Yantz doesn'st feel he was given a fair shot

I have no issue with him being cut if he wasn't going to beat out the 4 we kept, but if they kinda already knew that and clearly not giving him the chance to beat out anyone illustrates that then why not get your scouts to find someone with a chance to possibly be better than at the very least Portis. People say they are in favor of putting the best possible team out there, yet seems they were pretty dead set with their QBs,  in which case bring in 4 and bring in another player for an area of need. Its not like the very few reps Yantz did get would have blown a tire on any of the 4 QBs taking these limited and valuable reps

Soooo.. Now your changing your argument from "why not give Yantz a better chance!" To "our scouts suck because we gave Yantz a chance!"

Debate over.

The simple answer is that we had 5 QBs that we wanted. Why would we get rid of the spare QB/extra arm in camp to bring in some other unknown? I'm assuming Portis is essentially Marves backup IF our offense flounders hard and IF it's deemed the pocket passer concept is not going to work.. He also knows his role and is familiar with CFL.

Well. I'm sure cfl gms will probably now think twice about giving Yantz another shot. Dude did more harm than good for his career not that he would have had one. Reality. Plenty of better Canadian QB s have been to cfl training camps and all of them get let go. The realities of being a cis trained QB.

I liked yantz. Good QB for the bisons but others have been better and not even invited to camp at all. Sour grapes with some truth but mostly sour grapes

That truth being he wasn't given many reps however like others have said maybe film study And that stuff played a role too. Maybe yantz was given less reps cuz he didn't put the time in the video room or other areas Gbill and others don't have access 2

I have no issue with him being cut if he wasn't going to beat out the 4 we kept, but if they kinda already knew that and clearly not giving him the chance to beat out anyone illustrates that then why not get your scouts to find someone with a chance to possibly be better than at the very least Portis. People say they are in favor of putting the best possible team out there, yet seems they were pretty dead set with their QBs,  in which case bring in 4 and bring in another player for an area of need. Its not like the very few reps Yantz did get would have blown a tire on any of the 4 QBs taking these limited and valuable reps

Soooo.. Now your changing your argument from "why not give Yantz a better chance!" To "our scouts suck because we gave Yantz a chance!"

Debate over.

The simple answer is that we had 5 QBs that we wanted. Why would we get rid of the spare QB/extra arm in camp to bring in some other unknown? I'm assuming Portis is essentially Marves backup IF our offense flounders hard and IF it's deemed the pocket passer concept is not going to work.. He also knows his role and is familiar with CFL.

im not changing my argument, i think telling the guy he'll be given an opportunity to compete then giving him next to no reps at practice or in the preseason games is wrong, and what he said in the paper shows he thinks so too. I like Walters and MOS to be sure, but in this case I think they mislead him, and since they should be familiar with him especially being at camp last year, they should have said hes just there as an arm/injury insurance policy. Do you still want to sign, or see if you can get on somewhere else? Sounds like he got the impression, they like his ability, hes gonna get an opportunity to compete,  heres a contract (even if not guaranteed) I'd likely have felt mislead too and that's not good business imo. 

My alternative with the scouts was in saying if they know Yantz isnt gonna beat out someone/anyone, but they need an arm or whatever,  why not get someone that might just surprise them.  Heaven forbid they bring a new look QB they haven't yet tested and he blows everyone away,  wouldn't that be a good thing? bringing back the same guy you already know he's not going anywhere to me sounds like a waste of everyone's time, and in this case hopes and aspirations. 

draft picks are different tho, he was undrafted and even attended last years TC.  I could see him being a non counter last year having still cis eligibility while attending the UofM but I wanna think this year hed be no different then just bringing in a NI player from regina (if thats where he lives when not in school?)

I could be wrong, as i too dont know what qualifies someone to be a non counter other then maybe territorial exemption and draft picks

There's a chance this has already been answered but I'm going to jump in on this one point.

Yantz attended the 2014 training camp as part of the Canadian QB program where each CFL team brings in a CIS or CJFL QB. Basically a mentorship program. 

Non-counters are as follows: current year draft picks; players from previous drafts that have not attended CFL training camp (the old futures draft picks or guys that have gone to NFL camps); any Canadian QB; plus two players from the current year's draft class that were undrafted.

