with Collaros being crippled here. He is mobile Willy and Nichols are not. Zack is exactly what we needed.

doesnt matter how mobile you are when the pressure comes straight up the gut with your feet set at the snap in a shot gun or pistol formation. Also running qbs tend to take more damage then pocket passers.

1 hour ago, Dragon37 said:

Mobility has sure helped Collaros. Hamilton OL is much better than ours so  he'd be crushed here.

3 hours ago, KptKrunch said:

Oh don't worry I'm more than over myself 17 - too bad you guys aren't. There's other fans of other teams who post on here and no one says 'boo' to them. But me - oh my - i"m so Evil. Yet most people here spit more vile on the bombers than I ever have. Well, I feel sorry for you now quite frankly, and every other 'bomber' fan on here and elsewhere, just like the esk fans started feeling sorry for me. I can't even hate on you guys. You are already in a world of **** (as far as being a bomber fan anyway - as nothing I say could make it worse anyway. 

It's sad that you just don't get it. 

1 minute ago, sweep the leg said:

Could everybody please stop quoting KptKrunch. The ignore function doesn't work for those posts. 

I wish it would also. Seriously... he's the exact reason why the ignore function was created. More people need to use it 

Edited by Goalie

Gale - 350 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT and, hmm, 30 points with complete garbage OL

Jensen - 275 yards, 2TD, 0 INT

Jennings - 3-1 as backup-turned starter, 4 TD, 1 INT

Harris - franchise QB

Four potential starting QBs emerging while Walters stuck with Brohm and now Nichols...

Five if you include Masoli as a legit starter...  he's at least as good as Willy...

Maybe Dominique Davis has something that Huff and Dickenson didn't recognize... 

1 hour ago, Logan007 said:

It's sad that you just don't get it. 

No what's sad is you guys don't have a team to cheer for. I really hope the Bombers turn it around - sooner or later I'm sure they will and when they do maybe you guys can rub it in my face (I won't go anywhere and I'd never change my ID - I may change my avi though lol) - wouldn't bother me in the least! 

Edited by KptKrunch