Montreal Fires Higgins, Popp to be Interim HC

Rich

Buy hey.. You want the "all mediocre" team? Let's get Higgins at HC.. Keep MB... get Greg Marshall for DC and Jim Daley for. ST..then bring in Kevin Glenn to QB..

Nah I'd rather be 7-11 3-5 not making the playoffs worst grey cup crowd in 30 years it's all good round here.

Also.. Since '06 he's been on decline... Not like he has trended upward... At all.. In over 10 years.. But keep telling yourself he's our saviour lol..

I do like kelownas idea of being a quality control or advisor..

Higgins only wins when he is handed a team to manage.. If he has to actually faces adversity he isn't very good IMO. Never been a fan of his..

Whew glad you cleared that up not a fan = terrible coach makes sense.

See below post smart ass

No offense Spuds, but you make me laugh sometimes at how you pump up guys like MB at times, yet knock down a coach who has a winning record like Higgins.

Again, I'm not advocating him to be our HC.  Although I wouldn't say no to having him here in some capacity.

Anyway, I'm out for the night.  I need my beauty sleep.

No offense Spuds, but you make me laugh sometimes at how you pump up guys like MB at times, yet knock down a coach who has a winning record like Higgins.

Again, I'm not advocating him to be our HC.  Although I wouldn't say no to having him here in some capacity.

Anyway, I'm out for the night.  I need my beauty sleep.

It's all about the situations.. Higgins in the right spot is good.. A la prebuilt team loaded with talent and ready for a playoff run..

I also have changed my opinion on Marcel in the last 3 weeks.. So.. There's thaaaaaaaat..

Firing MOS for Higgins is literally the dumbest thing we, as an organization, could do. Firing MOS for just about anyone would be pretty dumb...

Nope move MOS back to special teams coach with Higgins experience we are a better team.Take the blinders off.

Wow!  Seriously?  You honestly think that you could call in your HC, tell him he's being demoted and he'd happily clean out his office for the new guy.  What ever it is you're smoking, cut back, seriously... 

Firing MOS for Higgins is literally the dumbest thing we, as an organization, could do. Firing MOS for just about anyone would be pretty dumb...

Nope move MOS back to special teams coach with Higgins experience we are a better team.Take the blinders off.

Wow! Seriously? You honestly think that you could call in your HC, tell him he's being demoted and he'd happily clean out his office for the new guy. What ever it is you're smoking, cut back, seriously...
What's the difference between that and sitting a player?MOS always says it's about the team not individuals so who knows? Would he sacrifice for the team?

I hate this side of sports. I doubt popp fired higgins to save his own job. I doubt even media/fan demands to win now prompted it. Smells to me of popp thinking he can actually turn it around. Since trestman left they have been a circus in the coaching ranks. 

The als arent even a terrible team. They have several good young pieces to build around. They arent 100% out of it like the riders are, and could be a very good team with building this year and a good off season.

I hate the premature firing of coaches. Higgins is a good cfl mind. He isnt don mathews or wally buono. Hes not my favorite coach by any means, but he is a guy you can build a winning team with. If you trust in him enough to hire him, and go about the hiring process properly you shouldnt need to fire a guy mid season. (unless he goes nuke mode) Give the guy a chance give the young players a chance and build on it. 

The als where a dominant force in the cfl. And I think the best thing to happen to the cfl in the 2000s. Soo much of our NI talent in this league is out of QB. Teams like laval raised their level to a point it forced other teams in the cis to match.

Rebuilds dont have to happen over night, and you dont have to tear down good pieces just to start over. Im sure higgins will land on his feat. Would have him back working for the league to sort out some of the rule changes any day of the week. Wonder if this is where plop will go.

Wow! Seriously? You honestly think that you could call in your HC, tell him he's being demoted and he'd happily clean out his office for the new guy. What ever it is you're smoking, cut back, seriously...
What's the difference between that and sitting a player?MOS always says it's about the team not individuals so who knows? Would he sacrifice for the team?

No... That just isn't done. He'd have to be fired, Hence it won't happen. 

Considering Crompton is the best QB they have over there and he's not playing, I thought Higgins did as well as anyone would have. Popp will do no better, possibly worse.

My take away is that 4 teams are in, 3 teams in the hunt and now 2 teams are out.

I only see one out...the Riders. Who is the second?

Considering Crompton is the best QB they have over there and he's not playing, I thought Higgins did as well as anyone would have. Popp will do no better, possibly worse.

My take away is that 4 teams are in, 3 teams in the hunt and now 2 teams are out.

I only see one out...the Riders. Who is the second?

I'm writing off Montreal based on Popp as HC.

Back to the command centre for Higgins...IF the Bombers ever entertained the idea of hiring this guy, I'm glad they passed...Their alternative in Mont. was to put Popp behind the bench...lol...his record as coach speaks for itself and it ain't pretty...Als fans have seen this before and the result...I see a lot of their faithful squirming in their seats right about now...Basement bound..

Three straight years of chaos in Montreal.

2103: Dan Hawkins and AC publicly spar, Hawkins fired after five games, Popp takes over.

2014: Worman / Dinwiddie / Garcia / who's the OC?

2015: Michael Sam / John Bowman / Higgins / Popp

Very glad to see they're still pulling 20K+ fans because man they are starting to look like a clown show.

Maybe that's what the fans want and Poop, I mean Popp, is just delivering. It is Montreal.

Obviously the decision to release Higgins was decided prior to the BC game.

Poppy's issue is his ego, which can at times make him look like a genius or a complete fool. In this particular case, I hear most siding for the latter.

