Penton: Wade Miller already recruiting assistant coaches for next year

gbill2004

iso. What should Miller do? Would you rather Penton writes that Miller is playing a Stradivarius?

Don't contact any team during the season. The season is over in a week. If it's a playoff team wait until they're eliminated or win the Grey Cup. Play by the rules & at least have integrity. Like I said, how would we like it if the roles were reversed? As fans we would be upset. What goes around, comes around.

Of course there is something to be said for ethical behaviour. Email messages or about working conditions would move towards a substantive evidence of ethical behaviour. On a scale Miller talking to a guy can not be stretched into symptoms of a circus as is Pentons rhetorical question. Or tampering.

All these execs, talk about compensation and other working conditions among themselves. It is not unreasonable in their small community to talk about future plans.

A casual talking to a guy during the season leads to the second coming of a notable performer at Assistant Coach, that's unacceptable?

Writing to the candidate, would be.

Any kind of contact.... any kind no matter if the conversation is casual or not is tampering. That's the way it is. You can't speak to any player, coach or manager about coming to work for another team during the season for coaches or if a player is under contract. Sorry, if I want to be at least proud of the ethics & character of the Bombers. I have little else to be proud of on the field or in the standings. 

Note:  New motto for next season.  "We may not be good but at least we're ethical."

For me, the issue is not about any tampering that may or may not have gone on. A $5,000.00 fine, big deal. And, as others have said, it probably goes on more than is let on (nudge-nudge-wink-wink stuff), but IF the report is accurate and IF it was done without O'Shea's initiative, it spreads poop on the whole organizations structure, Miller, and Walters but it especially impacts O'Shea. If O'Shea is seen as too inept to choose his own people that is a very bad comment on our current head coach. O'Shea seems to be a decent sort, and deserves respect.

news papers like the gossip, why not, who knows how true or what contexts it was in, did he have dinner with khair jones in bc two weeks ago and said come back to wpg, who knows

but i doubt that it would be much more than that, but u never know. if he did, he will not be the last one, and sure was not the first one to do this

All this crap about tampering, and we have no idea if the guy Miller was talking to is currently under contract. Miller can talk to anyone that is not employed right now, and there are some excellent assistant candidates currently out of work. For all we know he was talking to Mike Benevides, or Tom Higgins, or Paul Lapolice, etc. etc  etc.

This tampering talk is just pure unfounded speculation. Nowhere does it say he was talking to people currently under contract and unless he is the world's worst tamperer I don't for one minute believe that he was.

For years, people lost their minds around here because our management team didn't do enough. They screamed about how other teams were proactive, even if it meant bending the rules a little bit. Finally, we have a 3-man (Maybe 4, if you count Wade as 2 people...) crew that works together in lock-step on all issues (as has been reported ad nauseum) and is reportedly so angry about how this season turned out, they're now already working toward fixing things for next year. 

And people continue to wail. 

Let's all just take a step back and relax a bit....

All this crap about tampering, and we have no idea if the guy Miller was talking to is currently under contract. Miller can talk to anyone that is not employed right now, and there are some excellent assistant candidates currently out of work. For all we know he was talking to Mike Benevides, or Tom Higgins, or Paul Lapolice, etc. etc  etc.

This tampering talk is just pure unfounded speculation. Nowhere does it say he was talking to people currently under contract and unless he is the world's worst tamperer I don't for one minute believe that he was.

Benevides & Higgins... you would still need to ask permission to BC & MTL.  Of course they'd say yes, but they still have contracts so it's part of the process.

I like the idea of bringing back LaPo.  I'm sure he'd be open to it too, knowing O'Shea will have a short leash, and no one from the Mack era that rushed him out there door is left!

Benevides & Higgins... you would still need to ask permission to BC & MTL.  Of course they'd say yes, but they still have contracts so it's part of the process.

I like the idea of bringing back LaPo.  I'm sure he'd be open to it too, knowing O'Shea will have a short leash, and no one from the Mack era that rushed him out there door is left!

I'm not sure if LaPolice is the best choice. He was so cautious in his playcalling that it seemed that he was more concerned about not losing rather than winning. Higgins seems to be the best alternative.

