Yantz doesn'st feel he was given a fair shot

Wow. This is getting outta hand.. He was given a 3 year contract because he showed some stuff that interested the team.. As it was mentioned then, this doesn't mean anything as they are not guaranteed..

How many other canadian QBS have come to camp and left without landing a roster spot? How many of those GMS are suddenly lacking credibility and losing FAs and drafted players due to this?

What a mountain from a mole hill.

It's mostly based on Yantz's published quotes today.

Wow. This is getting outta hand.. He was given a 3 year contract because he showed some stuff that interested the team.. As it was mentioned then, this doesn't mean anything as they are not guaranteed..

How many other canadian QBS have come to camp and left without landing a roster spot? How many of those GMS are suddenly lacking credibility and losing FAs and drafted players due to this?

It's mostly based on Yantz's published quotes today.

And there seems to be people who are getting caught up in this because he is a local kid, etc etc.. Reality of the situation is he did not impress enough or showcase himself well enough to warrant a PR or roster spot. It wasn't a shocker to me. I can't imagine it was a shocker for many. I'd like to know if Walters and O'shea asked him if he would be willing to be rec or if he was solely a QB. I can't imagine he was truly going to make any noise at all as QB even on the weak assed QB depth chart we sport.

To suggest this is going to make Walters look bad to other GMs and players though is a tad much. Yantz wasn't promised anything other then a chance... He got that even if he was sad by the lack of reps. This isn't s developmental league, this is a professional league.. He gets the shaft due to being canadian but that's simply the way it is..

Did the international kicker get an interview with the papers when he was cut? I'm confident that the club already had their minds made up on our kicking situation, the poor guy never had a chance.

The ONLY reason this is a story is because Yantz is Canadian, and it could have been a feel good story if he made the team.

Sorry, I don't care if our QB is Canadian, American, Mexican or Greek, I just want the best. As the 5th string QB coming into camp, he needed to steal reps away from the others and force the coaches to keep him, which he couldn't do. Best of luck to ya!

Did the international kicker get an interview with the papers when he was cut? I'm confident that the club already had their minds made up on our kicking situation, the poor guy never had a chance.

The ONLY reason this is a story is because Yantz is Canadian, and it could have been a feel good story if he made the team.

Sorry, I don't care if our QB is Canadian, American, Mexican or Greek, I just want the best. As the 5th string QB coming into camp, he needed to steal reps away from the others and force the coaches to keep him, which he couldn't do. Best of luck to ya!

It's a story because it sounds like Walters made promises that weren't kept.

No.. It sounds like Yantz is pissed off that he got cut. I don't see anywhere that Walters mislead or lied to the kid. He got his chance to prove himself. He didn't do enough to make it a tough call at end of the day., Yantz is just extending his 15 mins of fame AND looking a little pretentious trying to imply wrong doing by the bombers when it was simply a case of him getting his chances and falling short..

No.. It sounds like Yantz is pissed off that he got cut. I don't see anywhere that Walters mislead or lied to the kid. He got his chance to prove himself. He didn't do enough to make it a tough call at end of the day., Yantz is just extending his 15 mins of fame AND looking a little pretentious trying to imply wrong doing by the bombers when it was simply a case of him getting his chances and falling short..

I didnt get the feeling reading the TC reports that Yantz had much of any opportunity to prove himself, practices with no reps, 1 rep...no preseason game, sounds like he was just a spectator not actually in it to make any tough decisions for anyone

I didnt get the feeling reading the TC reports that Yantz had much of any opportunity to prove himself, practices with no reps, 1 rep...no preseason game, sounds like he was just a spectator not actually in it to make any tough decisions for anyone

How many reps did he get in rookie camp, mini camp, etc? He clearly didn't wow enough to warrant the extra reps in the other camps..

It's not like TC was our evaluation staffs first time seeing him in action..

What GM is going to say to a player "yeah bud we're just going to bring you to camp so our starters don't get tired, you've got no chance at making this team."

