Around The League Off Season Discussion

Noeller

On 4/13/2016 at 11:34 AM, wbbfan said:

I think its become a none decision for a lot of luke warm guys. The main stay of guys live and breathe football, and or dream of the nfl would chase that dream through the business end of a mack truck for a chance. 

Heenan has a real advantage, the reality for a lot of footballers from the US is they come from poverty and have nothing to fall back on.  They get accepted into college based on their athletic ability and are either unprepared for the challenge or blow off the opportunity provided to further their education.  The edumacational system in the States is a disgrace, I been there and dids it.

4 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

No mistake at all Mike. The reference to him being a RB coach was one perpetuated by a paper at his alma mater. I attended practices through all those years, and I can tell you sure as **** he was NOT the RB coach. Perhaps you should look at the Bombers official press release.

The Gryphon (Guelph's college newspaper) floated a rumor before he was hired that he would be joining the Bombers as STC/RB coach....a mistake they never bothered to correct after he was hired.

I guess Sun Media, ChrisD.ca and a number of other publications all have it wrong then because you saw with your own eyes. I guess when Ohio media called the Bombers to do a piece on Chris Garrett in 2012 and asked for comments from his coach, it was just a mistake that Kyle Walters was the guy they tabbed to do the interview. :rolleyes:

There are some things worth being stubborn about, but good grief is this ever not one of them.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I guess Sun Media, ChrisD.ca and a number of other publications all have it wrong then because you saw with your own eyes. I guess when Ohio media called the Bombers to do a piece on Chris Garrett in 2012 and asked for comments from his coach, it was just a mistake that Kyle Walters was the guy they tabbed to do the interview. :rolleyes:

There are some things worth being stubborn about, but good grief is this ever not one of them.

Rant detracted/.

Edited by gcn11

9 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Heenan has a real advantage, the reality for a lot of footballers from the US is they come from poverty and have nothing to fall back on.  They get accepted into college based on their athletic ability and are either unprepared for the challenge or blow off the opportunity provided to further their education.  The edumacational system in the States is a disgrace, I been there and dids it.

Thats also a very good point. perhaps the reason a lot of guys live and breath football is its their only chance. We all know stories of star cfl players who were doing menial jobs and struggling mightily before signing a cfl contract. guys coming from the AFL living off of peanut butter sandwiches to ricky ray  driving a delivery truck. 

3 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

Go **** yourself Mike. You jump into everyone's conversation like you're some kind of internet policeman and accuse people of condescension and then follow it up with equal doses of your own. Do me a favor and put me on ignore or ban me from this site, but please just **** OFF....I don't want to read your condescending bullshit anymore.

Don't get upset because you were condescending towards somebody and got called on it, despite being in the wrong the whole time.

PS I can't ignore you, I'm not allowed. :)

PPS if you wanted to have a conversation I can't "jump into", maybe don't have it on a public forum next time.

5 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Thats also a very good point. perhaps the reason a lot of guys live and breath football is its their only chance. We all know stories of star cfl players who were doing menial jobs and struggling mightily before signing a cfl contract. guys coming from the AFL living off of peanut butter sandwiches to ricky ray  driving a delivery truck. 

I thought Aussie-Rules paid their players pretty well.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Don't get upset because you were condescending towards somebody and got called on it, despite being in the wrong the whole time.

PS I can't ignore you, I'm not allowed. :)

PPS if you wanted to have a conversation I can't "jump into", maybe don't have it on a public forum next time.

No comment.

Edited by gcn11

4 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

You know Mike, fine you're right. For some reason the RB coach label seems to have stuck with KW for some reason. However, I know for a fact that while RBs were doing their thing at practice that KW was doing his thing with STs. I didn't attend every practice but never once did I see Walters with the RBs. If he wore that label it certainly doesn't appear on any official Bomber information. Why this ChrisD or anyone else has the idea that he was RB coach is beyond me. Why he was pegged to talk to the Ohio media...don't know. Just know what I saw from attending practices.

I don't really give a **** if you jump into conversations Mike. Just try not to be hypocritical when doing so. Accuse me of condescension and then condescend away in your response. I'm a big boy and can handle my lumps on a forum Mike. However, PMs telling me that my posts aren't worth reading and how disappointed you are in me, and bullshit like that is stuff you can keep to yourself.

I feel like this should have been a reply to one of those PM's

11 minutes ago, JohnnyOnTheSpot said:

I am VERY sure he was the rb coach.  I sat in front of their drills MANY times in the old stadium.

