Suggestions for us old timers... and thoughts on long term

I think the Grey Cup drought just pisses us off and causes a little loss of perspective. That said the past 20 years have seen a lot of bad football.

However 2-2 is better than I thought we might be to start.

Hard not to agree... if that 2001 team had gotten the job done (they really should have)... we would all be a lot more patient today

Losing to BC a few years ago in the Grey Cup wasn't unexpected. But that 2001 fail job is hard to swallow still. Even worse was the Riders Cup loss. We were a much better team and if not for that god damn broken arm we would have won. Of that I have no doubt. Hell, even with that complete loser Dinwiddie in the pocket we nearly won. Says a lot about that team that year and how mediocre the Riders were.

I think the Grey Cup drought just pisses us off and causes a little loss of perspective. That said the past 20 years have seen a lot of bad football.

Hard not to agree... if that 2001 team had gotten the job done (they really should have)... we would all be a lot more patient today

Losing to BC a few years ago in the Grey Cup wasn't unexpected. But that 2001 fail job is hard to swallow still. Even worse was the Riders Cup loss. We were a much better team and if not for that god damn broken arm we would have won. Of that I have no doubt. Hell, even with that complete loser Dinwiddie in the pocket we nearly won. Says a lot about that team that year and how mediocre the Riders were.

Having a 12-6 record and scoring the 2nd most amount of points in the league isn't mediocre. But yes, tough loss to swallow with how close it was.

Once you've tasted success, nothing else measures up.

The world and especially sports cannot be viewed so such a black and white version of the world. There is a plethora of grey area to consider IMO.

I guess my larger, over arching point is that this is still a sports league, where championships matter. No championships in 24 years, compounded with a really poor regular season record has left me with almost no fuse left for this team. And it sucks because I recognize that this club has improved and we're 2-2.

So what's your point?

The world and especially sports cannot be viewed so such a black and white version of the world. There is a plethora of grey area to consider IMO.

I guess my larger, over arching point is that this is still a sports league, where championships matter. No championships in 24 years, compounded with a really poor regular season record has left me with almost no fuse left for this team. And it sucks because I recognize that this club has improved and we're 2-2.

So what's your point?

'Points' aren't really Resurrection's strong suit.

For me the hardest thing to accept was that the Bombers went into the Grey Cup with a backup that had never played a single down of CFL ball.  I still hate the "all eggs in one basket" approach to managing QB's to this day because of that experience.

So what's your point?

Jesus, really? My point is that in sports it can easily be black and white when looking at championships. Especially in an 8 team league (for the vast majority of it). You can't possibly be that obtuse can you?

So what's your point?

Jesus, really? My point is that in sports it can easily be black and white when looking at championships. Especially in an 8 team league (for the vast majority of it). You can't possibly be that obtuse can you?

Guys, Resurrection is just asking a question. He's not putting anyone down, just wondering how people feel about it.

I've only been interested in football since '92 so I've never seen them win a championship yet. Personally it's hard. Especially since we've been in a few Grey Cups and lost when we should have won. You just have to hope for the best and enjoy the game. I mean, look at all the NFL teams that have never even won the super bowl. Or hardly ever make it to the playoffs. Yet they still get huge crowds going to their games. You just have to really enjoy the game and hope that they make it all the way to the cup every once in a while. :)

The thing is there is only 1 winner every year. If being the winner is the only thing that counts then most of the time you are going to stew on stomach acid. In anything there is only one person, team or business who is the best. In all the major team sports there are a few teams who are consistently better than the rest for years. (I am not sure baseball is a team sport - just a collection of specialized individual skills)

Unless you are cheering for those teams you are relegated to looking for improvement except for a fluky championship. If that is not good enough for you, you should probably do something else for a hobbie. 

I remember watching Lakers dismantle New Jersey in NBA finals years ago and my 5 year old daughter said. "Daddy if you aren't cheering for the yellow team you are going to be sad."

I for one have followed the bombers since Mack Heroin and Dieter "you should have seen the other guy" Brock times. Ups and downs have come and gone. I think we are in an upward trend unlike the previous years. If you are frustrated now, then you should cheer for Calgary because you are going to have a better time for years to come. 