Of course he's going to tell him he has a shot. It's then up to Yantz to turn some heads and force the team to keep him.

I also don't think Walters lied or mislead Yantz, he was brought to camp, therefore, given a chance to make the team.

What QB, who was cut this year in the CFL, was given an interview by the local paper? It's only because he's Canadian...

How many reps did he get in rookie camp, mini camp, etc? He clearly didn't wow enough to warrant the extra reps in the other camps..

seems common practice to bring all your QBs to rookie camp so im gonna guess the same? = not many

I know its not their first time looking at him so why bring him in then if you know he aint going to unseat even our #4.  if Willy got tired you play brohm more or Marve more as the filler, im sure they above portis and yantz need that as they'll be first called upon.  If he was brought in strictly as an injury insurance policy, you tell him as much you dont sign him to a 3 year contract and tell him he will be given an opportunity to compete when clearly he didn't

seems common practice to bring all your QBs to rookie camp so im gonna guess the same? = not many

I know its not their first time looking at him so why bring him in then if you know he aint going to unseat even our #4.  if Willy got tired you play brohm more or Marve more as the filler, im sure they above portis and yantz need that as they'll be first called upon.  If he was brought in strictly as an injury insurance policy, you tell him as much you dont sign him to a 3 year contract and tell him he will be given an opportunity to compete when clearly he didn't

Nobody knows what was said behind closed doors. Did he get told he has a legit chance as a QB or was it a legit chance if he was to be a QB/STer? When was his contract signed? It was pretty much right after the draft right? So they liked what they saw and then didn't like it as much after camps obviously.. Also, why bother hunting down another 5th arm if you have one in camp already? If he's not wowing,tough noogies but they still needed a 5th arm.

Lastly, I don't know how much more I can say it., he was given a shot. Hell, he was given a shot more so then a lot of canadian QBS.. he obviously didn't do enough to convince McManus (a staunch supporter of canadian QBs), Walters (another huge pro-Canuck guy) or O'shea to go to bat for him..

Unless you think you know more then these 3 guys?

the kicker got waaaay more playing time including a preseason game then Yantz (of course less competition)

Yeah but do you think he had an honest shot at making the team

No, but it would be interesting to know what they told santella, was he told he could compete against Hajrullahu who just had a rookie of the year type season? or was it an opportunity to wow us incase he gets hurt, and/or showcase to everyone else across the league incase they need.

With Yantz,  the sinopoli idea was mentioned immediately and it was immediately responded with no, he is being looked at as a QB. in our organization we ponied up and latched onto Willy who is still a bit of a ? and did miss part of the season last year. Our #2 Brohm hasnt really blown the pants off anyone, our #3 is a work in progress that the coach even recently said needs to fine tune aspects, our #4 on the PR hasnt been able to capitalize, so why not give Yantz a realistic chance to show if hes got anything since you told him you will have a shot to compete. Whats the worst case, he does worse then everyone and he's cut. but did he get that opportunity? he says no, many reports say no, and unless they were having secret practices were unaware of,  im gonna say no he didnt.

as gbill just mentioned a few posts up,  he attended 7-8 TC practices and Yantz got 1 rep.. 1 rep!  does that sound like he had the opportunity to compete? not a single down in preseason game, not 1! I dont know what went on behind closed doors,  but unless the kid was nailing someones wife,  I just dont know how anyone can say he had his chance and blew it

the kicker got waaaay more playing time including a preseason game then Yantz (of course less competition)

Yeah but do you think he had an honest shot at making the team?

Yes I do because I think the Bomber brass were a little concerned about Lirim's punting coming into this season since he would be the only kicker on the roster.  But Lirim's punting in TC and the last preseason game were excellent and probably put any concerns to rest.  But I recall last season while his FGs and kickoffs were very good, his punting was occasionally less than stellar.  Now the American dude would have had to be the second coming of Patrick err I mean Swayze Waters to make the team, but his punting was very good in the first preseason game.  Worth a look if nothing else.

