Nichols signs 1 year deal with Bombers

Mike

7 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Gives Davis another year learn and improve

makes sense....

don't normally do this but so what.....

Your comments are short, but they pack some punch, you always get right to the point..... often a point other people have missed.

Edited by Mark F

Montreal is currently carrying 8 QB's on their roster.  I would think at least 4 will be cut loose or traded before the end of TC.  The top 4 on this list are relatively unproven but full of potential, and all 4 will likely have a safe landing with other CFL teams if cut.  I think they'll probably keep Glenn, one vet and two of these guys for future development, good place to go shopping imo.  Too bad the Bombers already burned the bridge with Tajh Boyd.

Boone, Anthony

Boyd, Tajh

Bridge, Brandon

Cato, Rakeem

Crompton, Jonathan

Glenn, Kevin

LeFevour, Dan

Marsh, Tanner

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

6 hours ago, iso_55 said:

No, this is a good signing. Name me another qb who can backup Willy & be effective? A free agent qb from another team not coming here to be the starter that would have been a better signing than this? Don't say Harris as he would never sign here to be the backup.

My entire point is that with Willy blew out his knee last year and sat out the season, we shouldn't be signing the 'best backup'... we need to be looking at a potential starter - as in, maybe he beats Willy out of camp

I would rather spend $$ on Harris than signing another Moore or Hurl...  

35 minutes ago, Floyd said:

My entire point is that with Willy blew out his knee last year and sat out the season, we shouldn't be signing the 'best backup'... we need to be looking at a potential starter - as in, maybe he beats Willy out of camp

Ate you talking a out Trevor Harris or Andrew?

Because Trevor is not signing for backup money and it was rumored that he wanted to be the highest paid qb.

No way is he signing in Winnipeg to be a back up at any cost. To suggest he would is ridiculous.

I really don't like Nichols at all. I'd like to say I think it's a good signing and I guess it is for the right price. I'm not even trying to be negative. I hoped that they would go out and find someone better. 

9 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Montreal is currently carrying 8 QB's on their roster.  I would think at least 4 will be cut loose or traded before the end of TC.  The top 4 on this list are relatively unproven but full of potential, and all 4 will likely have a safe landing with other CFL teams if cut.  I think they'll probably keep Glenn, one vet and two of these guys for future development, good place to go shopping imo.  Too bad the Bombers already burned the bridge with Tajh Boyd.

Boone, Anthony

Boyd, Tajh

Bridge, Brandon

Cato, Rakeem

Crompton, Jonathan

Glenn, Kevin

LeFevour, Dan

Marsh, Tanner

They can keep all of them. 

3 hours ago, Floyd said:

But Floyd, Willy is the starter so Harris won't be coming here. 

I don't understand the negativity around this signing. Signing  a back up quarterback is kind of tricky. Who wants to be the back up quarterback? Nichols is surely as good as other back up quarterback. He did well with Edmonton. frankly I am surprised he got signed. I was expecting him to look for a starting position as well. I feel better about QB position this upcoming year than many previous years. Now let's get some big nasty linemen: offense and defence.  Call me optimistic but if we had another defensive line threat like Westermann to make double teaming more difficult and a solid Oline  the BB win/loss line would look a lot better. Maybe quicker developing plays and a quicker release (experience sometimes helps here) 

Holy cow I have almost wiped 2015 out of my brain already and am in full pre training camp mode. It is a long time until June.

9 hours ago, Floyd said:

So you want to invest 20% of your salary cap into the QB position? What you're suggesting makes very little sense.

39 minutes ago, Mike said:

So you want to invest 20% of your salary cap into the QB position? What you're suggesting makes very little sense.

I am assuming that Walters built a contract for Willy that does not guarantee $400k for just existing... (I hope).  Basically, in the same way, Tate and BLM's contracts were built, its probably around $250k for base and then incentives/bonus for games started, awards, etc...  realistically, you're looking more around the $600k mark.

Look at Ottawa - Burris $450k (?) and DeMarco $150-200?  Durant $500k and Smith $150?  Jennings and Lulay...  Not unheard of to hit 15% of your cap for QBs.

I would also hope that Walters paid a fairly big bonus to Willy in the first year of his extension leaving space for this year but who knows.

But Boltus to Brohm to Nichols is just creeping up the scale towards mediocrity... 

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

I am assuming that Walters built a contract for Willy that does not guarantee $400k for just existing... (I hope).  Basically, in the same way, Tate and BLM's contracts were built, its probably around $250k for base and then incentives/bonus for games started, awards, etc...  realistically, you're looking more around the $600k mark.

Look at Ottawa - Burris $450k (?) and DeMarco $150-200?  Durant $500k and Smith $150?  Jennings and Lulay...  Not unheard of to hit 15% of your cap for QBs.

I would also hope that Walters paid a fairly big bonus to Willy in the first year of his extension leaving space for this year but who knows.

But Boltus to Brohm to Nichols is just creeping up the scale towards mediocrity... 

I can't decide if you're just understating Nichols' ability, or overstating that of Boltus and Brohm. 

As far as backup qbs go Nichols is pretty good. I wouldn't want to rely on him every week to be the starter, but he's experienced and has some ability to move the ball. That's pretty much the best you hope for in a backup qb. The only time you see a better situation is when a younger player is coming in and pushing the established veteran starter. This is the best quarterbacking situation the Bombers have had going into a season since probably Khari Jones and Kevin Glenn were both here. 

9 hours ago, iso_55 said:

They can keep all of them. 

No they actually can't.  Now, if you're referring to the potential talent of the top 4 names I think you're being far too hasty in dismissing them after a few appearances.  If cut I expect every one of the 4 would be scooped up by another team.  Crompton and LeFevour if healthy, could still find a spot as backups.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

7 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

No they actually can't.  Now, if you're referring to the potential talent of the top 4 names I think you're being far too hasty in dismissing them after a few appearances.  If cut I expect every one of the 4 would be scooped up by another team.  Crompton and LeFevour if healthy, could still find a spot as backups.

The thing I remember about LeFevour is that as well as he could run he was a horrible passer. Not very accurate as his throws were all over the place. I wouldn't want him as a backup to Willy. Crompton instead of Nicholls,, ha, ha. No way.

Edited by iso_55

On January 5, 2016 at 10:26 AM, do or die said:

Sage move.

Say what you want about the guy....but he is far and away better than any of our  "recruits" lately.   Which, of course is a root problem round these parts.

I'd say it was more than a sage move. I would say the move has some parsley, rosemary and thyme too.