I've never seen a Grey Cup win, I was 1 year old the last time they won it, so I'm dying for a championship as much as anyone. Maybe I don't know what it's like, but I know what it's like to watch them lose in the finals and it's been painful.

That being said, all I can ask for is for them to show progress. They're heading in the right direction and sure, you can isolate a variety of identifiable issues with the team, but no team is perfect. So far through 4 games, we're setting ourselves up well as a team that needs to be taken seriously and a team that, when at full capacity, can win on any given night. Players are getting better - Darvin Adams is slowing starting to fit it, you can see it's starting to click for the new defenders like Westerman and Bass, Willy is completing almost 80% of his passes and our OL is doing a much better job than they were last year. It looks like we're on the rise and that's really all I can ask for. I don't expect to go 20-0. I just expect us to compete and hopefully have the bounces go our way.

While some of us are wondering if we have enough time left to see another one.  :)

It's hard to make suggestions without appearing to be beating up on O'Shea but I wish he would do an impartial review of the MLB situation. Kind of miss the days of Henok getting 10 tackles a game.   

The McMahon demon seems to be alive and well after last night.

Oh please, after sitting through the shittiest of shitty games in that stadium losing by one point in a game that came down to the very end that's a step up, especially since they won there last year. 

I've seen the Bombers win Grey Cups, both live and on TV.  I remember when going to the stadium meant expecting to win.  No team is perfect. I've seen some very good Bomber teams lose and some very bad ones win.

I don't see the Grey Cup drought as something that 'forces' us to do anything or an excuse for any of the problems we've had in the last bunch of years. It's simply a fact of life  when you're a Bomber fan.  Each year, the team is different.  We'll have good and bad luck.  We'll be angry and elated. That's what sport is all about.

I want to see progress.  I want the team to play hard from the first play to the last.  I want the GM/Scouts to bring in good players all year long, not just in the offseason.  I want the HC to have the answers, not be afraid to take risks, and play to win instead of 'not to lose'.  I want us to have enough difference makers on the team to get double digit wins, not just this season, but every season.  I want us to make good decisions and less mistakes. I want a team where the fans expect to win most games and are gutted when we lose.  A lot to ask for?  Sure, but that's what it takes to be a championship team.

Oh please, after sitting through the shittiest of shitty games in that stadium losing by one point in a game that came down to the very end that's a step up, especially since they won there last year. 

We found a new way to lose in McMahon again.  Playing better and losing by a point is still a loss.

We found a new way to lose in McMahon again.  Playing better and losing by a point is still a loss.

Spoken like someone who hasn't sat through those games in Calgary for nearly a decade. Trust me that was the best game I've seen the team play in Alberta since I've lived here. Yeah it's a sad statement but progress isn't always leaps and bounds. 

Spoken like someone who hasn't sat through those games in Calgary for nearly a decade. Trust me that was the best game I've seen the team play in Alberta since I've lived here. Yeah it's a sad statement but progress isn't always leaps and bounds. 

Actually, I've seen lots of games in McMahon.  I used to have season tickets and Red and White club spots. There were games where Calgary scored so many TD's that I thought we were trying to kill the horse.  Sure, we played better, but we still lost so the demons still very much alive.

Actually, I've seen lots of games in McMahon.  I used to have season tickets and Red and White club spots. There were games where Calgary scored so many TD's that I thought we were trying to kill the horse.  Sure, we played better, but we still lost so the demons still very much alive.

Ah those were the days.  Kerwin Bell, even Dunigan...we always seemed to find a way to lose, or get totally killed, in Calgary.  I did enjoy the early 80's though when Calgary really sucked.  We'd go in there and just smoke Calgary every time.  Dieter would go hog wild.

First, 34 is a young'in. You.re not old enough to whine about a losing streak yet.

Second. Mike. How the hell can you be that young. ****, you're barely out of diapers.

And I've said it before. It's all my fault. We haven't seen a Grey Cup win since the year before I was married so until I get divorced, live with it.