Yantz doesn'st feel he was given a fair shot

I'm not too worried about a 5th string Canadian QB damaging our reputation but it's pretty obvious that he didn't get a fair chance

Your missing the point. It's not just about Yantz. It calls into question the credibility of our GM, if he's making promises to players and not keeping them. Other players pay attention to this stuff.

My only concern is that it sounds like Walters may have mislead him. If true, that can damage the reputation of the organization and make future players hesitant of signing here.

I imagine signing a 3 year contract and the conversation around that could have given Yantz the false impression that he would at least make the PR and be given the opportunity to develop further.

I'm not too worried about a 5th string Canadian QB damaging our reputation but it's pretty obvious that he didn't get a fair chance

Your missing the point. It's not just about Yantz. It calls into question the credibility of our GM, if he's making promises to players and not keeping them. Other players pay attention to this stuff.

Good lord.. How many reps do you think every other 5th string quarterback get? He got an opportunity to show his stuff. He was more then a long shot to make it. He stuck around longer then most people thought. If this was Yantz from Kentucky this would be a non issue. Players that get cut always think they didn't get a fair chance, what else is new.

Good lord.. How many reps do you think every other 5th string quarterback get? He got an opportunity to show his stuff. He was more then a long shot to make it. He stuck around longer then most people thought. If this was Yantz from Kentucky this would be a non issue. Players that get cut always think they didn't get a fair chance, what else is new.
Again, that's not the point. In reading the article on Yantz, it sounds like Walters told him one thing, and something very different happened.

- As far as focus goes, I'm pretty sure focus on the team and focus on the #4 and #5 can be distinguished, especially as TC progresses

- And as far as ceiling goes, I agree with Tainted_F - how would we know?

- Personally, nobody, Portis included, has convinced me that Portis is the better QB anyways...Portis has been in the system..in the league for what 3 years? And he still rates a PR spot?

If Yantz isn't at least equal...I think we need to bring another QB for a look. I mean, is Portis at least average?

Again, that's not the point. In reading the article on Yantz, it sounds like Walters told him one thing, and something very different happened.

What do you think GM's tell players when they're signed? I'm sure EVERY player invited to TC was told they'd have an opportunity to make the roster. So he didn't get enough reps. Big deal.

What do you think GM's tell players when they're signed? I'm sure EVERY player invited to TC was told they'd have an opportunity to make the roster. So he didn't get enough reps. Big deal.
It's called credibility. I'm a big fan of Walters, but I think he lost a bit of credibility with his handling of Yantz, if what Yantz is saying is the truth.

Once again I think this can be flipped around. People say this looks bad on the Bombers, but I don't think it reflects well on Yantz, especially if he thinks he has a shot to make a CFL roster here or elsewhere. 

His best chance is to keep working, hope that maybe a Canadian QB rule gets put in place soon, and to try to get onto the Bomber roster that way. If he wasn't a Bison this wouldn't be a story.

I think for some him being a NI and former bison plays a part in interest to the story, for me personally,  I've heard a lot of praise for the kids ability, and when you hear walters himself say he played better then the american qbs invited to florida it leaves me wondering why Portis (who i havent heard much praise for) gets more consideration.  If Portis or anyone for that matter was better then him,  then so be it,  I dont think Yantz himself would have an issue being beat out fair and square,  but from the sounds of it Yantz never got any opportunity, TC or Pregames to compete despite being told he would.

I think for some him being a NI and former bison plays a part in interest to the story, for me personally,  I've heard a lot of praise for the kids ability, and when you hear walters himself say he played better then the american qbs invited to florida it leaves me wondering why Portis (who i havent heard much praise for) gets more consideration.  If Portis or anyone for that matter was better then him,  then so be it,  I dont think Yantz himself would have an issue being beat out fair and square,  but from the sounds of it Yantz never got any opportunity, TC or Pregames to compete despite being told he would.

