Around The League Off Season Discussion

Noeller

If this was in Winnipeg, can you imagine what fans across the league (esp in that Troll Hole just to the west of us) would be saying about the Bombers:

The B.C. Lions truly got a bargain last season when rookie Jonathon Jennings emerged as starting quarterback for a salary of $52,000.

Without leverage when he signed a three-year contract with the Canadian Football League team in November 2014 for the league minimum, Jennings’ current deal calls for a bump up to $55,000 in Year 2. He reaches $57,000 in the final year (all figures in Canadian dollars).

With CFL starters averaging roughly $400,000 a season, it makes no sense for Jennings to attend training camp in June under terms of his current deal. His agent, Bardia Ghahremani, will see to it that he doesn’t

1 minute ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Interesting, wonder if wally budges, this is all on jennings for not getting a proper rep. And I dont think no showing is gonna help. Maybe he goes to that new league too

It's not really all on Jennings at all.

I'm on the fence in regards to holdouts in pro football. Contracts, unlike in the NBA, MLB and NHL, aren't guaranteed in pro football and the career length is much shorter. Because of those factors, I'm a little less inclined to criticize a player for holding out when they clearly deserve more. Let's be realistic here. Jennings is the starter, not Lulay. Why should he risk injury for minimum salary? He went lights out as a rookie and now he deserves to be paid. I don't think you bump him to 300-400k right away but I think the fair and right thing to do is at least give the guy an incentivized deal where he earns more if he's starting. It's just good business.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

It's not really all on Jennings at all.

I'm on the fence in regards to holdouts in pro football. Contracts, unlike in the NBA, MLB and NHL, aren't guaranteed in pro football and the career length is much shorter. Because of those factors, I'm a little less inclined to criticize a player for holding out when they clearly deserve more. Let's be realistic here. Jennings is the starter, not Lulay. Why should he risk injury for minimum salary? He went lights out as a rookie and now he deserves to be paid. I don't think you bump him to 300-400k right away but I think the fair and right thing to do is at least give the guy an incentivized deal where he earns more if he's starting. It's just good business.

Oh i do think he's worth more,  but you cant fault BC if they stuck to the 3 year contract they signed, honoring a contract is equally good business too. Im sure neither Jennings or BC thought he'd be the starter when they signed it,  Jennings should have either asked for a pay increase claus in the event he became starter in those 3 years, or at least got a better negotiator.  I think he'll get compensated in some way, but maybe it will still be a far cry from starter $ and BC has every right to play lowball. This might be why BC resigned Lulay just prior to FA as well

20 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Oh i do think he's worth more,  but you cant fault BC if they stuck to the 3 year contract they signed, honoring a contract is equally good business too. Im sure neither Jennings or BC thought he'd be the starter when they signed it,  Jennings should have either asked for a pay increase claus in the event he became starter in those 3 years, or at least got a better negotiator.  I think he'll get compensated in some way, but maybe it will still be a far cry from starter $ and BC has every right to play lowball. This might be why BC resigned Lulay just prior to FA as well

You're not going to get much budge from a GM on an entry deal into the CFL.

1 hour ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

BC can play hard ball if they want, that's their right.  If they exercise that right it will probably be the last contract Jennings signs with them, so Wally will break open the wallet.  He's just playing hard to get right now.

16 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I see it as a bad precedence if players start demanding more money after a good year despite the contracts they sign.  You can be fired for under performing, but raises are not a promised thing for over performing in any job

I think this is a unique situation though. It's not often you're going to find players getting paid a less than a 1/4  of what their peers get for playing the same position and being a starter. Jennings deserves more and I hope Wally refuses to give it him. Cause that means Lulay is starting and that is Great for the bombers!

20 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I see it as a bad precedence if players start demanding more money after a good year despite the contracts they sign.  You can be fired for under performing, but raises are not a promised thing for over performing in any job

but that pretty much already happens. Teams are always happy to rip up contracts and give out new ones or especially just release guys not earning their keep. Now I ain't sold on Jennings being the super star yet, seen too many rookie qbs have a hot start then get figured out to rush to proclaim them the next great thing, but the guy is getting a tiny salary for the position, he should be doing whatever he can to get at least back up qb money. 

I'm old school. When you sign a contract you've completed the deal. Wally should (probably will) offer him more money for extra years on the contract because that keeps everyone happy, but he doesn't have to.

If Jennings holds out, he can't play anywhere and won't make any money until the contract is over, unless he is traded and there's nothing in it for BC to trade him. 55K is a lot better than zero now and maybe starters pay in 2 years time. Players love to say, 'I had a great year. Tear my contract up because I deserve more', but I've never heard them say, 'I had an off year. I should take a pay cut even tho my contract says I don't have to'.

6 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Which also makes me wonder why hed agree to a 3 yr contract at minimum with only a 2k per year bump. What kind of wool was wally pulling over his eyes at the negotiation table

He was acting as his own agent.  If you're dumb enough to do that, you're probably dumb enough to sign whatever is put in front of you.

6 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Which also makes me wonder why hed agree to a 3 yr contract at minimum with only a 2k per year bump. What kind of wool was wally pulling over his eyes at the negotiation table

What kind of stupid agent does he have? It's Wally's job to get players for the least money and he plays hardball. It's the agent's job to get the best offer for his client. 3 years at league minimum? That's all he could get?

2 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

What kind of stupid agent does he have? It's Wally's job to get players for the least money and he plays hardball. It's the agent's job to get the best offer for his client. 3 years at league minimum? That's all he could get?

Read the article. Jennings did not have an agent at the time he signed the contract, he did the "negotiating" himself.