Around The League Regular Season Discussion

Noeller

On Sunday, August 07, 2016 at 1:22 PM, Ripper said:

Anyone that reads more than one of my posts before commenting knows I don't defend all things that regard the Riders. I'm actually not happy with how things are right now and am less than impressed with our new coaching staff. Smoothing things over isn't my strong suit, my friends don't call me Ripper for no reason.

Lol. Yup. You don't try to smooth things over. Don't defend all things Rider at all.

14 hours ago, Rich said:

How do these players get into the country without a contract.

Wouldn't this make them in the country illegally?

Vacationing. Coming north to see the great Saskatchewan mountains and take advantage of the low Canadian dollar shopping in Reginas finest boutiques

Edited by Dirty30

7 hours ago, iso_55 said:

Please. Reporters wouldn't tweet if their sources aren't rock solid. They have a reputation to worry about. Your team has been outted & it has to be embarrassing for you as a fan.

Yeah I would have to think that if it was just BLM spouting off then maybe he is just fanning the flames of the rivalry, but when multiple credible reporters are all getting the same info, where there's smoke there's fire.

This is so reminiscent of Mike Kelly in Winnipeg, but I don't see the Riders being as successful as he was (this year anyways). I don't know how long they will want to put up with his nonsense.

15 hours ago, Noeller said:

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/integrity-the-issue-in-roster-allegations-against-roughriders-1.543182

One team source said to me on Wednesday: “If this is true and they’re hiding players in Regina, someone needs to get fired tomorrow. It’s cheating. It’s having extra guys around and immersing them in your system and playbook and preparing to be ready if someone gets hurt. It’s unfair advantage over the rest of the league.”

This is getting pretty serious... this is becoming an issue of league integrity... not just one team circumventing the rule a bit... if this isn't punished hard (if true) then I might have to start to agree with a lot of people that call the CFL bush league...

10 hours ago, Jacquie said:

Out of curiosity, how many posters who wanted the Bombers to bring in Murphy the Wonder Boy have a different opinion of him now. He's in this mess as much as Jones.

I was a fan of Murphy for a long time... definitely starting to reconsider now...

9 hours ago, Goalie said:

I'm sure most teams keep 4 or 5 guys around town but if the number 96 is true then sweet baby Jesus that's troubling.  

8 other teams x 5 guys kept around = 40. 

Riders apparently have 96. That's pretty ridiculous 

If true... take draft picks away. Fine them a million bucks and do more cuz fact is.... this is very troubling. The integrity of the league is at stake here. 

Only time I could see the Bombers keeping a few players around is at the beginning of training camp. When players are cut or injured the team can quickly replace them and maintain the maximum roster limit. These extra players aren't practicing with the team however. 

Just have a look at the Bombers' transactions during the regular season for the last hand full of years. Very few players are brought in once the season starts. Most of them are in Sept when the practice roster increases. 

12 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

I suspect they are being housed, fed and 'given jobs' by 'Riders Supporters', not technically the team itself. Gives the Riders some plausible deniability. If they are practicing with the team, that's way over the line.

... so under the table, illegal employment that breaks Canadian immigration law is okay with you, but they sure as heck better not be running skelly?

5 minutes ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

Bwhahha leave it to Rider fans to defend the team and say Bo Levi is the one at fault here and he deserves to be the one punished.....

Yes Bo likely stepped over the line and will probably see something come his way. But if he doesn't say something who would have?

If BLM is proven wrong, then yes he should be reprimanded. If he is right, what exactly did he do to deserve any punishment? I don't see anything wrong with him calling them out for what now looks to be multiple violations.

12 minutes ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

Bwhahha leave it to Rider fans to defend the team and say Bo Levi is the one at fault here and he deserves to be the one punished.....

Yes Bo likely stepped over the line and will probably see something come his way. But if he doesn't say something who would have?

I suspect BLM's comments were not on a whim... this felt like something he had bottled up for a long time and it finally boiled over and he had to say something... again, this is just my gut feeling...

33 minutes ago, Mike said:

... so under the table, illegal employment that breaks Canadian immigration law is okay with you, but they sure as heck better not be running skelly?

I'm saying getting players jobs that they may not even have to show up to has happened forever in the CFL, even Winnipeg has done it. They used to call it the Taxi Squad. You might want to chat with players we cut but asked not to leave town in case we need them to see how they manage to pay the rent and eat regularly without a job. Most of them are US players. It's a wink wink, nudge nudge situation that everyone knows about.

