Odds and Sods - Game 16 Winnipeg Blue Bombers at Ottawa Red Blacks

do or die

Raining...slick field...

ST continues its big play mode....

Wild forces fumble....Castillo recovers own KO

But deep handoff on 3 and 1...Blue stuffed on said wet field

Just one more moronic call on O...

RB's say thank you....

...and drive 95 yds for TD on their first possession....

Burris having easy pitch and catch session, for first half...

Nichols overthrowing....happy feet....looks bad...

One first down on O, in opening quarter....

Ottawa O - quick tempo, spreading field, quick passing...

Bomber O - slow tempo, all passing in front of DB's

Wild playing well....but only takes part of the snaps...

Marshall only guy doing anything on O.....

But Bombers seem to lose track of him, for long stretches...

While D. Scott accomplishes nothing.... except a fumble....

Tony Burnett had a forced fumble and a sack....as part of rotation....

the FB lining up as WR....very tricky, no?    No.

Bombers D gave up ton of yds...but good in red-zone...

Hurl not that quick in pursuit.....

Too many missed tackles after the catch, overall.....

Bucknor still the opposition's go-to guy....

Blue Offense had all those popguns snapping....

..ZERO points..3 first downs and 34 passing yds in 1st half....

16-0 Red Blacks at the half...with 21 minutes TOP!

Bombers come out with 65 yd TD drive....

...as they discover that when Marshall is involved....

...Nichols can run play action and half rolls.....

...and complete some passes...

Too bad 3 of them went to the Red Blacks.....

..including 2 to (sigh) Jovon Johnson....

Overall, pass pro not bad....

Goossen looking pretty good...

Bomber D runs out of gas in last 3 minutes...

Ottawa gets long TD drive to go up 27-9

Bombers get a face saving drive for late TD...

Then Ottawa gets cute and turns it over on downs....

Nichols hits Denmark for TD....with 30 seconds left

...some more lipstick for this pig.....

Down 27-24...short kick miracle?

...it goes 10 yds...RB's recover...no rabbit in hat.....

Pretty good 60 minutes from special teams, tonight...

..too bad D and O can't do the same....

..as yet another disastrous 1st half...puts Blue behind 8-ball

....and puts playoff spot in dire jeopardy...

...and puts my liver at risk as well....

MOS has had a lot of time to realize Bellefeuille is a dud yet to this day keeps defending him.  He has an all star linebacker play spot duty while his Cananidan counterpart would be a serviceable backup on another team.  MOS might be a good HC but his stubborn mentality is not doing him any favours. He did get a fair shot at improving the team's play but unless we are lucky we will be no better than last year.

He seems to have done some good with the ST as that's his speciality so maybe that is where he should work. 

I still support MOS but it's getting tougher each and every game as |I watch a pretty good defence lay it on the line and a offence that can only properly execute a dozen or so plays per game.   

You cant win by continually crapping the bed for the first 50 minutes and then show some spark in the last 10.  The fact that we were in position to tie is only because of the defence.   

Again the score was flattering. Ottawa shutdown there passing game in an effort to play safe and use up the clock believing that there was insufficient time for Winnipeg to erase the deficit. Calgary did exactly the same thing against Winnipeg and it almost cost them the game. I was surprised at Dickenson's similar play selection at the end of that game. It just distorts the picture and compiles misleading garbage yards in the stats.

Again the score was flattering. Ottawa shutdown there passing game in an effort to play safe and use up the clock believing that there was insufficient time for Winnipeg to erase the deficit. Calgary did exactly the same thing against Winnipeg and it almost cost them the game. I was surprised at Dickenson's similar play selection at the end of that game. It just distorts the picture and compiles misleading garbage yards in the stats.

So you're giving no credit to the defence for their performance in the 2nd half?   FWIS I didn't see the Redblacks letting up but our defence upping their game.  

Unfortunately it took them until the 2nd half to make the adjustments.   

The defence did play better granted. But when the opposition's offence turns to a more conservative game plan it also contributes to a more effective defence does it not? The fact remains that the a Bombers have failed to play 60 minutes of quality football in a number of games.

Well, don't forget guys - we don't have our #1 guy at QB in there. That hurts us. I didn't say anything and still won't - just remember I'm an Esks season ticket holder. I've watched Nichols here for 5 years. I saw what he did this year - there's a reason why he's a Bomber for a 7th round pick. Again, he's far better than anything we had after Willy - far better - but that's not meant as a compliment to Nichols, that's a complete slap in the face to the ineptitude of the Wpg Blue Bombers organisation as a whole for the past 25 years in terms of them being able to recruit their own QB and groom him to be a CFL star. Did I say 25? I meant 35 - Danny McManus was the last one - the last contribution the Bombers made to the CFL in the QB department. And even though we've found some gems at RB and WR and LB, overall if you can't get a QB you're going to be the Wpg Blue Bombers - this team we've watched for going on three decades. Every 10th year or so we catch lightning in a bottle, but with no proper recruiting and development system it's a flash, a fluke, not a culture - and that's pretty obvious.

Good write up DoD - as usual. Thanks and hope your hang over isn't too bad ;)

two games left, probably going to lose both…. record this year and record last year, together…. pretty bad.

About 12 people in chat last night. Mostly for the jokes.

Down from high forties earlier in the year.

Even hard core fans have lost interest. People with tickets not going to games.

People don't want to hear the excuses. Other teams could use the same excuses, but win instead.

There are going to be changes made. 

0-9 against teams with winning records

Can't play anywhere near 60 minutes in a game

Never prepared or ready to start strong, out of the gate

Can't win 2 games in a row, no matter who the opposition is

Leads the league, by a wide margin, in garbage time minutes...

This does not look even remotely like a playoff team.   

More excuses forthcoming....because we have an endless supply of those.....

One thing this team has shown lately is that the defense can and will make good adjustments as the game goes on. Just a god damned shame that the offense can't do jack **** to help them out. 16 points in the first half considering the TOP is remarkable, imagine if the O had done anything and put up a touchdown or something then? This offense is terrible, just all around terrible.

We retained Marcel, for this year.   Big mistake.

We didn't dump him early in this season.  

Despite the total futility, we didn't dump him mid-season, deciding to ride out the year with him.  

How many clues did the our brain trust really need, to make an essential move, to give us some sort of chance?

Hope that the folks who kept talking to me about stability, making panic moves, not being able to find an OC, after season start, etc, etc....are  good and happy now.

Is there any reason to believe that O'shea's roster management will improve after this season?  Nine linebackers and one backup receiver!?  You think he would have learned by season 2.  What makes anyone thinks he will improve his decision-making in season 3?  It shouldn't take that long.

You mentioned 9 linebackers (listed) and 1 backup receiver. Explain why this was a roster management no no. Serious question.

It's a broken record really. D played well enough to keep it close. SP teams continued to show improvements. The O continued to suck. Really I'm not upset or surprised by it... it's happened pretty much every game so far. Same old ****. Good D. SP teams were good. O sucked and repeat. I'd be more surprised if the O actually did something. They haven't all year so why would they now. I'd give O'shea another year on the condition bellefool is fired. If not they both can go for all I care but really do think the OC Is the biggest problem and I think talking about other issues is irrelevant when the O sucks so bad

What is the solution?

Clearly MB needs to go,  but should O'Shea join him?

Yeah,all the staff should be gone including HC but won't happen. We'll be told how everything is on track. That it's all good & next year will be better. As Doug Brown pointed out last night on the post game show, both Walters & MOS will use the firing of MB to make it look like things are being done to save their necks.