I'd say the same about Higgins... aside from the few games he was in play this year in Montreal, he's been away from the game for a while.

Be it recycled experienced coaching, or testing the waters on new guys.... we've had no success.  So it's pretty much a coin flip!  I did hear a while back Mike Kelly wants to get back in the CFL.  With O'Shea's 'no one talks to my co-ordinators' policy... maybe it could work!  :lol:

Lawless has said both Walters and O'shea will be back... He didn't say anything about anybody else tho, including Hall. 

Who is to say Miller hasn't talk to Benevides to replace Hall, Maybe Noel Thorpe in Montreal, Lots of names out there actually

As for the OC position, Khari,Lapo, Dyce, Jarious Jackson, Marcus Brady... who really knows... 

I don't see the issue in any of this really, I don't believe Miller would do this without both Walters and O'shea signing off on it... and that was my big concern at first... After some thought and seeing as how they all seem to be on the same page so far, It wouldn't surprise me if Walters and O'shea both gave Miller a list of names they are interested in and asked him to reach out and gauge their interest, nothing wrong with that. 

If he talked to a guy on another team, big deal, cuz obviously he got permission to talk to him, if not, oh well, teams do it all the time. 

No, you do not need permission from b.c. or montreal to talk to higgins or benevides. IF...you hire them then the stipulations as to a payout - if that has not happened already, comes into effect. But they are fired...anyone can call them with inquires...

Some talk that While Hall is considered to be a GOOD DC, the bombers may want an DC who is a bit more agressive and less conservative, Halls big knock is he isn't aggressive enough as a coach, I could see him being replaced actually. I'm fine if he stays and I'm fine if he goes, Personally, I'd love to see a DC who is a little more aggressive on the field, Think Chris Jones, Noel Thorpe,Orlando Steinhauer types, Hall is good but, a little too bend but don't break. 

Just saying but if you could get a guy like Benevides or Steinhaur or even Noel Thorpe to come here as DC, wouldn't you almost have to do it?  Also some talk that Benevides was actually the guy they wanted last year but he decided to take time away from Football, if you could get him this year, you'd almost have to wouldn't you? CFL seems to be going the way of the more aggressive in your face type of D, That's not exactly what Hall is known for, Hall is like Greg Marshall, Bend but don't break.

when I think of aggressive coaching, I just remember Creehan running around the sidelines, screaming his head off looking like a complete **shole out there... now if we're talking schemes, then yes, would be all for it!   :D

Well, that's definitely what i meant... hence the think Steinhauer,Jones,Thorpe type... Benevides even. 

The last thing I'll say about this topic in general... a few weeks back, the riders were very rumored to be interested in Hufnagel, so much so that he had to come out and basically say those rumors are bs.... sure they might not have "talked" to him but... it was widely reported that they were interested in him, Now their goof pederson is saying Jim Popp is another guy that they might have interest in, Popp is under contract just like Hufnagel... yet no big outcry that they might be interested in them. Miller talks to people or who even knows what he did or didn't do and it's a big deal? Yet hufnagel had to come out and say the rider rumor is BS? I don't get it

Riders do it, it's ok... Bombers do it, and we don't even know to what extent Miller did it, and it's not ok?

Messed up man, right messed up. 

bombers may want an DC who is a bit more agressive and less conservative

Hall's D has been good enough to keep us in every game down the stretch. With any kind of consistent offense we win most of those. Let's not forget he started the season with a smallish group still unlearning the Etch-a-sketch method.

Maybe it's b/c I can remember Reinebold's "high risk, high reward" defense which turned out to be high risk, low reward I take "aggressive" with a grain of salt. Just run a D that works and we have been lately. 

Also I thought O'Shea was considered aggressive himself as ST coordinator but he seems to not want that in his staff.

No, you do not need permission from b.c. or montreal to talk to higgins or benevides. IF...you hire them then the stipulations as to a payout - if that has not happened already, comes into effect. But they are fired...anyone can call them with inquires...

Benevides - no. Higgins - yes. Higgins is still under contract to Montreal so they would have to give their permission to talk to him (unless his contract has already been bought out by the Als).