Is Henoc Muamba pi**ing away his football career?

Funny thing, I was just thinking back about 5 years......remember when EVERY spring we'd go "Is this the year Montreal takes a major fall-off??" and they never did. Then *BAM*.....they didn't just blow a tire, but the whole engine has seized up on the side of the highway. That team is a wreck right now...

It's weird how Popp just suddenly fell apart as soon as Trestman left.  He wasn't just coasting on Calvillo, he recruited and built some genuinely great teams for a decade. Those teams were loaded with talent everywhere.

Kinda sad, I like seeing Montreal lose after all the miseries they've put us through but I don't want any team in the CFL to be a complete gong show.

Edited by johnzo

While I want the league to be strong, I'm also sick of us being responsible for bailing out these Eastern teams (plus BC) because they don't have enough fans to make a go unless they're winning all the time. Toronto especially....just makes me sick how much has been done to prop them up over the years. 

I think it's funny that Montreal missing the playoffs, with more wins than we had BTW, for the first time since 1996 is considered a train wreck. Only making the playoffs once in 7 years is a train wreck.

Popp is a much better GM than he is a HC. I can't understand why he didn't hire a real HC. Last year, they were a decent QB away from making the playoffs and Glenn is a decent QB. They are a team we need to beat (Along with Regina and Vancouver) to make the playoffs this year. Our games against them will be very important IMO.

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

I think it's funny that Montreal missing the playoffs, with more wins than we had BTW, for the first time since 1996 is considered a train wreck. Only making the playoffs once in 7 years is a train wreck.

Popp is a much better GM than he is a HC. I can't understand why he didn't hire a real HC. Last year, they were a decent QB away from making the playoffs and Glenn is a decent QB. They are a team we need to beat (Along with Regina and Vancouver) to make the playoffs this year. Our games against them will be very important IMO.

They were a decent OC away from making the playoffs...  Calvillo was terrible.

Montreal, as with many of the CFL teams can go in several directions. 

They still have the brain of A. Cavillo, a couple of very good RBs in Rutley and Sutton. Some damn fine receivers in Stafford, Duron, Green and Cunningham et al .,Some good defence - Woods, Cox, Bowman, Venable, Hiebert, Elsworth, Cash et al. They have some questions on the Oline (for a change) and a huge ? at Head Coach. 

And oh, the overall framework of Popp horseshoeing everybody he could get into his roster by scrimping 10K off the backs off some hard-working vets. Are they going to care the same way?

And the mess at QB? Dressing 7? That's wild.

2 hours ago, johnzo said:

It's weird how Popp just suddenly fell apart as soon as Trestman left.  He wasn't just coasting on Calvillo, he recruited and built some genuinely great teams for a decade. Those teams were loaded with talent everywhere.

Kinda sad, I like seeing Montreal lose after all the miseries they've put us through but I don't want any team in the CFL to be a complete gong show.

I almost wonder if Wetenhall Jr. isn't taking more of an active role in running the team into the ground.  Papa was pretty hands off.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

41 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Milt kept saying that the Als D co-ordinator doesn't actually want to be there.  What was he talking about?

Thorpe tried to resign in the off-season even though he had 2 years left on his contract which has no escape clause. There was talk of his becoming DC in Edmonton. Here are more details (the rest of the article can be read by following the link) :

The root of the apparent enmity Noel Thorpe holds toward the Alouettes organization began festering last August, when owner Robert Wetenhall decided to fire head coach Tom Higgins. Three scenarios were discussed — give the job to general manager Jim Popp, promote Kavis Reed or Thorpe — the defensive coordinator coming third.

The second strike occurred one day after the conclusion of the regular-season, when it was announced Popp, who replaced Higgins, would continue coaching the Als in 2016. But the final straw may well have occurred last week, when special teams co-ordinator Reed, a former head coach at Edmonton, was promoted to assistant head coach, a position Thorpe also holds.

To retain Reed’s services, the Als had to appease him with that title — similar to the promotion Thorpe received in 2014, when the Ottawa Redblacks came calling. Nothing unusual to that. But Thorpe wasn’t notified of Reed’s promotion.

Thorpe had every reason to believe he was being groomed to become the Als’ next head coach. Now, it would seem, that position will eventually go to offensive coordinator Anthony Calvillo and, if he’s not ready, perhaps Reed will keep the seat warm. Temporarily.

