Yantz doesn'st feel he was given a fair shot

The # of reps he was getting was only one part of camp.  Who knows how well (or poorly) he was doing in the drills or if he was having a tougher time than the others with the playbook.  All 4 of the other QB's were familiar with the offense from last year, maybe Yantz just couldn't catch up. 

The bottom line is that he came in as the 5th QB and left as the 5th QB.  He didn't do enough, from the coaches point of view, to earn more reps so he got what he got.  Those few extra reps went to Portis & Marve in the battle for the 3rd string spot... much more valuable (IMO) than giving them to a guy on the outside looking in.

You think he got unfair treatment because he's Canadian.  Half the American QBs who have attended previous Bomber camps as the 5th QB would agree.  He got to stay for the entire camp.  They got cut after the first week.  Pretty unfair he got to stay longer.

The # of reps he was getting was only one part of camp.  Who knows how well (or poorly) he was doing in the drills or if he was having a tougher time than the others with the playbook.  All 4 of the other QB's were familiar with the offense from last year, maybe Yantz just couldn't catch up. 

The bottom line is that he came in as the 5th QB and left as the 5th QB.  He didn't do enough, from the coaches point of view, to earn more reps so he got what he got.  Those few extra reps went to Portis & Marve in the battle for the 3rd string spot... much more valuable (IMO) than giving them to a guy on the outside looking in.

maybe a situation of agree to disagree,  Marve should have been competing with Brohm for #2, and portis vs Yantz, who ever didnt win the #2 then compete against the winner of Portis vs Yantz for #3. loser of that get PR.

With willy the undisputed #1,  Preseason game 1 goes 1st quarter: Brohm (or marve)  2nd quarter: Marve (or Brohm) 3rd quarter: Portis (or Yantz) 4th quarter: Yantz (or Portis).

preseason game 2 1st half: Willy  3rd quarter: #2  4th: quarter #3

at least your giving ALL the QBs you invited to camp a shot,  only guys who dont get 2 quarters of play is your #4 and #5 but they at least get a quarter to show what they got

Yup another story down in the backup QB saga in the Peg.

In Joey Elliot's case, I can understand his frustration there.  He was straight up shipped out with no competition period in either mini camp, training camp or preseason and as he had already been a member of this roster, that situation was totally mishandled.

The Max Hall case last year was handled correctly.  Fans thought he got the short end of the stick cuz he was Crowton's guy, but that wasn't true.  He went up against stiff competition and failed to deliver the dynamics that Willy, Brohm, and Marve brought to the house.  Guy had heart but his talent was inferior.

In Yantz's case, I can understand the novelty and sensational story that a Canadian QB who cracked the roster would be, but at the end of the day, this is the business of winning and knocking out our 2 backup QBs on what will probably be a 3 QB roster would've taken quite a big impressive showing.  Tough to do against positions pretty tightly solidified.

I dont believe Yantz had a shot at knocking Brohm or Marve out as #2 or #3, but had he been given a chance on a strictly talent level (again heard a lot of good things about him despite his passport) he might have been able to beat portis out as #4 and get the PR spot, but by all accounts both from him and people who attended TC, Yantz wasnt even given a chance to do that so why even bother signing him with the invite

maybe a situation of agree to disagree,  Marve should have been competing with Brohm for #2, and portis vs Yantz, who ever didnt win the #2 then compete against the winner of Portis vs Yantz for #3. loser of that get PR.

With willy the undisputed #1,  Preseason game 1 goes 1st quarter: Brohm (or marve)  2nd quarter: Marve (or Brohm) 3rd quarter: Portis (or Yantz) 4th quarter: Yantz (or Portis).

preseason game 2 1st half: Willy  3rd quarter: #2  4th: quarter #3

at least your giving ALL the QBs you invited to camp a shot,  only guys who dont get 2 quarters of play is your #4 and #5 but they at least get a quarter to show what they got

I'd rather they focus on getting the team ready for the season than making sure a guy who probably has the ceiling of a #3 QB in the CFL a fair shot.

how do we know what his ceiling is without giving him at least a fair shake vs next to nothing at this level.  Seems Portis was getting reps ahead of marve last few practices before game 2, did the team suddenly become unready since the now PR qb took reps in place of our #3?  

They have 3 years of tape on him. Simply not good enough, also heard he did not leave in the most pro way after being cut

how do we know what his ceiling is without giving him at least a fair shake vs next to nothing at this level.  Seems Portis was getting reps ahead of marve last few practices before game 2, did the team suddenly become unready since the now PR qb took reps in place of our #3?

They have 3 years of tape on him. Simply not good enough, also heard he did not leave in the most pro way after being cut

Took the Josh Bishop option did he?

i dont think i would be the most gracious of people either if i was dicked around in a job interview

but 3 years of tape,  brought him in last years TC, then to mini camp this year where hes told he outplayed the american qbs brought in then brought to this years TC, but is given no opportunity to compete and then written off? again why bring him in at all? OR if hes just there for injury insurance why not make that perfectly clear?

If you had an interview for your dream job where you weren't allowed to speak how would you react at not getting the job? 

And if a reporter outside asked you how it went would you still tow the company line?

i dont think i would be the most gracious of people either if i was dicked around in a job interview

but 3 years of tape,  brought him in last years TC, then to mini camp this year where hes told he outplayed the american qbs brought in then brought to this years TC, but is given no opportunity to compete and then written off? again why bring him in at all? OR if hes just there for injury insurance why not make that perfectly clear?

if he is so good another team will pick him up. No way a kid fresh out of the CIS is better than 4 qbs with ncaa/nfl/cfl reps

Thankfully Willy was never dicked around

I would have liked to see him stick around on the practice roster.  Give him some reps at receiver, give him some reps at QB if one of the other 4 get injured and maybe we could see what we have.  He's an athletic Canadian with an obvious mind for football.  I find it weird that of our 3 Canadians on the practice roster, 2 are fullbacks.  I guess it's all about special teams ability but I would like to see a Canadian skill position player developed there, Yantz or otherwise.

All those Canadian coaches and staff on the bombers and still no chance for a Canadian Q.B.

As the article says, the league needs a rule change.

There was no Canadian content on our airwaves till we had the Canadian content rules, then we got huge international stars in the

music business.

same thing should be done here. I just don't accept that no Canadian is smart or athletic enough to play Q.B. in the CFL.

so… give them a chance to catch up on the experience side.

I would really enjoy watching a Canadian playing and succeeding at q.b. 

Of course it was predetermined. The Bombers had no intentions of keeping him - that doesn't mean they did something wrong though. They're allowed to handle their camp roster however they see fit, and Yantz could have signed with another team if he was so concerned (it is not hard to look at a depth chart).

I liked what I saw of Yantz at camp, but he has a far way to go before he would be a viable option at QB for any team. 

I realize the prevailing thought will be that the Bombers did him wrong by not making it truly an open competition, but there are only so many reps to go around.

A different viewpoint would be that the Bombers gave a former Bison a chance to work on his skills at a professional camp with CFL coaching.