LaPolice new Bombers OC

Mr. Perfect

and people talk like his time in Sask was so unbelievable, but other than 2009, when they were 2nd in Offense, he was 7th and 6th in Offense while in Sask....

He had Steven Jyles, Michael Bishop, & Marcus Crandell all play qb for him in 2008. Being anywhere but dead last with that group is a testament to the quality of his work.

Which raises a good point about QB injuries under Lapolice given the problems here. Both times he was fired by the Bombers a major reason was struggling to scheme to protect the QB, even with a good running game. Khari's career all but ended under him with the beating he took in 03, Buck was obviously fragile but didn't get much help, Jyles had an injury here at the end of 2010 that essentially ended his useful CFL career.

How much can we rely on his time away to change his mentality? He had a lot of time to grow between 03 and 2010 and his offensive philosophy didn't seem a whole lot different.

Picard was a good signing but it didn't work out, I understand why Picard was brought in, I don't think he's a good guy to be using as an example, he was a vet presence on a young line, yeah he struggled but i think bringing in Picard was more about him mentoring Goossen and the youngsters more than anything, Did they expect him to be as bad as he was? probably not but sometimes, free agent signings don't work out.

Chevon Walker? I dunno who gets the blame there, I want to almost put it on MB since MB seemed to be a guy who would rather play guys he was more familiar with, Aaron Kelly is another guy that MB loved, bombers let him go tho.

I don't really see the point in beating this topic to death...

I guess when it comes right down to it, Lapo has been away for a few years, he talked a good talk at the press conference, he's always trying to improve and get better, I think some people expect to see the same O we saw a few years ago when he was head coach but... I doubt it will be the same, similar for sure but.... with new wrinkles thrown in for sure.

Think Lapo is probably the right hire, I think over the last 3 years or so he's grown, he's learned new things, he's a smart guy, perhaps he was in over his head as head coach... I think our O will be alright this year with a few upgrades and I don't even think they need to rehaul the O talent that much even, New RB (Harris), New guard and Tackle would be nice... cuz Bryant,Chungh and Goossen is a nice start on the line... Run the ball more, MB abandoned it too much, the other teams knew we weren't gonna run the ball so they just teed off on the oline and qb's, need some balance there to stop teams from knowing what's gonna happen.. Hell, when we the people knew what play was coming next, you can bet your butt that the other teams knew it too... 

Lapo, yup he's failed before but... so has every other guy out there that we spoke too. 

Not sure there  was one guy out there that would make everyone happy. 

I guess i'll say this...

SAsk is getting all this praise and omg look at what they are doing, they are gonna be awesome, bombers hire lapo and it's like oh yeah? lapo is back...not so much hype.

Sometimes, it's the signings that guy little hype that turn out to be the best ones and the ones who get the most hype, sometimes they are the ones that fail. 

We shall see what happens. 

Upgrade the RB position, the backup qb position(s), maybe a receiver or 2 and i think this team will do some very good things. 

Well of course Sask is happy and getting the praise.  They went out and hired a guy that wins championships!  What does Lapo have....zero championships.

And the one thing we know about "The Trinity" is that they like to do things by committee. MOS certainly has final say on most things, but they encourage everyone to participate in discussions....

Stand by, because I think the trinity will be transformed into the quarternity OR my preferred TETRAD (a group or set of 4).

LaPolice makes it the top 4...

good idea...... trinity  bombed

and people talk like his time in Sask was so unbelievable, but other than 2009, when they were 2nd in Offense, he was 7th and 6th in Offense while in Sask....

He had Steven Jyles, Michael Bishop, & Marcus Crandell all play qb for him in 2008. Being anywhere but dead last with that group is a testament to the quality of his work.

Which raises a good point about QB injuries under Lapolice given the problems here. Both times he was fired by the Bombers a major reason was struggling to scheme to protect the QB, even with a good running game. Khari's career all but ended under him with the beating he took in 03, Buck was obviously fragile but didn't get much help, Jyles had an injury here at the end of 2010 that essentially ended his useful CFL career.

How much can we rely on his time away to change his mentality? He had a lot of time to grow between 03 and 2010 and his offensive philosophy didn't seem a whole lot different.

The O-line was definitely our achilles heel during the Milt, Khari, & Charlie years.  They were easier to ignore with spectacular talent at the skill positions.