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/football/cfl/montreal-alouettes/noel-thorpe-leaving-montreal-alouettes-possibly-headed-to-edmonton-eskimos

Edited by Jacquie

8 hours ago, Jacquie said:

Thorpe tried to resign in the off-season even though he had 2 years left on his contract which has no escape clause. There was talk of his becoming DC in Edmonton. Here are more details (the rest of the article can be read by following the link) :

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/football/cfl/montreal-alouettes/noel-thorpe-leaving-montreal-alouettes-possibly-headed-to-edmonton-eskimos

Actually, what happened here was the Eskimos were seeking permission to interview Thorpe for the HC job first - and Popp (Or Wettenhall) either refused permission or demanded compensation (which doesn't exist in the CFL btw). Esks said no thanks and then hired Jason Maas who was given permission to talk to the Eskimos. But then the REDBLACKS wanted compensation! Really??? THERE IS NO COMPENSATION - it's not the NHL. 

Eskimos lost all their staff pretty much the day after winning the Grey Cup - if anyone thinks those deals weren't going on before the playoffs even started then I got a nice green pasture field in the north pole to sell you. That's why this league is a joke - Esks should have sued the Riders for tampering but they didn't. The league should have fined (heavily) the Riders for tampering - but didn't, but they got to have 'hearings' for the Esks signing Maas to a PROMOTION after seeking and getting PERMISSION from the club he was coming from. Hervey gave them all the finger and in the end Ottawa was told to pound sand. 

I hope we get a new commissioner soon, I don't like this Jeffrey Orridge guy at all. He's a joke - he doesn't have a clue. All these fancy new stadiums being build have a great chance of being giant weed growers the longer this clown is ruining  running things

Edited by KptKrunch

8 hours ago, KptKrunch said:

Actually, what happened here was the Eskimos were seeking permission to interview Thorpe for the HC job first - and Popp (Or Wettenhall) either refused permission or demanded compensation (which doesn't exist in the CFL btw).

Actually Herb Zurkowsky's has a LOT more credibility on the subject of what happened with Thorpe than you will ever have. I think you're confusing Thorpe with Steinauer who was interviewed for the HC position. The Ticats initially didn't want to grant permission for the Esks to talk to him but then later granted it. There are no reports of Thorpe being a candidate for the HC job.

Edited by Jacquie

7 hours ago, KptKrunch said:

Actually, what happened here was the Eskimos were seeking permission to interview Thorpe for the HC job first - and Popp (Or Wettenhall) either refused permission or demanded compensation (which doesn't exist in the CFL btw). Esks said no thanks and then hired Jason Maas who was given permission to talk to the Eskimos. But then the REDBLACKS wanted compensation! Really??? THERE IS NO COMPENSATION - it's not the NHL. 

Eskimos lost all their staff pretty much the day after winning the Grey Cup - if anyone thinks those deals weren't going on before the playoffs even started then I got a nice green pasture field in the north pole to sell you. That's why this league is a joke - Esks should have sued the Riders for tampering but they didn't. The league should have fined (heavily) the Riders for tampering - but didn't, but they got to have 'hearings' for the Esks signing Maas to a PROMOTION after seeking and getting PERMISSION from the club he was coming from. Hervey gave them all the finger and in the end Ottawa was told to pound sand. 

I hope we get a new commissioner soon, I don't like this Jeffrey Orridge guy at all. He's a joke - he doesn't have a clue. All these fancy new stadiums being build have a great chance of being giant weed growers the longer this clown is ruining  running things

Seeing that:

1) You have previously declared that you are no longer a Bomber fan

2) You think the CFL is a joke

Why do you still bother to post on a Bomber/CFL board?  It really doesn't make sense for you to waste time on things that you have declared that you don't care about.

Edited by WBBFanWest

4 hours ago, Jacquie said:

Actually Herb Zurkowsky's has a LOT more credibility on the subject of what happened with Thorpe than you will ever have. I think you're confusing Thorpe with Steinauer who was interviewed for the HC position. The Ticats initially didn't want to grant permission for the Esks to talk to him but then later granted it. There are no reports of Thorpe being a candidate for the HC job.

And no team in the league asked for compensation for an assistant coach to get a promotion - aside from Ottawa with Jason Maas.

So, getting back to Muamba, Justin Dunk at 3DN has a nice article about where Henoc may land should he decide to to look at a CFL return.

http://3downnation.com/2016/06/10/whats-canadian-lb-henoc-muamba/

Dunk figures that the most likely spots would be Edmonton, so he would be with his brother, Cauchy. Or Sask., they need all the national depth that they can get. I would agree with this.