Would have been nice if Yantz got a couple reps in the games so I get where he is coming from.  But as it's been pointed out, who knows how he was with the playbook or meetings or whatever.  If he wasn't going to get a fair shake, I'd have rather they brought someone else in to push Portis, who hasn't impressed that much either so far.  It's all a moot point though if Willy, Marve and Brohm stay healthy during the season.  Later in the season I'm sure they'll bring in another QB to look at.  Best of luck to Yantz wherever he goes.

Yes I do because I think the Bomber brass were a little concerned about Lirim's punting coming into this season since he would be the only kicker on the roster.  But Lirim's punting in TC and the last preseason game were excellent and probably put any concerns to rest.  But I recall last season while his FGs and kickoffs were very good, his punting was occasionally less than stellar.  Now the American dude would have had to be the second coming of Patrick err I mean Swayze Waters to make the team, but his punting was very good in the first preseason game.  Worth a look if nothing else.

Would have been nice if Yantz got a couple reps in the games so I get where he is coming from.  But as it's been pointed out, who knows how he was with the playbook or meetings or whatever.  If he wasn't going to get a fair shake, I'd have rather they brought someone else in to push Portis, who hasn't impressed that much either so far.  It's all a moot point though if Willy, Marve and Brohm stay healthy during the season.  Later in the season I'm sure they'll bring in another QB to look at.  Best of luck to Yantz wherever he goes.

Sounds like he is apprenticing to be an electrician, probably back home in Sask.

Sounds like he is apprenticing to be an electrician, probably back home in Sask.

Then good for him.  Nothing wrong with getting into a Trade.  Worked for me  :) .

I obviously have no idea what was said between Walters and Yantz, but this is a bit of a garbage comment. There is no way Walters promised Yantz anything. GMs don't do that.

He was signed. As a rookie, CIS, 5th QB. Against 4 americans with CFL experience who were returning to the same offence they spent all of last season in. We, as well as every other CFL team, sign an extra arm every season - who is cut every season - and not one word is said. The only reason he even got a quote in the paper is because he's from UofM.

I obviously have no idea what was said between Walters and Yantz, but this is a bit of a garbage comment. There is no way Walters promised Yantz anything. GMs don't do that.

He was signed. As a rookie, CIS, 5th QB. Against 4 americans with CFL experience who were returning to the same offence they spent all of last season in. We, as well as every other CFL team, sign an extra arm every season - who is cut every season - and not one word is said. The only reason he even got a quote in the paper is because he's from UofM.

Based on Yantz's quotes, it sounds like Walters promised him an opportunity to compete for a roster spot, and Yantz feels he didn't get that opportunity. Interpret that however you like.

His shot was as good as any fifth string QB gets. He came in, tossed footballs in rookie camp, and based on his status on the depth chart .. got the rep(s) he warranted. He was an arm. He served his purpose. He got released. It would have been done sooner had he been a counter.

d8317e8c0317b36e22292f81cd840e5ceda17872

Based on Yantz's quotes, it sounds like Walters promised him an opportunity to compete for a roster spot, and Yantz feels he didn't get that opportunity. Interpret that however you like.

He did get an opportunity, he was on the field. Yantz had to earn anything more, and no, he would't have had much of a chance to do that and yes, the odds were stacked against him. But there is nothing here against Walters, because all he can promise is a number on the guys back, which was provided.

I have no issue with him being cut if he wasn't going to beat out the 4 we kept, but if they kinda already knew that and clearly not giving him the chance to beat out anyone illustrates that then why not get your scouts to find someone with a chance to possibly be better than at the very least Portis. People say they are in favor of putting the best possible team out there, yet seems they were pretty dead set with their QBs,  in which case bring in 4 and bring in another player for an area of need. Its not like the very few reps Yantz did get would have blown a tire on any of the 4 QBs taking these limited and valuable reps