LaPolice new Bombers OC

Mr. Perfect

at the Press conference La Police said

no Moss, not that, not the cone of silence....

actually they said they might be reworking that.

and westwood pointed out that some assistant coaches probably like the no interviews policy.

good press conference.

It's interesting that that was brought up and handled. As MOS said, the policy will be discussed and reviewed. I don't have an inkling of what they'll do, although I don't expect them to change it. Having said that...now I know they'll change it, BUT, having just said that...

Yes, it was a good interview and we were told 4-5 candidates were considered.

LaPo did state that he turned down an org. this weekend. Love to know which team...

My guess is OC in BC.

I dont really mind the team policy about only the HC speaking to media.  It makes sense from a business perspective.  For the media and fans, we want to know...and we want to examine every word for hidden messages.  So I understand why people dislike it.

If its me, I make my coordinators available at specific times (some sort of formal pre/post game media availability) and thats it.  If you trust your coordinators to coordinate, you should trust them to speak to the media.  Both Hall and Lapo are perfectly able to do that.

Lawless tweeting that the Riders are taking a ton of Jones' Esks staff with him. 

I'll be very curious to see what the hires are in BC and Edmonton. Are they going to be scrambling to find decent coordinator hires? I feel like a lot of Bomber fans would be saying that same thing if we were in their place currently.

Also, I think the CFL and the Riders have set a dangerous precedent with hiring Jones away from a current contract. Will be interesting to see if it happens again at some point and if the league ever decides to change it. Personally I think Edmonton got screwed losing a head coach currently under contract, and now having all his assistants go with him. At least most of the assistants aren't under contract.

Your post makes absolutely no sense at all. Dangerous precedent?? Coaches leave teams all the time for promotions. Its happened many times, only difference this time is the Esks crying about it. We let Ritchie Hall out of his contract to go to Edmonton to be the HC there. We let Kent Austin out of his contract right after we won the grey cup to go coach in the NCAA.  Many examples where this has happened.

Its pretty rare to see a HC with a contract leave for another team. Hall's move to Edmonton was from assistant to head coach. Austin was leaving the league. Neither of these are the situation Jones was in. Its considered a promotion because of the GM title and so that's why it was allowed, but employed head coaches moving to another team is actually pretty rare.

Let me get this straight here. Going from Head Coach to VP of football operations/ General manager and HC is not a promotion in your books?  Jones is accountable only to Rider President Craig Reynolds, he is in charge of everything. AND doubled his salary. In my mind I would say that qualifies as a promotion.

Nowhere in his entire post does he say it's not a promotion. What I think he's saying (and what I'd agree with) is not that the Jones move should not be allowed, but that any moves like this in the future should at least be tied to some compensation going in the other direction.

I like Lapo the person (I think that's what a lot of people are caught up in -- they like Lapo the person and ignore the slate of coaching evidence) and I'm happy he's involved in the organization. i'm always a fan of good PEOPLE being involved. Do I think Lapo is the best choice for OC right now? Absolutely not. Am I going to give him a chance to prove himself....again.....? Of course....I'm in favour of anyone who can try and keep Drew Willy upright. 

o.k...who is the best choice and why?

I like Lapo the person (I think that's what a lot of people are caught up in -- they like Lapo the person and ignore the slate of coaching evidence) and I'm happy he's involved in the organization. i'm always a fan of good PEOPLE being involved. Do I think Lapo is the best choice for OC right now? Absolutely not. Am I going to give him a chance to prove himself....again.....? Of course....I'm in favour of anyone who can try and keep Drew Willy upright. 

I've never claimed to be smart enough to know that....but I am concerned about Lapo,  based on precedent, and I think that's justified. 

Lawless tweeting that the Riders are taking a ton of Jones' Esks staff with him. 

I'll be very curious to see what the hires are in BC and Edmonton. Are they going to be scrambling to find decent coordinator hires? I feel like a lot of Bomber fans would be saying that same thing if we were in their place currently.

Also, I think the CFL and the Riders have set a dangerous precedent with hiring Jones away from a current contract. Will be interesting to see if it happens again at some point and if the league ever decides to change it. Personally I think Edmonton got screwed losing a head coach currently under contract, and now having all his assistants go with him. At least most of the assistants aren't under contract.

Your post makes absolutely no sense at all. Dangerous precedent?? Coaches leave teams all the time for promotions. Its happened many times, only difference this time is the Esks crying about it. We let Ritchie Hall out of his contract to go to Edmonton to be the HC there. We let Kent Austin out of his contract right after we won the grey cup to go coach in the NCAA.  Many examples where this has happened.