So did I...at least once a week. You and I saw things very differently. I saw him assist with DBs at times, even with Lbers, however I would not call him the DB or LBer coach. If he spent any time with the backs it was minimal.

Edited by gcn11

I'm not a fan of admitting when i'm wrong either but... man, That's quite the profanity induced rant there. Sometimes you just gotta let it go and move on and admit that maybe and in this case, it's not even a maybe, it's a you were wrong GCN11. Your eyes ain't what they used to be i guess?? 

I mean c'mon man, Mike, altho condescending at times, and even not so much anymore, perhaps years ago he was but... not so much anymore... all he really did was just post some facts... Hard to argue with that. Especially when your proof is you saw it with your own eyes..

I met a guy downtown once who told me he just saw a unicorn with his own eyes, he didn't but he was sure it was a unicorn. He was wrong lol and smelled like urine but still... he was wrong but damn it man, he believed he saw that Unicorn. 

Hell of a rant tho bro. 

Edited by Goalie

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Sports, rap or selling crack are the elite professions in many neighborhoods.  Here is an interesting documentary on Anthony Cavillo's early life.

7 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I'm not a fan of admitting when i'm wrong either but... man, That's quite the profanity induced rant there. Sometimes you just gotta let it go and move on and admit that maybe and in this case, it's not even a maybe, it's a you were wrong GCN11. Your eyes ain't what they used to be i guess?? 

I mean c'mon man, Mike, altho condescending at times, and even not so much anymore, perhaps years ago he was but... not so much anymore... all he really did was just post some facts... Hard to argue with that. Especially when your proof is you saw it with your own eyes..

I met a guy downtown once who told me he just saw a unicorn with his own eyes, he didn't but he was sure it was a unicorn. He was wrong lol and smelled like urine but still... he was wrong but damn it man, he believed he saw that Unicorn. 

Hell of a rant tho bro. 

Agreed. Having a bad day. Neither Johnny nor Mike deserved any of that. My apologies to them and to the rest of the forum for having to read it.

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

This Tweet emphasizes the long odds of success.

Did u know? Of 71,291 college football players last year, about 300 will make NFL rosters this year. #geturdegree pic.twitter.com/0IzrCU5pAk

1 minute ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Did u know? Of 71,291 college football players last year, about 300 will make NFL rosters this year. #geturdegree pic.twitter.com/0IzrCU5pAk

I saw that too. Wow. Puts things into perspective. I hope some parents read this tweet :-)

4 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Crazy odds. though i imagine that includes d2 and below, juco etc. If your playing at that level a pro football career is a crazy hail mary. That also doesnt include cfl afl etc. Though afl isnt much of a living short of 2 or 3 guys.

Ill have to check out that story about AC, ive never heard about his background but i know a few cfl guys have had some insane stories. 

6 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

It's unfortunate that out of 70 989 remaining players that we still end up with Aaron Kellys,  Chevon Walkers and Macho Harris.....

Not really related to anything but just thought I'd share this... I met Mike O'Shea over the weekend at a friend's social... my friend's dad has a friend who lives next door to him so he invited him to come... anyways, this was his first Manitoba social... we mostly chatted about the social prizes and he was impressed at some of the stuff they were able to procure... sorry I wasn't able to ask any hard hitting questions... in hindsight, the whiskey had hit me a little harder than I realized at the time and I don't remember much details of the conversation other than the social prizes and I told him I'm a long time season ticket holder and I was rooting for him to succeed...

Edited by bearpants

57 minutes ago, bearpants said:

Not really related to anything but just thought I'd share this... I met Mike O'Shea over the weekend at a friend's social... my friend's dad has a friend who lives next door to him so he invited him to come... anyways, this was his first Manitoba social... we mostly chatted about the social prizes and he was impressed at some of the stuff they were able to procure... sorry I wasn't able to ask any hard hitting questions... in hindsight, the whiskey had hit me a little harder than I realized at the time and I don't remember much details of the conversation other than the social prizes and I told him I'm a long time season ticket holder and I was rooting for him to succeed...

You massively failed this assignment.  Please redo.

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

he's starting his 3rd season as HC and this was only his first social?  Yikes!  Get it together Winnipeg! Invite MOS to every social from here on in!  Start the social media campaign! #MOSsocials

That's the first thing I thought when I read bearpants' post too, how the hell do you go that long without going to a social?