Montreal Fires Higgins, Popp to be Interim HC

Rich

Can we replace Tracy with Higgins? Did he coached special teams before?

:D

EDIT: Found out he did but that was along time ago.

Prior to joining the Eskimos (1993), Tom worked for the Stampeders in various capacities including special teams coordinator, offensive coordinator and assistant head coach at various times during his time with the Stampeders.

No way Higgins ends up in Wpg in any role under O'Shea. Why would O'Shea hire his potential replacement?

Does Mike O'Shea strike you as the kind of person who wouldn't hire someone because he's afraid they might take his job?  His coordinators are both former head coaches.

Prior to joining the Eskimos (1993), Tom worked for the Stampeders in various capacities including special teams coordinator, offensive coordinator and assistant head coach at various times during his time with the Stampeders.

No way Higgins ends up in Wpg in any role under O'Shea. Why would O'Shea hire his potential replacement?

<sarcasm>For the betterment of the team? </sarcasm>

Does Mike O'Shea strike you as the kind of person who wouldn't hire someone because he's afraid they might take his job?  His coordinators are both former head coaches.

And neither Hall nor Bellefeuille have had success as head coaches, but Higgins' resume is much better- maybe good enough to be considered. If by some bizarre twist the Bombers get swept by the Riders, I cannot see O'Shea surviving.

And neither Hall nor Bellefeuille have had success as head coaches, but Higgins' resume is much better- maybe good enough to be considered. If by some bizarre twist the Bombers get swept by the Riders, I cannot see O'Shea surviving.

I can't see a scenario where O shea is fired before the end of the year. I think Miller and Walters know what the issue is with this team, and O'shea is not on the top of that list.

I can't see a scenario where O shea is fired before the end of the year. I think Miller and Walters know what the issue is with this team, and O'shea is not on the top of that list.

What is the issue?

What is the issue?

In a word, talent.

To be more complete:

QB: Our starter is 3-1 when he starts and completes a game. He has the 3rd best efficiency rating and 5th best completion percentage among QBs with more than 25 passes, so the offensive schemes seem to work adequately enough for him to succeed. Problem is that we've played 8 games, not 4. We're 0-4 when he gets hurt or doesn't play. Buck Pierce syndrome all over again. With Willy we are competitive, without him, we are woeful (so far). He is tough but may be turning into a glass QB with the repeated pounding, and we do not have a serviceable back-up like Calgary, Toronto, Edmonton possibly (don't like Nicholls but they have kept winning), or even maybe Montreal (Kato has tailed off, but has shown more than anything we've thrown out there). Not enough depth here, therefore a talent problem.

O-line: May be twice as good as last year, but as I always said when Zellers had a 2 for 1 sale on clothing, "2 of s#it is still s#it". No consistency, even from our so-called anchors (Bryant and Picard) and injuries here have exposed a lack of depth again.

RB: Serviceable, but does anyone look at what we have and think "game-breaker who can put the team on his back" like you would with a Harris, Cornish, Messam, et al?

WR/SB: On paper, looks OK, but no one looks at Denmark like he's a Bowman, McDaniel, Owens, Dressler, Grant, Green, Getzlaf, etc. who will get 14 passes and 100+ yards a game automatically and be "the guy", Moore is too injury prone to be considered a threat, and jury's out on Adams, but see Moore, Nick for injury comparable (in a limited sample). No big threat at Canadian receiver yet, just a couple of meal ticket guys (think Stoddard, not Cahoon).

D-line: The whole is not greater than the sum of its parts. Turner can get a safety or be manhandled. Westerman can pile up the sacks, but have teams actively game-planned around his threat like an Elimimian, Foley or Odell Willis?

LB: Or glorified DB's playing out of position, more accurately. Bass is good, no question, but the unit as a whole is nothing special. Hurl has been the whipping boy here all season, yet not enough depth to be able to replace him.

DB: I like Adams, and Leggatt is solid no question, but still some glaring errors out there on coverages, notably from some vets (Washington comes to mind whenever a receiver is open deep and no DB within 10 yards of him on a clear blown coverage).

Special teams: Your kicker is below 65% on converts, and yet not a whisper about his job security. Your best kick returner never gets to anymore because he has to play full-time DB due to a lack of depth at that spot to spell him off (Washington for those who didn't figure it out), your next best guy (based on performance this year, anyway) is not solid enough to be a starting receiver yet (Veltung), and your "starter" must have kidnapped the real Troy Stoudamire and is wearing his jersey this year. East/West may be a great tradition for the Grey Cup match-up, but it is a lousy philosophy for returning punts. Maybe someone should tell him - or bench him, if we had the depth to replace him, which I guess we don't.

