Offensive Analysis?

Mark H.

Just now, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Wow, terrific analysis.  Who is this guy?

Don't know who he is but I learned a lot. Much of what he said we already suspected, like how awful Picard was. I certainly agree that personnel was the key issue.

Oh no, you can't blame Bellefueille..His record speaks for itself and he has been so super successful every where he went....Give me a break for cripes sake....This guy better talk to people in the know from Mont. and Ham....he might learn something.

Very nice read. Where the **** is this type of stuff in the WFP???? Honestly, for all the posters getting bent out of shape for the back lash at Doug Brown. This is a great article, that's not positive, mostly negative. But a great read.

Not convinced on his play design comments, but otherwise very well done with a lot to make you think about.

Anyone know if he has other articles out there? - EDIT- Just answered my own question....

Edited by Bigblue204

An interesting article that underlines many flaws the Bombers had last year, many of which had already been pointed out, but I get the distinct impression that Bellefeuille is being shielded in this article and many of his flaws were glossed over. It's no coincidence that recognizing our offensive plays did not take wizard to figure out, and it wasn't very hard to 'guess' what play was coming. Even though we may have had inferior players, I'm not sure how good you have to be to overcome that fact.

19 minutes ago, pigseye said:

Even with good players, Marcel has never risen above average in his career. Only great coaches will get you where you need to go otherwise, they will just hold you back.

....Does this guy write for the leos....Sounds like he's trying to pump MB;s tires and get him some luv on the coast...lol...Of course he's not the oc there, and that might be a good thing, as they have a lot of other problems.....As for Marcels time as oc, especially here, I'll never forget how bloody mad and frustrated I got last year at his play calling...especially in the red zone... Inept and glad he's gone.

Edited by Stickem
missed word

3 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Very nice read. Where the **** is this type of stuff in the WFP???? Honestly, for all the posters getting bent out of shape for the back lash at Doug Brown. This is a great article, that's not positive, mostly negative. But a great read.

Not convinced on his play design comments, but otherwise very well done with a lot to make you think about.

Anyone know if he has other articles out there? - EDIT- Just answered my own question....

See the responses in this thread.  Media outlets cater to the lowest common denominator, the gut feels, the pitchforks.

No scheme is going to cover Patty Neufeld or Dominic Picard getting their asses handed to them play after play on the interior.

We can necro some of the love from the Lapolice thread from when he was hired 4 weeks into the season when the same people have the same complaints and thought the coach would fix it.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

The reason the mainstream media would never print something like that is because the editor would realize that most laymen would get about three paragraphs in and go crosseyed.  I really enjoyed it (and I know nothing).  If Im a Freep editor Im asking the writer if we can print it.  Perhaps including a weekly column that focuses more on information for "deep" fans would be a positive for the newspaper.  Because even if you don't really understand a lot of it, it did a good job of explaining things and educating.

5 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

It would be interesting to hear his thoughts on MB's time in MTL as well, and why with the same Oline they improved so much under another coach the following year.

It's not that simple.  Montreal brought in Trestman as HC in 2008. He recognized Calvillo's ability as a quick release pocket passer and developed a max protect system where Calvillo would thrive.  Willy does not have the quick release or accuracy that would allow Lapolice to implement a similar system.  

Unless Chungh continues to improve, Neufeld moves to 6th OL, Goossen steps up and they find an American RT in camp, I wouldn't expect much better results.  I don't agree with everything the author wrote, but I do agree that a QB like Willy needs an OL that can dominate in pass protection.

What pleased me in the article is that he recognizes that not all the sacks were on the oline. Willy himself can shoulder some of the blame because he holds the ball far too long.

What the author fails to do though is point out that a large part of the reason that the personnel wasn't up to snuff wasn't just the lack of skills but the lack of coaches being able to correct errors and bad behaviours. 

24 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Is it fair to assume that having a back like Harris, who can catch and who is strong in pass protection and two receiving options like Smith and Dressler will take away some of those issues?

It will help, but effective offence starts with protection from the interior. Khari Jones could tell you what can happen when you have weapons at the skill positions but don't have adequate protection from the OL. Heck, Lapolice knows about that too - the more things change...

20 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

See the responses in this thread.  Media outlets cater to the lowest common denominator, the gut feels, the pitchforks.

No scheme is going to cover Patty Neufeld or Dominic Picard getting their asses handed to them play after play on the interior.

We can necro some of the love from the Lapolice thread from when he was hired 4 weeks into the season when the same people have the same complaints and thought the coach would fix it.

Eeeeewwww!