Around The League Off Season Discussion

Noeller

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

Probably nothing...  just needed more coffee.  Pinning our hopes on a 30 year old receiver and a Hamilton backup that seems like Darvin Adams 2.0 got me down for a bit.  I'm better now.  I really am.

I don't think anybody is pinning our hopes on 2 guys who we signed PRE-free agency. The article was just pointing out that some teams (including us) got the jump on signings before FA starts. This is a good thing.

I really do hope you're better now. :P

If we want Harris, we'll have to pay him big time.

According to Wally "We did offer him (Harris) a new contract during the season. It was a lucrative proposal which would have made him the highest paid running back in the CFL and it was not accepted." http://www.bclions.com/2016/02/04/free-agency-where-sometimes-the-best-fish-are-in-your-own-pond/

Edited by TBURGESS

- The #calstampeders have re-signed d-lineman & special-teams standout Ben D'Aguilar → ow.ly/XXK8R #CFLFA

- #Argos closing in on deals with Jermain Gabriel & Cory Greenwood. Jim Barker optimistic both will get done before Feb 9th. #CFL

- Canadian offensive lineman Wayne Smith and the Argos have reached an agreement on a two-year contract extension, per CFL sources.

- The #Argos have signed free agent RB Michael Dyer. #CFL

- Riders have basically told RB Kory Sheets "thanks but no thanks" with regards to a comeback with Saskatchewan

- Logically, it only stands to reason that the Bombers are going to make yet another splash on the first day of free agency in 2016. Rumors have swirled all off-season about Walters’ interest in receivers Ryan Smith and Kenny Stafford, defensive tackle Ted Laurent, running back Andrew Harris, safety Mike Edem, and kicker/punter Justin Medlock, among others. - 3down nation.

10 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

If we want Harris, we'll have to pay him big time.

According to Wally "We did offer him (Harris) a new contract during the season. It was a lucrative proposal which would have made him the highest paid running back in the CFL and it was not accepted." http://www.bclions.com/2016/02/04/free-agency-where-sometimes-the-best-fish-are-in-your-own-pond/

I disagree. I think this shows more that Harris was set on leaving BC regardless of the money they tossed at him.

^^Looks like Hamilton is stuck waiting on Laurent...^^

- CFL news Buono can get two Americans to carry the rock for the $200,000 it would take to keep Harris - @FifthQtr #CFL #BCLions 2/2

- Former #Calstampeders DB Brandon Browner indicates via his twitter and instagram he's no long a New Orleans Saint. #CFL #NFL

- in related NFL news..Johnny Manziel has been dropped by his agent. MORE: fw.to/YCFtTOi

*** late entry...

Edited by Mr Dee

9 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

If Harris was mad about being underused last season, why would he possibly sign on for this arrangement?

That would seem like a poor allocation of cap space.

I'm guessing it's not about being "underused" as he had 42 more carries than any other back in the CFL. I'm guessing it's how he was used and the coach.

13 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

How much is interest is Messam going to garner? He was unsigned during the season for how many weeks last year? If I remember correctly it wasn't until week 5 or 6 that he was picked up by Sask.

I think you are mistaken. He was picked up by the Riders in 2014...and played very well for them and then Calgary afterwards. Definitely has to be considered one of the better signings by Taman. He will garner a lot of interest.

40 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

I think you are mistaken. He was picked up by the Riders in 2014...and played very well for them and then Calgary afterwards. Definitely has to be considered one of the better signings by Taman. He will garner a lot of interest.

I thought it was quite strange for the Riders to trade Messam away last year after he had established his value.  They basically have no RB's left on their roster from previous years.  We'll find out just how many import RB's can be brought in for a dime.

2 hours ago, gcn11 said:

We should never have let him go in the first place. He was clearly better than Allen, IMO. Honestly wouldn't be disappointed if we got him back.

There are approximately 131 FAs left, as of noon Frid. The Bombers are said to have an interest in about half of them, if all reports are taken into consideration. But it should be noted that Walters has been busy restructuring many contracts behind the scene to put them in good position for next Tuesday.

Here's some of the latest in the CFL: 

OK, I may be kidding about the Bombers and all their interests..

Another late entry...

looks more and more like Ryan Smith won't sign with @sskroughriders and will hit the market. Told he's after in the range of $150 k per @cfl
Edited by Mr Dee