What is the issue?
In a word, talent.

To be more complete:

QB: Our starter is 3-1 when he starts and completes a game. He has the 3rd best efficiency rating and 5th best completion percentage among QBs with more than 25 passes, so the offensive schemes seem to work adequately enough for him to succeed. Problem is that we've played 8 games, not 4. We're 0-4 when he gets hurt or doesn't play. Buck Pierce syndrome all over again. With Willy we are competitive, without him, we are woeful (so far). He is tough but may be turning into a glass QB with the repeated pounding, and we do not have a serviceable back-up like Calgary, Toronto, Edmonton possibly (don't like Nicholls but they have kept winning), or even maybe Montreal (Kato has tailed off, but has shown more than anything we've thrown out there). Not enough depth here, therefore a talent problem.

O-line: May be twice as good as last year, but as I always said when Zellers had a 2 for 1 sale on clothing, "2 of s#it is still s#it". No consistency, even from our so-called anchors (Bryant and Picard) and injuries here have exposed a lack of depth again.

RB: Serviceable, but does anyone look at what we have and think "game-breaker who can put the team on his back" like you would with a Harris, Cornish, Messam, et al?

WR/SB: On paper, looks OK, but no one looks at Denmark like he's a Bowman, McDaniel, Owens, Dressler, Grant, Green, Getzlaf, etc. who will get 14 passes and 100+ yards a game automatically and be "the guy", Moore is too injury prone to be considered a threat, and jury's out on Adams, but see Moore, Nick for injury comparable (in a limited sample). No big threat at Canadian receiver yet, just a couple of meal ticket guys (think Stoddard, not Cahoon).

D-line: The whole is not greater than the sum of its parts. Turner can get a safety or be manhandled. Westerman can pile up the sacks, but have teams actively game-planned around his threat like an Elimimian, Foley or Odell Willis?

LB: Or glorified DB's playing out of position, more accurately. Bass is good, no question, but the unit as a whole is nothing special. Hurl has been the whipping boy here all season, yet not enough depth to be able to replace him.

DB: I like Adams, and Leggatt is solid no question, but still some glaring errors out there on coverages, notably from some vets (Washington comes to mind whenever a receiver is open deep and no DB within 10 yards of him on a clear blown coverage).

Special teams: Your kicker is below 65% on converts, and yet not a whisper about his job security. Your best kick returner never gets to anymore because he has to play full-time DB due to a lack of depth at that spot to spell him off (Washington for those who didn't figure it out), your next best guy (based on performance this year, anyway) is not solid enough to be a starting receiver yet (Veltung), and your "starter" must have kidnapped the real Troy Stoudamire and is wearing his jersey this year. East/West may be a great tradition for the Grey Cup match-up, but it is a lousy philosophy for returning punts. Maybe someone should tell him - or bench him, if we had the depth to replace him, which I guess we don't.

Based on your post the blame lies with Walters.Last time I looked though no GM has fired himself first.☺

Wow. Higgins got screwed again. Not sure if he is the answer here, particularly in mid-season, but unless O`Shea shows real progress, Higgins ought to be a consideration in the off-season.

Maybe they should bring him here. Hearing footsteps behind you is supposed to be a cure for some strains of Stubbornness.

:)

The issue with the team is: Marcel Bellfeuille.

Except the 4 games our QB started and finished where our offence was not a problem at all, other than some redzone issues vs Montreal.

I disagree. While our team certainly has some talent issues. Our offence has seen plenty of problems even in games we've won. Especially in the 2nd half. Our O doesn't seem to be able to finish teams or take advantage of mistakes that they make. It happened in SSK, against MTL, BC and in CGY. 

I'd like to see what another OC could do with the talent we currently have on Offence. We have multiple 100 yard game, receivers on the team. An Oline with some talent (yes some holes too) a running back that has shown he can be productive when given the chance and a QB who can make all the throws accurately. I'm not saying someone else would come in and we would be putting up 45 points a game or something, but it would be interesting to see. And I hope we get to see it next year regardless of what happens this year. 

So maybe there should be an A pool and a B pool and a relegation system? The NFL notion has been on any given Sunday any team can beat any other team. Not sure that is holding up right now in the CFL.

I'm assuming you didn't watch last night...or any game during the NFL season last year.