Around The League Off Season Discussion

Noeller

The kid is a pure athlete, no question....but as a football player? I'm not sure. The physical attributes are so teasing to any football club..."if we could just teach him to be a football player!!" 

For immediate release:

June 1, 2016

The Saskatchewan Roughriders are pleased and relieved to announce that current player Jordan Reaves has been hired as a roving consultant to the Assistant Vice President of Football Operations and Administration Jeremy O'Day.  

According to General Manager and Head Coach Chris Jones : "This move will enhance our front office, giving us greater flexibility and versatility to cope with unknown situations, as they occur."

Edited by do or die

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

Eskimos' 2016 draft pick Doug Corby retires at 22, just two days into full camp.

This must suck big time for a CFL team and its fans. 

Meh, not a huge blow, really... just a sixth round pick.  Most teams will be cutting the guys they drafted in the sixth round anyways.

Meh, not a huge blow, really... just a sixth round pick.  Most teams will be cutting the guys they drafted in the sixth round anyways.

Yeah, this would be the equivalent of Alex Vitt retiring. 

Yeah, that was my mistake. I had more info in that post but I self-truncated the length. 

The point included 2 more retirees in the same time period. "the retirement of three Canadian players in the four days since training camp opened"

- 26-year-old former Toronto Argonauts fullback Zander Robinson - 28-year-old Canadian special-teamer and defensive end Mathieu Boulay - 22-year-old Doud Corby. 

Add that to the fact that there are heated 'arguments' in TC. And you have:

This must suck big time for a CFL team and its fans. 

Clearly this is Chris Jones' fault for the way he negotiates contracts. I am now hearing that Walters is in talks with players disgruntled about Jones and is offering a market correction. Obviously I have no sources to quote, but don't you dare question the truthfulness of my statement or it means you hate Walters and are not a Bomber fan. I will now stick my fingers in my ears and ignore all logical alternatives to my truth.

Edited by gcn11

Wow, John Murphy doubling down on the 'market correction' angle today...  just don't see the sense of going thru the media on this

What player will want to be drafted by Sask now?  I'd think even Wally paid Vaillancourt more than league minimum...

I just don't understand the logic. They aren't doing anything that won't be changed in the near future. "market correction" in this case is legit, "Don't want to pay what others are paying" and that's it. This won't have any impact on next years draft. It would have only worked if the entire league was in on it. But SSK is the only team talking this way. I don't see how this doesn't play out in a way that damages their rep among other players in the future.

There isn't a player out there who gives a **** about proper market "Worth". They all want to be paid, and will absolutely regard this as a stubborn GM refusing to pay market value for a top draft pick.

It boggles my mind that they are trying to play the game this way. I don't see how they come out on top here.

This is great news for the Bombers. Completely win-win.

If Jones is successful, this lowers the cost of rookie NI O-linemen. That's a win for us.

If unsuccessful, Jones creates a situation where players are less interested in signing with them. That's a win for us.

Grab some popcorn and enjoy.

4 minutes ago, JCon said:

This is great news for the Bombers. Completely win-win.

If Jones is successful, this lowers the cost of rookie NI O-linemen. That's a win for us.

If unsuccessful, Jones creates a situation where players are less interested in signing with them. That's a win for us.

Grab some popcorn and enjoy.

There's no way signing one player at a lower rate will suddenly set a new market for top picks... that's why this whole argument is BS... the market is already set... last year's first few picks and this year's first few signed picks are what the Riders will have to pay St John... otherwise he'll never suit up for them

21 hours ago, do or die said:

For immediate release:

June 1, 2016

The Saskatchewan Roughriders are pleased and relieved to announce that current player Jordan Reaves has been hired as a roving consultant to the Assistant Vice President of Football Operations and Administration Jeremy O'Day.  

According to General Manager and Head Coach Chris Jones : "This move will enhance our front office, giving us greater flexibility and versatility to cope with unknown situations, as they occur."

Update: The Saskatchewan Roughriders are please to announce that the current Consultant to the AVPFO has been promoted to Director of SMS contracts. GM Jones explained Jordan had done a terrific job as consultant and he wanted to insure they would be able to keep him.

10 minutes ago, bearpants said:

There's no way signing one player at a lower rate will suddenly set a new market for top picks... that's why this whole argument is BS... the market is already set... last year's first few picks and this year's first few signed picks are what the Riders will have to pay St John... otherwise he'll never suit up for them

On the micro level, for JSJ alone,  you're correct but on the macro level, if this is Jones' approach, we win.