Players must sign contracts to attend training camp for various insurance and CFLPA reasons. 

CJFL players that are territorial rights but have not graduated from the CJFL are also non-counters. This is a rule that needs to be addressed for two reasons, first the Ontario conference has changed their age limit and secondly BC gets an entire conference while most teams get only 1 or 2 teams. Once players graduate from the CJFL they are free agents unless they decide to go to the CIS or had played in the CIS prior to playing junior. It's messy and needs help.

The three year contract is looking pretty strange. What was the point of that?

The standard CFL contract is 2 years plus a team option. It's often reported by the media as a 3 year deal. 

Really when you consider that if the QB position was part of the existing ratio the Bombers would still likely enter the CFL season with 3 International QBs.

Was Yantz in for rookie camp? He may have sealed his fate at that point. 

If it really came down to a simple Yantz vs Portis decision (which it almost never does come down to a "simple decision") then it's a lot more than a 2 hour field session. Who was doing better in the classroom? I'm not sure how the Bombers run their organization but many teams have quizzes during their film sessions. Who was doing better in the weight room? Lots of aspects that go beyond throwing a football.

Can't remember where I read it but I thought I saw a while back that if the Bombers hadn't signed Yantz after the draft another CFL team was hoping to sign him. Does anyone recall this?

The Riders and I believe the Als also had interest in Yantz. Taman said he tried to add Yantz to the Riders neg list right after the draft, but Walters beat him to it.

Debate over.

im not changing my argument, i think telling the guy he'll be given an opportunity to compete then giving him next to no reps at practice or in the preseason games is wrong, and what he said in the paper shows he thinks so too. I like Walters and MOS to be sure, but in this case I think they mislead him, and since they should be familiar with him especially being at camp last year, they should have said hes just there as an arm/injury insurance policy. Do you still want to sign, or see if you can get on somewhere else? Sounds like he got the impression, they like his ability, hes gonna get an opportunity to compete,  heres a contract (even if not guaranteed) I'd likely have felt mislead too and that's not good business imo. 

My alternative with the scouts was in saying if they know Yantz isnt gonna beat out someone/anyone, but they need an arm or whatever,  why not get someone that might just surprise them.  Heaven forbid they bring a new look QB they haven't yet tested and he blows everyone away,  wouldn't that be a good thing? bringing back the same guy you already know he's not going anywhere to me sounds like a waste of everyone's time, and in this case hopes and aspirations. 

Going by his twitter feed, it doesn't sound like he was promised anything.  He tweeted that he might get some snaps in the 4th quarter of the 2nd pre-season game and he was thankful for that small opportunity.

Jordan Yantz @Yantz16 Jun 18

Excited to get the opportunity and put on a jersey for the @Wpg_BlueBombers tomorrow night, possibly get some snaps in the 4th!! #blessed

Did the international kicker get an interview with the papers when he was cut? I'm confident that the club already had their minds made up on our kicking situation, the poor guy never had a chance.

The ONLY reason this is a story is because Yantz is Canadian, and it could have been a feel good story if he made the team.

Sorry, I don't care if our QB is Canadian, American, Mexican or Greek, I just want the best. As the 5th string QB coming into camp, he needed to steal reps away from the others and force the coaches to keep him, which he couldn't do. Best of luck to ya!

It's a story because it sounds like Walters made promises that weren't kept.

No not necessarily true. Walters made promises, that much I believe. Whether they were kept or not is in the eye of the beholder. The TC days I attended, it looked to me that Yantz was getting reps in the offence. I don't doubt that Yantz felt he never got a chance. That does not mean he didn't get one though. One of the hardest things for any football player to come to grips with is finding out that they are not good enough. Imo, just because Yantz says he didn't get a fair chance doesn't make it so. Sounds more like a player lashing out after he finds out that his football dream is over.

Can any one recall a rookie american QB coming in on any deal (little on a 3 year deal) being healthy, getting virtually no team reps in TC and not a single play in pre season? I sure cant. But ive seen us and other teams do this on the regular with canadian qbs.  Come in, throw what drills we need, hold a clip board and well let you know if we need you to go get us some coffee.