Having unsigned players practicing with the team is where I draw the line. They wouldn't be insured if they got hurt. They wouldn't be protected by the CFLPA. They shouldn't be on the field.

BTW: I don't believe the 96 players story. That number doesn't pass the sniff test. 

7 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I'm saying getting players jobs that they may not even have to show up to has happened forever in the CFL, even Winnipeg has done it. They used to call it the Taxi Squad. You might want to chat with players we cut but asked not to leave town in case we need them to see how they manage to pay the rent and eat regularly without a job. Most of them are US players. It's a wink wink, nudge nudge situation that everyone knows about.

Having unsigned players practicing with the team is where I draw the line. They wouldn't be insured if they got hurt. They wouldn't be protected by the CFLPA. They shouldn't be on the field.

BTW: I don't believe the 96 players story. That number doesn't pass the sniff test. 

I don't think it's where I "draw the line", because the rest of the stuff is pretty bad too but I do agree, you can't have unsigned players on the field.

8 hours ago, iso_55 said:

Please. Reporters wouldn't tweet if their sources aren't rock solid. They have a reputation to worry about. Your team has been outted & it has to be embarrassing for you as a fan.

Embarrassed?  This isn't embarrassing. I'm more embarrassed about how bad we are this year. I was really wanting to believe we were going to be greatly improved this year. Our start to the season has been painful to watch, to say the least.  Only one thing bothers me about having extra players around, it means we did a shyte job in the winter of bringing in the correct people that we have to Fake around now trying to fix it. That I am definitely not happy about. But Bomo getting his panties worked up because we have more here than the other teams do means nothing to me. Its pretty simple in my mind, if rules have been broken then fine the team and investigate to the letter of the law. If there turns out to be something to this then Jones/Murphy can face the music which may end up being their jobs. BUT BUT BUT, investigate every team in the league to the exact same degree and handle things the same way.  The other side of the coin here is that unless something can be proven, Mitchell should be fined by the league for slanderous comments

2 hours ago, Steve Fanitage said:

Lol. Yup. You don't try to smooth things over. Don't defend all things Rider at all.

I defend the things rider that I feel need defending, isn't that what any lifelong fan of any team does?  I'm by far one of the most critical fans of our team and expect accountability from our coaching staff. This issue isn't any different.

What the heck is the point of doing this if you suck this bad?

Rich raises some interesting points too.  If the team is paying for food and housing, compensating players in such a way, but its unofficial, you'd have to think that violates some sort of Canadian law.

But really, the idea they are cheating in multiple ways and still suck is hilarious. 

23 minutes ago, Mike said:

I don't think it's where I "draw the line", because the rest of the stuff is pretty bad too but I do agree, you can't have unsigned players on the field.

When teams bring guys in for workouts in season what is the correct process? They get an audience with the coaching staff on the field like a mini-combine but they can't participate in the actual formal practice I would assume? If it's a WR trying out for example would Danny Mac have to throw to him and not a rostered QB?

1 minute ago, Nash00 said:

When teams bring guys in for workouts in season what is the correct process? They get an audience with the coaching staff on the field like a mini-combine but they can't participate in the actual formal practice I would assume? If it's a WR trying out for example would Danny Mac have to throw to him and not a rostered QB?

I have no first hand knowledge of anything but I kind of thought one of you practice roster qb's likely would throw for him. Its a good question. I would think that no one on the actual roster could practice with him.

12 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

What the heck is the point of doing this if you suck this bad?

Rich raises some interesting points too.  If the team is paying for food and housing, compensating players in such a way, but its unofficial, you'd have to think that violates some sort of Canadian law.

But really, the idea they are cheating in multiple ways and still suck is hilarious. 

The payoff for doing something like this is not immediate.  If they really are bringing in mass amounts of players, they payoff for this will be next year and on going if they keep doing it.  They will have a constant supply of cheap players that have already been vetted and have had time to learn the system and can step in for injuries and players leaving in free agency.

24 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I agree, this number seems suspiciously high... but if people are saying 96... how do we know it not 40 or 50 or even 60??

It might be 10 players too, cuz even that would be a lot. I believe that Jones is pushing the limit and the number of players is more than other teams are 'hiding' so it's become an issue. Even the CFL admits to knowing it's happening.