Around The League Off Season Discussion

Noeller

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

Interesting things being said today:

CFL News –  ‏@CFL_News

.@dominicpicard poised to join #AlsMTL after getting injury settlement of some kind from  #Bombers. #CFL via @

AND - as if we didn't already know this: (Ed Tait)

Where the Bombers were lacking in 2015 — and, yes, talent was an issue — was the ability to adapt and adjust in-game or during the course of the week, or to come up with any kind of wrinkle that might pose a problem for a defence. Case in point: after a Bombers loss early in the season, the victorious rival coach was asked about the Winnipeg offence. His answer? There was absolutely nothing the Bombers did that caught his side off guard.

AND - on the new Bomber offence:

Hey," said the New Jersey native who is entering his fifth CFL season, "any way we can win, I’m all for it. Some days, it might be running the ball. Some days, it might mean throwing it 50 times. Every week is different and the really good coaches out there play to their personnel. I think (LaPolice) will do a good job of feeding the guys he thinks will make us successful."

"My goal is to have us pick this up quickly as an offence and for all of us to get to that master’s level quickly," said Willy. "This is a big year coming up. I’m putting everything I can into it.
"Training camp can’t get here fast enough." - Drew Willy.

AND

2h2 hours ago

Blue Bombers ‏@Wpg_BlueBombers

Sukh Chung, Khalil Bass, @addigold & @GarrettWaggoner are sophomore stars to watch. >> http://ow.ly/X1oKM

Looks like the marketing team is back from Christmas break and revving up the machine for the coming season.  I for one am anxious to see how Addison Richards will be wearing his hair in 2016.

41 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Looks like the marketing team is back from Christmas break and revving up the machine for the coming season.  I for one am anxious to see how Addison Richards will be wearing his hair in 2016.

No, no, you're jaded. The CFL news was responsible for the tweet, Ed Tait wrote the piece on Drew Willy and CFL.CA STAFF put out the piece on the sophomores to look out for in their second year. (From this original story http://www.cfl.ca/2016/01/08/sophomore-stars-who-to-watch-in-2016/)

But you can still be anxious to see Addison's hair at TC. ??

Kind of surprised that Jacques Chapdelaine is being left out in this year's version of musical chairs as I thought he did a decent job in Sask. last year considering what he had to work with.  Wpg. and Ottawa were probably his best hopes for an OC position but in Wpg. at least he wasn't let go until after LaPo was already hired.  Does he end up being the default replacement on Coach's Playbook or has Tom Higgins already wrapped up the gig?  Higgins=charisma.

1 minute ago, wookie said:

no to chick , he is 33 ish, he did not look too good last year, but at the right price, maybe

Chick finished tied for fourth in the league in sacks with 11. Couple that with Westerman's 17 on the other side and that's some legit pressure coming off the edges.

However as you mentioned Chick is on the wrong side of 30. How long before double digit sacks become a thing of the past for him?

Just now, Noeller said:

We need to look at both of these gapper releases in the mindset of "It's 2016....not 2011...." Are they really worth the price tag they're going to command? I'm really gunshy after Picard this past year...

Agreed. That being said I'd look at Dressler for the right price (not sure what that would be admittedly) given his familiarity with Willy and Lapo. Chick I'd lean more towards passing on.