I don't really like or dislike the hiring of Lapo.    It kinda Meh to me as anything is better then what we had.

The positives i see about the LAPO hire is that he has shown that he can run a productive offense when there is talent at the QB position.. But he has also struggled to adapt to shitty QBs.. 

We have gone off the board with OCs and failed horribly.  The Management can not afford to risk hiring an up and comer that may fail horribly.  The rest of the team has done their part and kept us in games when the offense was consistently going 2 and out.

The last time around Lapo had Buck Pierce and a shitty o-line to work with and some talented receivers to work with. I think the Oline has been upgraded, if only marginally since the last time he ran the offence and the QB position appears to been drastically improved with willy (time will tell).

If Brohm and Marve had not been the QB for those several weeks after Willy got hurt i feel we would have won some of the games and been in the playoffs.  But.  The Offense was so predictable that i was calling out run plays before the ball was snapped.

I think Lapo is probably the best OC available and has the potential to be great here this time around.  But its far from a sure bet. 

The last time around Lapo had Buck Pierce and a shitty o-line to work with and some talented receivers to work with. I think the Oline has been upgraded, if only marginally since the last time he ran the offence and the QB position appears to been drastically improved with willy (time will tell).

I like Willy a lot but he's got a ways to go before he's at the level Pierce was when the Bombers signed him. Our receivers are a lot worse than they were when Lapo was here and it's up for debate how good the OL was because our qbs got the crap beaten out of them last year too so I don't know how you can sit there and say "we're so much better than last time!" We might be better, but a lot of that rests on the coaching, and Lapo has a bad record getting Bomber qbs killed. 

I like Willy a lot but he's got a ways to go before he's at the level Pierce was when the Bombers signed him. Our receivers are a lot worse than they were when Lapo was here and it's up for debate how good the OL was because our qbs got the crap beaten out of them last year too so I don't know how you can sit there and say "we're so much better than last time!" We might be better, but a lot of that rests on the coaching, and Lapo has a bad record getting Bomber qbs killed. 

Disagree about Willy vs Pierce.  Pierce had a bum throwing shoulder by the time we got him.  He also had really bad happy feet.  He had the odd good game, but not many.  He was the definition of game manager here.  I don't want to look it up but I feel like Willy had more 300 yard games in his first year here than Pierce had in his Bomber career.

Agree that our OL now is significantly worse than 2010-2011.  IMO, we had below league average play at every spot this season.  Some hope for Chungh and Goossen, but need a lot of help, probably more imports until some NI's show they can play.

I was lynched by my friends due to my dislike of Pierce at the QB position from day one. Didn't think he was much in BC and didn't expect anything from him in Blue and gold (I was right). Great guy though. But I feel a lot better going into next season with Willy now, than I would with Pierce even in his prime. I'm betting we see a much improved Oline. Likely will be the most improved aspect of the team (assuming the talent we have stays). I'm more concerned about our Rec now. It will be a true test to see if it was routes or talent that was hurting them these past few years. I suspect it's somewhere in the middle. Hopefully Moore returns to his down field threat skills that we saw in BC. And denmark actually gets to see more then 1 ball a game.

Pierce was broken when he got here.. He was a shell of his former self. I think willy has shown more then pierce did in his time here and was able to take a hit until the season ending hit.  

Re-read my  comments.  I said "I think the Oline has been upgraded, if only marginally"  not a ringing endorsement is it?   No where did i state that "we're so much better than last time!"  But i did say the he had some talented recievers to work with..  i've only said that the qb appears to be dratically improved.

Stop applying your own agenda/bias to other peoples comments.

I'm more concerned about our Rec now. It will be a true test to see if it was routes or talent that was hurting them these past few years. I suspect it's somewhere in the middle. Hopefully Moore returns to his down field threat skills that we saw in BC. And denmark actually gets to see more then 1 ball a game.

It's very difficult to observe the routes our receivers ran last year by watching on TV. But I was told, from an observer field level, that the routes were run practically to the same depth, which of course, makes little sense.

Now, if there are STHs, or even casual game by game observers who can confirm or dispute that, please, let us know.

It would explain a lot about the failings of that offence.

I'm more concerned about our Rec now. It will be a true test to see if it was routes or talent that was hurting them these past few years. I suspect it's somewhere in the middle. Hopefully Moore returns to his down field threat skills that we saw in BC. And denmark actually gets to see more then 1 ball a game.

