Bombers trade for rights of Tajh Boyd

Jpan85

6'2" and 222lb is short and stocky???

LOL that's not short, except maybe when you stand amongst the monsters that play O and D line! Then it's actually short and skinny...
He's actually slightly over 6 feet tall by half an inch. Not sure where 6'2" came from but none of the scouting reports have him listed that tall.

Here's a recent scouting report:

Strengths

Sets quickly. Can sling it when he's in rhythm and has a clean pocket. Good zip short-to-intermediate. Can launch deep throws with ease and flashes touch to drop it in the bucket. Shows composure in the face of a blitz and is willing to take a hit to make a play. Makes plays with his feet, rolling the pocket, extending plays or throwing on the move (left or right). Slippery and elusive to escape the rush and is a threat to tuck and run. Functional straight-line speed and run strength for a quarterback; will lower his shoulder on defenders. Experienced, three-year starter. Terrific football character. Has a likable personality.

Weaknesses

Lacks ideal height, and weight has tended to fluctuate, pushing to nearly 240 the second half of 2011 season. Sails downfield throws and can improve his accuracy. Inconsistent decision-making. Did not take snaps under center in a pistol, read-option offense and production was inflated by an NFL-caliber supporting cast of skill talent. Will require patience adapting to pro-style passing. Needs to quicken his eyes and improve his field vision. Does not always see the deep safety or short-hole defender. Impatient making reads before fleeing the pocket. Durability could be a concern, given his style. Needs to learn to slide.

Bottom Line

A short, stocky, fairly nifty, strong-armed quarterback most ideally suited for a vertical-power system. Projects best as a career backup or No. 3 quarterback in the pros and compares very favorably to Ravens 2007 fifth-rounder Troy Smith.

Might not get a clean pocket but the part about not afraid to take a hit means he'll fit right in!  :lol:

Reminds me of Troy Smith in terms of raw skills. Hopefully he can learn how to pass in this league.

Agreed 100 per cent. If he comes here, he'll be a project. This isn't a bad move though by any means.

Personally...I think everybody gave up on Smith too early.

Smith was also around 30 when he finally came up here. He had bounced around for a while in the NFL. Boyd only turns 25 this month.

Their oc really liked the fake end-around.

Hey I'd use it. it works. Especially at college level where defence has to be superhyped on every game and not pro level personnnel. Mind you we aren't going to see the play where the linebacker knifed through and broke up the play.

Reminds me of Troy Smith in terms of raw skills. Hopefully he can learn how to pass in this league.

Agreed 100 per cent. If he comes here, he'll be a project. This isn't a bad move though by any means.

Smith was also around 30 when he finally came up here. He had bounced around for a while in the NFL. Boyd only turns 25 this month.

This is a good point. There aren't too many guys that step in from the college and produce right away. Easy to miss that these rookies aren't necessarily young kids. If you throw the kids into the fire mostly they get burnt. 

I know this is a douchy negation opinion but it's hard earned: I'm pretty much going to assume he sucks until proven otherwise.

Agreed.  Until he actually takes to the field and shows me something, I'm going to assume he's just as crappy as all the other "amazing" QB's we've brought in over the years that have shown nothing.

Straight up... brought in and expected to be a CFL starter in his first year.... basically nobody ever does that

Tajh Boyd was solid at Clemson, but JFALK24 nailed it when he says that he had great WR's to throw to.  I watched a few of their games last year, and Boyd impressed me.  Excellent mobility, bomb of an arm, seemingly good accuracy, albeit against college defenses.

As long as we don't expect him to change the world immediately, Tajh definitely has potential.  I'm excited.