Around The League Off Season Discussion

Noeller

11 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Apparently he does.

http://www.stampeders.com/2016/02/26/walter-released/

Calgary Stampeders general manager John Hufnagel announces that the team has released national running back Matt Walter.

“I thank Matt for all of his contributions to the club over the past four seasons and wish him the best of luck,” said Hufnagel. “Although we did recently re-sign Jerome Messam, we have increased roster flexibility heading into the 2016 season and it’s no longer necessary for us to start a national at running back and to have a national backup.”

Walter was a fifth-round draft pick of the Stamps in 2011 and he joined the team in 2012. He played 59 career regular-season games — including 14 starts — for Calgary and accumulated 1,264 rushing yards and four touchdowns as well as 28 receptions for 217 yards. He was also a contributor on special teams with 11 tackles and eight kickoff returns for 160 yards.

The University of Calgary product appeared in eight post-season contests and was a member of the Stamps’ 2014 Grey Cup-winning team.

19 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Wouldn't he want to sign with a team that he actually has a chance to see the field?

Walter isn't a starter but he fills an important role. He allows the ratio to stay the same if Harris was injured. Plus he can actually play the position. He's not flashy but he works hard every time he carries the football. I'd love to see him here.

Oh man I'd love to have Matt Walter as a Bomber. I was always surprised at how little dropoff I saw in the Calgary running game whenever he spelled Cornish.

Having him would give us great roster stability in a position that sees a lot of injuries. We wouldn't have to destabilize another position on the team if Harris went down.

2 hours ago, johnzo said:

Oh man I'd love to have Matt Walter as a Bomber. I was always surprised at how little dropoff I saw in the Calgary running game whenever he spelled Cornish.

Having him would give us great roster stability in a position that sees a lot of injuries. We wouldn't have to destabilize another position on the team if Harris went down.

I really don't see what makes him so special just because he can spell Cornish. It's not a hard name to spell. C-O-R-N-I-S-H. Heck, even I can spell it and my spelling at times is atrocious.  :)