It's very difficult to observe the routes our receivers ran last year by watching on TV. But I was told, from an observer field level, that the routes were run practically to the same depth, which of course, makes little sense.

Now, if there are STHs, or even casual game by game observers who can confirm or dispute that, please, let us know.

That's absurd and can't say I saw that at all.  Always deep routes, intermediate.  Fewer deep throws after Willy went down because the QB's weren't good/comfortable, including Nichols.  If the routes were ran at the same depth all the time you literally would complete about 20% of your passes maybe.  That's someone with an agenda IMO.

Not to pump up the hiring but a lot of success and failure also depend on injuries, personel, locker room attitude etc, things mostly out of control of the coordinator.

Damn.  Should have kept Bellefeuille.

That's absurd and can't say I saw that at all. Always deep routes, intermediate. Fewer deep throws after Willy went down because the QB's weren't good/comfortable, including Nichols. If the routes were ran at the same depth all the time you literally would complete about 20% of your passes maybe. That's someone with an agenda IMO.

Not to pump up the hiring but a lot of success and failure also depend on injuries, personel, locker room attitude etc, things mostly out of control of the coordinator.

Damn. Should have kept Bellefeuille.

A bit different, even with a supposed upgraded O-line, a healthy Willy, he still couldnt generate functional offense.

Pierce was outstanding his first two games in 2010 at home versus Hamilton and Toronto. Got hurt shortly after that and was never the same. 2015 Drew is better than 2010 Buck.

Honestly, he had a stellar game 1 and racked up some garbage time yards at the end of game 2. Then yes, he got hurt and was fairly awful the rest of the time he was here.

That's absurd and can't say I saw that at all. Always deep routes, intermediate. Fewer deep throws after Willy went down because the QB's weren't good/comfortable, including Nichols. If the routes were ran at the same depth all the time you literally would complete about 20% of your passes maybe. That's someone with an agenda IMO.

Damn. Should have kept Bellefeuille.

A bit different, even with a supposed upgraded O-line, a healthy Willy, he still couldnt generate functional offense.

81-106 76% 1134 yards (283 per game) 7 TDs 1 INT in games Willy started and finished.  

Looks pretty functional to me.  If you put the best 4 games by all QB's combined in Lapolice's last stint here it would probably pale, and two of those games would be Joey Elliott.

Change was needed, but let's be realistic.  Lapolice over Bellefeuille is not likely to be a significant upgrade.  The significant upgrade will be personnel based.  Let's hope that Walters & Co are being realistic too.

That's absurd and can't say I saw that at all.  Always deep routes, intermediate.  Fewer deep throws after Willy went down because the QB's weren't good/comfortable, including Nichols.  If the routes were ran at the same depth all the time you literally would complete about 20% of your passes maybe.  That's someone with an agenda IMO.

I should have stipulated that that observation was for only the @ BC game. And that would fit more into what you're saying because, with a Willy in the lineup, it seemed to me there were more deep routes, or more of the playbook was open.

After Willy got hurt, I can see MB using less of the playbook, safer, shorter routes, with a deep route, now and then. I definitely could see more of a 'grouping' of receivers....which is never a good thing.

Anybody else?

I should have stipulated that that observation was for only the @ BC game. And that would fit more into what you're saying because, with a Willy in the lineup, it seemed to me there were more deep routes, or more of the playbook was open.

After Willy got hurt, I can see MB using less of the playbook, safer, shorter routes, with a deep route, now and then. I definitely could see more of a 'grouping' of receivers....which is never a good thing.

Anybody else?

I'm not talking about routes being different, the willingness and ability for the QB to make the read and hit the deep route was different.

Pierce was outstanding his first two games in 2010 at home versus Hamilton and Toronto. Got hurt shortly after that and was never the same. 2015 Drew is better than 2010 Buck.

Honestly, he had a stellar game 1 and racked up some garbage time yards at the end of game 2. Then yes, he got hurt and was fairly awful the rest of the time he was here.

Toronto came back in the second game. It was not garbage time at all.

I'm not talking about routes being different, the willingness and ability for the QB to make the read and hit the deep route was different.

It's not a stretch to say that one wouldn't affect the other, now would it?

Wouldn't affect play design as much as the order of the reads and the decisions of the QB pre-snap.