Montreal's not out of the hunt for the last playoff spot. They're tied with us at 3-5. Riders aren't even out of the hunt if they manage to beat us a couple of times,

One September day when the Ti-cats had yet to win a game that season, then Head Coach Ronnie Lancaster surprised all when he said in an interview "Mathematically we haven't been eliminated yet".  It's the CFL!!!  Mathematically you stay alive along time.  Realistically it would take a miracle for Sask. Popp is career .444 as HC and he had some better teams than he has now too.

I'm surprised Higgins was let go. I still think he'd make a good GM (and that's what I wanted him for) and was surprised he did come back as a coach. Taking over a team when a 'legend' at QB retires, and a 'legend' at coach goes to the NFL (wondering here.... is Popp keeping Trestmans' seat warm for a return????) really is/was a no win situation for whomever was going to be the next head man there. I agree with Goalie that the Bombers probably said no to Higgins as I can't see Higgins (or anyone for that matter) preferring the Mtrl situation to Wpg's. 

And why do some here insist on canning MOS? Hey, I get pissed at some of his decisions too - but IMO this team of ours, as I mentioned, it two years removed from, by far, the worst run 'pro' franchise is all of North America and quite possibly the world. I'm not over exaggerating. We have a rookie GM, rookie CEO, and rookie HC taking over (from last year) so I'm puzzled as to what the 'fire MOS' folks were expecting exactly.

I was/am expecting slow steady improvement and IMO we are much farther ahead then we were last year. Yes, we were blown out twice this year by Hamilton. But newsflash - and again I already said this - Hamilton is the #1 team in the league right now (it's not close) and have the best QB in the league right now (and again, it's not even close and Collaros as a lot of you know is the guy I wanted here and pined for and I was pissed when that 'release' and 'sign' thing happened before free agency) so there's no shame in that. Look what they did here to the Eskimos last night as proof as to how good they are.

Willy - very impressed this year with him. Last year after game 6 he was beat up and terrible. Why they left him in game after game is now answered for me. This year he's a different QB. He has learned. Even in the Hamilton beat down (prior to his leg being broke) he was still playing well and competing and wasn't nearly as terrible as he was last year during a game like that. 

I see a bright future ahead of us - and some of you want to blow it up and start yet again? Give your heads a shake. You may turn out to be right in the long run but for now unless Trestman or Mike Riley are willing to come coach here I'm in MOS's corner

I can see nothing good coming out of this for Montreal. Popp`s record as a head coach is not impressive and considering the quarterbacks he had to work with, Higgins did a pretty damned good job. If the players believe that they know better than the coach, then there is a problem in the locker room and it isn`t the coaching- its a nucleus of players who feel entitled to call the shots and that is guaranteed to implode. There are some parallels with the BC Lions but Wally is still smart enough to let the coaches coach until they prove they cannot. Does anyone remember the disaster in Regina when Miller was cruising the sidelines sympathizing with the poor, misunderstood and mistreated players

I'm surprised Higgins was let go. I still think he'd make a good GM (and that's what I wanted him for) and was surprised he did come back as a coach. Taking over a team when a 'legend' at QB retires, and a 'legend' at coach goes to the NFL (wondering here.... is Popp keeping Trestmans' seat warm for a return????) really is/was a no win situation for whomever was going to be the next head man there. I agree with Goalie that the Bombers probably said no to Higgins as I can't see Higgins (or anyone for that matter) preferring the Mtrl situation to Wpg's.

And why do some here insist on canning MOS? Hey, I get pissed at some of his decisions too - but IMO this team of ours, as I mentioned, it two years removed from, by far, the worst run 'pro' franchise is all of North America and quite possibly the world. I'm not over exaggerating. We have a rookie GM, rookie CEO, and rookie HC taking over (from last year) so I'm puzzled as to what the 'fire MOS' folks were expecting exactly.

I was/am expecting slow steady improvement and IMO we are much farther ahead then we were last year. Yes, we were blown out twice this year by Hamilton. But newsflash - and again I already said this - Hamilton is the #1 team in the league right now (it's not close) and have the best QB in the league right now (and again, it's not even close and Collaros as a lot of you know is the guy I wanted here and pined for and I was pissed when that 'release' and 'sign' thing happened before free agency) so there's no shame in that. Look what they did here to the Eskimos last night as proof as to how good they are.

Willy - very impressed this year with him. Last year after game 6 he was beat up and terrible. Why they left him in game after game is now answered for me. This year he's a different QB. He has learned. Even in the Hamilton beat down (prior to his leg being broke) he was still playing well and competing and wasn't nearly as terrible as he was last year during a game like that.

I see a bright future ahead of us - and some of you want to blow it up and start yet again? Give your heads a shake. You may turn out to be right in the long run but for now unless Trestman or Mike Riley are willing to come coach here I'm in MOS's corner

Well I will answer you based on my imo. What concerns my most about MOS besides his poor game decisions and actions is his ethier lack of being able to discern talent or mere utter stubbornness when it comes to players and coaches. My 2 coaches are Etch last year and Bel this year and last.Both coaches are clearly have costed this team dearly.Leaving Willy in against Ham when it was turnstile time on the QB and Willy wasn't 100 percent to begin with also makes me ? MOS commonsense. Last he still refuses to name Marve our no 1 when Marve has shown more in one game than Brohm in 2 years. LAST we still have Brohm like Wtf for? I'm afraid MOS ain't the answer here but we are gonna wait as usual here till its too late.