Its pretty rare to see a HC with a contract leave for another team. Hall's move to Edmonton was from assistant to head coach. Austin was leaving the league. Neither of these are the situation Jones was in. Its considered a promotion because of the GM title and so that's why it was allowed, but employed head coaches moving to another team is actually pretty rare.

Let me get this straight here. Going from Head Coach to VP of football operations/ General manager and HC is not a promotion in your books?  Jones is accountable only to Rider President Craig Reynolds, he is in charge of everything. AND doubled his salary. In my mind I would say that qualifies as a promotion.

Nowhere in his entire post does he say it's not a promotion. What I think he's saying (and what I'd agree with) is not that the Jones move should not be allowed, but that any moves like this in the future should at least be tied to some compensation going in the other direction.

I understand your position but ask why is this any different than any of the other moves?

I understand your position but ask why is this any different than any of the other moves?

Because of the effect it's having on the franchise you don't cheer for.

My guess is OC in BC.

That's a decent guess, but I wouldn't rule out Ottawa, because Lord knows, Paul LaPolice would look horrible in a plaid lumberjack shirt.

Lawless said LaPolice was offered the job in Ottawa (assuming Maas leaves), and another team was also interested (Montreal I think). Lawless also said LaPolice was going to interview in B.C., but then accepted the job with the Bombers.

Someone who hasn't failed here twice already for obvious reasons. Lapo has been stuck on TSN for the last few years, that says something to me about how in demand the guy is. Yeah he's the most experienced candidate out there... but that isn't exactly much to hang your hat on. 

Someone who hasn't failed here twice already for obvious reasons. Lapo has been stuck on TSN for the last few years, that says something to me about how in demand the guy is.

Don't be a *****. Who would you hire?

Listen to the press conference. He turned down a job while he was working for TSN and had multiple offers this offseason.

Someone who hasn't failed here twice already for obvious reasons. Lapo has been stuck on TSN for the last few years, that says something to me about how in demand the guy is. Yeah he's the most experienced candidate out there... but that isn't exactly much to hang your hat on. 

If you listen to the press-conference LaPo explains his decision making process over the last few years and yes he did have opportunities to coach again.

On one hand, the man has failed here twice before which makes me less than excited. On the other hand the lack of experienced, capable offensive playcallers speaks for itself currently. We got the second best (I don't buy Cortez is retiring) person out there that has experience, but he's still a B level coordinator at my best in my opinion.

Apparently while doing his TSN gig he's attended 10 NFL camps held to improve and come up with new offensive Offensive plays. A guy who is willing to do that on his own dime and time is serious about improving his OC abilities. Time to forget about the old days guys. Give him a break.

Lapo has also been a frequent guest coach with the Argonauts the past couple of years, maybe he picked up a thing or two.

Grow some balls and throw out a name, you contemptible harpy

LOL! Oh my stars...

I don't know if I call his head coaching stint a "failure", as he did get us to the Grey Cup in 2011.  In 2012 he was Mack's fall guy.  I don't think that Lapo should have been fired in 2012.  That was a terrible move, and set us up with Droopy Dog for a year and half of misery. 

Lapo deserved to fall, but not till the end of the season. The concern was over how in-demand Burke was at the time (seen as the next Sure Thing HC candidate, at that time) and that we might lose him if we didn't promote him quickly. Lapo had dug his own grave, tho...

I have already said I wanted Khari Jones, but I'd have taken someone like Jarious Jackson or someone else in that vein too. I didn't like Lapolice the first time he was here and I didn't like him the 2nd time, what's going to change the 3rd time? I a sick of hearing about how much he learned in his time away, people spun the same BS about Bellefool when we dragged him back too. 

I hear what you are saying but I think that when you look at the available crop of OC's out there, the pickings weren't abundant.  Factor in the fact that O'Shea knows that this hire has to absolutely be solid, or it's the last one he's going to get to do here and you can understand why he went with LaPolice.

I have already said I wanted Khari Jones, but I'd have taken someone like Jarious Jackson or someone else in that vein too. I didn't like Lapolice the first time he was here and I didn't like him the 2nd time, what's going to change the 3rd time? I a sick of hearing about how much he learned in his time away, people spun the same BS about Bellefool when we dragged him back too. 

As far as K Jones goes, he doesn't have a large body of work to judge, so you can't really say he'd be better than LaPolice.  Jackson, it appears, isn't available.  The field is pretty narrow at the moment, so we got who O'Shea feels is the best of what's out there.  

I don't know if I call his head coaching stint a "failure", as he did get us to the Grey Cup in 2011. In 2012 he was Mack's fall guy. I don't think that Lapo should have been fired in 2012. That was a terrible move, and set us up with Droopy Dog for a year and half of misery.

One could argue LaPo was the last successful Bomber coach. At least he made a Grey Cup.