Grey Cup Profit: $7.1M

Rich

http://www.bluebombers.com/2016/04/11/winnipeg-football-club-generates-7-1-million-of-net-profits-from-103rd-grey-cup/

WINNIPEG, MB – The Winnipeg Football Club today announces the club generated $7.1 million of net profits from hosting the 103rd Grey Cup game and Festival events.

“The profits were aligned with our original projected targets for the Winnipeg Football Club. We would like to thank all our amazing season ticket members, corporate partners and fans across the CFL for making the 103rd Grey Cup a resounding success.” said Wade Miller, President and CEO of the Winnipeg Football Club. “We also thank all of our volunteers, committee members and staff for their tireless efforts throughout year-long planning and week of the Grey Cup. We appreciate the support of the City of Winnipeg, Province of Manitoba, and the Winnipeg Convention Centre for helping us set the new standard for future Grey Cups.”

The 103rd Grey Cup profits more than doubles the $3.2 million of net profits the Club earned from hosting the 94th Grey Cup game and Festival in 2006.
The Club already paid $1.5 million of the Grey Cup profits to Triple B Stadium Inc., as Triple B funded stadium improvements in advance of the 103rd Grey Cup.  The remaining $5.6 million of Grey Cup profits forms part of the Club’s long-range plan to provide financial stability going forward.

Additionally, the economic impact of the 103rd Grey Cup on the City of Winnipeg from visitor expenditures and local resident disbursements was substantial; the total combined activities of the week-long celebration contributed $80 million in benefits, primarily to the City of Winnipeg.

The Winnipeg Football Club is ready for the 2016 season and looks forward to hosting its first preseason football game on Wednesday, June 8th against the Montreal Alouettes. The club will kick off the 2016 regular season on Thursday, June 24, also against Montreal.

I will just leave this here. I wonder if Paul is going to post a follow-up.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2015/08/21/smallest-grey-cup-crowd-in-decades

Miller told us back in April the big game would generate profits of between $4 million and $7 million.

He wasn't talking this week, other than through a hastily prepared statement

Edited by Super Duper Negatron

9 hours ago, JCon said:

Let's not forget that a lot funding came from the Province and City. So before Wade goes patting himself on the back too much, we all kicked in to help secure these "profits". 

I am sure everyone is happy the Bombers are working on their portion of the debt. I know government involvement can be a sore point but just think Arlington Texas owns the 1.3 Billion dollar stadium the Dallas Cowboys play in. The Dallas Cowboys make a a bit of money too (620 million in 2014) and are worth supposedly 4 Billion dollars but could not afford to build their own stadium (or chose not to). The Bomber are paying a big part of IGF .

So when you hear the Bombers are paying down their debt even if it is slowly then I would have to say it is a good thing. 

2 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

I am sure everyone is happy the Bombers are working on their portion of the debt. I know government involvement can be a sore point but just think Arlington Texas owns the 1.3 Billion dollar stadium the Dallas Cowboys play in. The Dallas Cowboys make a a bit of money too (620 million in 2014) and are worth supposedly 4 Billion dollars but could not afford to build their own stadium (or chose not to). The Bomber are paying a big part of IGF .

So when you hear the Bombers are paying down their debt even if it is slowly then I would have to say it is a good thing. 

No doubt, not denying that but...

The Bombers are paying down their debt, with the help of more, borrowed,  public funds.

The City, the Province both benefitted greatly with having the Grey Cup here. Probably even earned more money than they kicked in for the game. But, the Bombers also were the benefactors of a new stadium, a renovated Convention Centre, etc. This is probably the best case scenario where all parties benefit, so thumbs up!