Around The League Off Season Discussion

Noeller

8 hours ago, bearpants said:

I think you're taking this "bottomless pit of money" concept far too literally... however, you do have some good points about our continued mediocrity and the one consistent factor...

I did it to make a point. Noeller says the pit is bottomless for the Stamps & it's not. They run the team lean. They don't want to pour a lot of money into the Hitmen, Roughnecks or Stamps. Rather they want to control the sports market in Calgary. They do what's necessary as far as running the Stampeders. 

I agree they have more money than the Bombers & a lot of the teams in the CFL have but most of the money is siphoned off for the Flames.

They also don't spend any more than other teams.  If they did, they'd have re-upped guys like Keon Raymond & Matt Walters as well as be big players in free agency.  The team doesn't make off season splashes by signing high profile coaches or free agents. The Flames haven't poured a lot of money into McMahon Stadium upgrades other than make the concourse in the north end zone more fan friendly with more concessions & add a few thousand theatre seats. Not a lot really. Ask Stamps fan here if they feel the team is ultra rich & the answer would be no.

Edited by iso_55

On 3/30/2016 at 11:15 PM, iso_55 said:

Why does it always have to be an either/or? I like the Stamps method, only 2 years  out of the last 27 seasons out of the playoffs, 5 Grey Cup championships, 8 appearances & the winningest record of all CFL teams since 1990. Always fielding a competitive, winning team. It doesn't have to be either/or. We just think it has to be that way as the Bombers have been an either/or team.

Yep, agreed. Like the Detroit Redwings, although they're life and death to sneak into a playoff spot this year. 

On 3/30/2016 at 4:54 PM, DR. CFL said:
On 3/30/2016 at 4:48 PM, Taynted_Fayth said:

At this point in time, I feel more a lot more comfortable in Osh/Lapo/Hall then i ever was with Osh/MB/Etch. I think we've gradually increased the talent and I expect a big turn around this season

If one was to do a historical review of the combination of longevity and ineptness I would hazard a guess that this current stretch of " the need for patience" would clearly win. In a produce driven business it clearly must be time regardless of who or where you want to point the finger of blame.

That isn't the kind of juice we were discussing, although I just love my Breville juicer and it produces a wonderful juice from produce that tastes great and gives me a lot of energy. I prefer to use organic produce though it does tend to be more expensive.  This kind of juice is most definitely performance enhancing juice but it can't be tested for that I know of and neither can the produce.  :-)

43 minutes ago, holoman said:

If anybody wants a good laugh check out Rod Pedersen on twitter. Picking Riders in first.  Mike Reilly even let loose on him

Idiotic.  Can't even say the Riders will make the playoffs, on paper way too many unknowns and hopefuls.  Jones and Murphy are good but their rebuild is massive and will take a couple of years before they reap rewards.

Fans or media alike the notion of predictions in itself is ridiculous. Too early, too many variables, we have experienced the impact injuries can have, lack of depth and other assorted unknowns can have especially at he QB spot. But he fires people up and sparks interest while the snow still flies.

So it seems that Orridge did the right thing, there will be no compensation to Ottawa for the Maas hiring in Edmonton. It's not that I don't believe this is not a topic worth discussing for the League, but bring it up at a manager's/ owner's meeting, it should not be tossed into the ring when there is no formal rules on this.

http://www.tsn.ca/no-compensation-owed-to-redblacks-for-maas-hiring-1.463269

On 3/30/2016 at 6:10 PM, iso_55 said:

The Bombers may be owned publicly but they still have to pay their bills like every other company. They have to repay their debt to the Province & have operating expenses they need to cover or they'd go broke. They have to have money in the bank to survive like any other company.

Spoken like a true accountant who doesn't know how to run a business

On 3/31/2016 at 6:28 AM, Bigblue204 said:

you realize there isn't a North american sporting league where the owners build the stadium right? Not even in the NFL. Governments take on the majority of the cost for these things. So it doesn't matter how much $$ a teams owner has when it comes to building a new stadium. It's the city that will have to take that on. If they aren't willing, the owners won't step up.

Though in CGY I'd be surprised if they don't announce one coming in the next year or two.

not in this oil economy

7 minutes ago, holoman said:

He also served as a volunteer special teams coach with the Rams (2006) and the Canadian Football League’s Winnipeg Blue Bombers (2008).

Huh, go figure.