What needs to change is the ratio rules. This is the canadian game. We have the ratio rules in place to protect and preserve canadian talent in the game. Its time to adjust this age old loop hole. They went nuts with stupid changes in the off season, no reason not to do this now. maybe a canadian starter at qb counts as a canadian starter, or even a back up canadian qb gives you an extra DI spot.

Let's call a spade a spade. Yantz wouldn't have even been in camp if he wasn't a non-counter. He got a chance to attend a CFL TC and had to have known he was an extreme longshot. He would have had to have been exceptional. He was a camp arm until he proved otherwise. He didn't prove otherwise. Shame on the Bombers for concentrating on the QBs that actually had a legit shot at making the team.

Or maybe just maybe they didn't think yantz was good enough. Cis qbs aren't as good as NCAA ones that's for sure

I know a lot of people and fans feel that Yantz is a lot better than he actually is. He is a CIS QB. He is simply not good enough for the CFL. Sad, but true.

Can any one recall a rookie american QB coming in on any deal (little on a 3 year deal) being healthy, getting virtually no team reps in TC and not a single play in pre season? I sure cant. But ive seen us and other teams do this on the regular with canadian qbs.  Come in, throw what drills we need, hold a clip board and well let you know if we need you to go get us some coffee.

What needs to change is the ratio rules. This is the canadian game. We have the ratio rules in place to protect and preserve canadian talent in the game. Its time to adjust this age old loop hole. They went nuts with stupid changes in the off season, no reason not to do this now. maybe a canadian starter at qb counts as a canadian starter, or even a back up canadian qb gives you an extra DI spot.

Hundreds.

Hundreds.

blake sims argos just this year and he started at bama not u of man

Grant Hedrick (Boise State) and Aaron Wilmer (Delaware Valley) with BC this year. 

A lot of teams do clear out their QB arms at mini-camp so they don't need to bring a guy to training camp and send them packing but it happens.

Ask Travis Lulay about his NFL experience with Seattle. 

I think we need to look at this situation from both perspectives.

Let’s start with Yantz.  I can completely understand why Yantz feels sour about the situation.  If I was in his shoes I would have felt the same.

The reality is he did not really get a fair shot.  It may true that he may not have been up to par in other areas, like the class room, but none of us can claim that because we were not there. We just don’t know.

That being said, even if that was the case I have seen many people who are not that great in the class room, excel on the football field.  So for me, it’s perfectly understandable that he would be upset, because he never got that chance to show what he could do in live action.  It sucks.

Now let’s look at it from the Winnipeg Football Clubs perspective.

The Club needs a fifth arm in camp as to not wear out the other QB’s arms.  They identify Yantz as a good Canadian prospect that can come in and not count against the roster. That’s a perfect scenario for them.

However, now they have 5 arms in camp and there are not enough reps to go around.  The fifth man, no matter where he is from, is always the odd man out.  (A lot of the time the 4th QB is also the odd man out.) Couple that with the fact that the other 4 QB’s on the roster have very little experience themselves which means they need as much playing time as they can get come game day.   

I watched one of the Calgary pre-season games and they were able to sit both Bo Levi Mitchell and Drew Tate. (I am not sure if there were some injuries involved in those decisions.) Because of that they were able to give their Canadian QB some reps in a  game. Calgary can afford to do that because they know what they have in both of those QB’s.  I don’t think the same can be said about Willy and co.

There are only 2 pre-season games, which means only 8 quarters for 5 QB’s.  This year it just so happened that Willy needed 4 of those quarters. That leaves 4 quarters for 4 QB’s, all of whom are lacking in experience. It’s more important that Willy gets comfortable within the system than if the 5th string QB gets a few reps in game.

Quite frankly the Bombers knew who their top 3 QB’s were going into camp.  Willy, Brohm and Marve. They needed to make sure that the top 2 guys had enough time under center because they are the ones that will be seeing the field in the regular season.  Getting Willy ready for the season is priority #1 and then getting the back-up, who ever that might be, ready is priority #2.  The rest have to fight for scraps and when you’re fighting with 2 other QB's who have much more of a pedigree than you do, for scraps you’re probably not going to get much.

In the end, I sympathies with Yantz, because it kind of sucks that the circumstances did not allow him to show what he can do, but I completely understand why the Bombers  could not give him the time under center that he desired. 

I wish him well in his future endeavors.