Around The League Off Season Discussion

Noeller

The thing about one off fluke winning seasons is you don't know they are one offs until at least a year later.  If the Bombers go 11-7 next year you know we will all be proclaiming it the beginning of a dynasty and you best believe the WSF will be sold out.  

I think there is a large group of people who would fill the stands for playoff games. Just going shopping the last couple of weeks I was amazed to see how many bomber jackets, toques, hats etc I saw. After that season you would think the jaded fans would have put the Bomber gear in the back of the closet ashamed to be seen near a big W. That is not the case. The fan base may not be as vocal as the Riders have but it is far deeper than what some of our posters think. 

I am not saying the Jets don't take center stage but, since I don't follow hockey that much I might be wrong, the Jets aren't exactly dazzling anybody with brilliance. If the bombers show some improvement the fans will come.

Edited by Fan Boy

5 hours ago, Mike said:

Then I feel like maybe not living here has allowed you to become disengaged with the reality of what happens here. You can say it all you want, if the Bombers hosted a playoff game, we'd fill the stands. And the crowd would be insane.

Your opinion. My opinion. 

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Nonsense. Even on tv you can tell that the stadium in Winnipeg is poised to explode if the team ever gives them anything to cheer about. Bombers pick up some wins and play an exciting brand of football the passion will ignite instantly because the fans are there and they are passionate. You are too much of a bitter old man but most people aren't so bitter. 

Coming from the guy who stands on a soapbox calling Winnipeg cheap everytime he can. Laughable. As far as a bitter old man goes, you must be in your thirties at least. maybe older. The way you get angry, post & insult people here by the time you're well on the way to being a bitter old man yourself. In 25 years you're going to be a real prize. 

Edited by iso_55

16 minutes ago, blueingreenland said:

My condolences to the family of Lawrence Philips. Yes, he was a troubled individual...but that may just serve to increase the sense of loss his family has at this time...

He was a murderer. What about the family of the guy he killed in jail? Don't forget about his family.  

Edited by iso_55

On 12/01/2016 at 0:33 PM, Rich said:

In what other sports league do the players make less then the coaches and GMs.  

Does NCAA count??

4 hours ago, BBRT said:

To quote Herb Brooks "Fool me once shame on you - Fool me twice shame on me" !

I'm fairly sure that's not a Herb Brooks original... :D

18 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Why people need to **** all over someone who just died, I'll never understand. Did your mothers teach you "if you don't have anything nice to say about someone, post it publicly to a message board?"

So suddenly after years of criticism by fans about being a bad dude we're supposed to feel sorry for Phillips? He lived the thug life & died the thug life. He was going to trial for murder. He was accused of killing his cell mate. I'm neither happy or sad he's dead. It is what it is. 

Edited by iso_55

1 hour ago, iso_55 said:

Coming from the guy who stands on a soapbox calling Winnipeg cheap everytime he can. Laughable. As far as a bitter old man goes, you must be in your thirties at least. maybe older. The way you get angry, post & insult people here by the time you're well on the way to being a bitter old man yourself. In 25 years you're going to be a real prize. 

I'm spiteful too, does that make anything I said incorrect?

17 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

So suddenly after years of criticism by fans about being a bad dude we're supposed to feel sorry for Phillips? He lived the thug life & died the thug life. He was going to trial for murder. He was accused of killing his cell mate.

What is, "Missing the Point" for $100, Alex.

9 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

What is, "Missing the Point" for $100, Alex.

Never thought I'd be in a discussion like this about Lawrence Phillips. I really don't want to continue it. Jimmy, if you feel that strongly the way you do then you're entitled to your opinion. I will defer to you.

Edited by iso_55

4 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

Never thought I'd be in a discussion like this about Lawrence Phillips. I really don't want to continue it. Jimmy, if you feel that strongly the way you do then you're entitled to your opinion. I will defer to you.

Why do you frequently do this?

I swear it seems like half of your posts are you saying "I don't want to talk about this", "I don't care", "I have no opinion either way"

It seems like you're spending a lot of time getting people riled up about stuff you don't really care about. If you truly don't care, don't broadcast it. You're allowed to *quietly* excuse yourself from a conversation or choose to NOT comment altogether without alerting everyone to the fact that you're not going to comment.

As for Filling up the stadium, I think if the team is winning, people will come out and support them. It's really that simple. Iso, for a guy who doesn't live in Winnipeg, you seem to like to think you speak for lots of Winnipegers. Winnipeg is a sports town, give the fans a team worth cheering for and that stadium is filled, they sucked the last 2 years and attendance was still pretty darn good. For a losing team at that. Yeah they didn't average 30,000 but not many places in the CFL do. Maybe only 1 or 2. 

I would suspect the Bombers even with the losing are TOP 3 maybe at worst TOP 4 attendance wise in the league. Not bad for a team who is losing. What's that say about the fans? It says we care and we will show up, if they start winning, the fans will fill that stadium. EASILY. 

10 minutes ago, Mike said:

Why do you frequently do this?

I swear it seems like half of your posts are you saying "I don't want to talk about this", "I don't care", "I have no opinion either way"

It seems like you're spending a lot of time getting people riled up about stuff you don't really care about. If you truly don't care, don't broadcast it. You're allowed to *quietly* excuse yourself from a conversation or choose to NOT comment altogether without alerting everyone to the fact that you're not going to comment.

Mike, give it a rest. I deferred to jimmy.I said I defer as I didn't want to carry on a back & forth. 

Edited by iso_55

Lawrence Phillips was a bad man and a loser and good riddance to him.

I don't see why there is a discussion on the guy or his family. He's dead good riddance , the only thing we can get out of this is that hes further proof that when signing talent it is important that the guy has his head screwed on right.

Frankly, Iso's posts don't bother me at all even though I don't agree with him much of the time. I find the sniping and attempts to control and shape a poster's posting style far more offensive. 

As for Lawrence Philips, his untimely passing is tragic, as is anyone else's, and since he was a footballer we feel like we maybe knew him a little better than we might a stranger. It's sad.

Interesting things being said today:

CFL News –  ‏@CFL_News

.@dominicpicard poised to join #AlsMTL after getting injury settlement of some kind from  #Bombers. #CFL via @

AND - as if we didn't already know this: (Ed Tait)

Where the Bombers were lacking in 2015 — and, yes, talent was an issue — was the ability to adapt and adjust in-game or during the course of the week, or to come up with any kind of wrinkle that might pose a problem for a defence. Case in point: after a Bombers loss early in the season, the victorious rival coach was asked about the Winnipeg offence. His answer? There was absolutely nothing the Bombers did that caught his side off guard.

AND - on the new Bomber offence:

Hey," said the New Jersey native who is entering his fifth CFL season, "any way we can win, I’m all for it. Some days, it might be running the ball. Some days, it might mean throwing it 50 times. Every week is different and the really good coaches out there play to their personnel. I think (LaPolice) will do a good job of feeding the guys he thinks will make us successful."

"My goal is to have us pick this up quickly as an offence and for all of us to get to that master’s level quickly," said Willy. "This is a big year coming up. I’m putting everything I can into it.
"Training camp can’t get here fast enough." - Drew Willy.

AND

2h2 hours ago

Blue Bombers ‏@Wpg_BlueBombers

Sukh Chung, Khalil Bass, @addigold & @GarrettWaggoner are sophomore stars to watch. >> http://ow.ly/X1oKM

Edited by Mr Dee
Had to