Personally I think the flow of information usually goes like this: media asks about Yantz --> Walters speaks positively about him --> people then pump up Yantz more. 

I'm trying to recall of someone that Walters or even O'Shea didn't speak positively about.

Kind of reminds me of what happened with Reaves too. The media focused on him so he got lots of press. I recall just before camp cuts Ed Tait was glowing about how he was continually improving and could actually make the roster. This despite being either the worst receiver there, or in contention for that title, from what I saw.

I think for some him being a NI and former bison plays a part in interest to the story, for me personally, I've heard a lot of praise for the kids ability, and when you hear walters himself say he played better then the american qbs invited to florida it leaves me wondering why Portis (who i havent heard much praise for) gets more consideration. If Portis or anyone for that matter was better then him, then so be it, I dont think Yantz himself would have an issue being beat out fair and square, but from the sounds of it Yantz never got any opportunity, TC or Pregames to compete despite being told he would.

Personally I think the flow of information usually goes like this: media asks about Yantz --> Walters speaks positively about him --> people then pump up Yantz more.

I'm trying to recall of someone that Walters or even O'Shea didn't speak positively about.

Kind of reminds me of what happened with Reaves too. The media focused on him so he got lots of press. I recall just before camp cuts Ed Tait was glowing about how he was continually improving and could actually make the roster. This despite being either the worst receiver there, or in contention for that title, from what I saw.

The quotes are directly from Yantz. He says he feels mislead and never got a chance.

I think you are making way too much out of that.  He might have just been the best of a bad bunch down there.   Outplaying a few guys who probably weren't going to get an invite to camp anyway, doesn't tell you anything about how he stacked up against actual CFL-level QB's.

I think for some him being a NI and former bison plays a part in interest to the story, for me personally, I've heard a lot of praise for the kids ability, and when you hear walters himself say he played better then the american qbs invited to florida it leaves me wondering why Portis (who i havent heard much praise for) gets more consideration. If Portis or anyone for that matter was better then him, then so be it, I dont think Yantz himself would have an issue being beat out fair and square, but from the sounds of it Yantz never got any opportunity, TC or Pregames to compete despite being told he would.

The quotes are directly from Yantz. He says he feels mislead and never got a chance.

I'm aware of that, but I replied to a quote that focused on more than that.

i dont think i would be the most gracious of people either if i was dicked around in a job interview

but 3 years of tape,  brought him in last years TC, then to mini camp this year where hes told he outplayed the american qbs brought in then brought to this years TC, but is given no opportunity to compete and then written off? again why bring him in at all? OR if hes just there for injury insurance why not make that perfectly clear?

He didn't go to mini camp (he was still draft-eligible at that point). Based on following him in the CIS, Walters and team determined after he went undrafted that Yantz was better than the QBs they *did* have at mini camp, and signed him.

As for "getting a fair shot", that's totally up for interpretation. Yantz obviously feels that he didn't, but not getting reps in the last week of practices could very well be because of what others have said above -- maybe in the drills he was way behind, or maybe he was taking too long with the playbook.

I had hoped the team was viewing him as a project (just like Reaves), knowing they had no shot this year, but wanting to get them involved now with the hope of it paying off in a year or 2. Obviously they felt it wasn't worth the roster spot, and that the TC and preseason reps were more important to give to the guys who they felt would make the team and need to be fully evaluated.

To many Canadian QBs who never get to a CFL training camp, Yantz got more than a fair shot! He just didn't do enough in his limited time to warrant more of a look.

I do hope the rules are changed so we can see every CFL team carrying a Canadian QB on the roster some day, and they're given the time to gain experience to match their certain raw talent. But until that happens, they're starting so far behind the 8 ball, it's just not even fair to them.

The three year contract is looking pretty strange. What was the point of that?

Clearly they were hoping to get a diamond in the rough. In a league where the team holds the options, wouldn't you want to sign a guy that might pan out to a longer deal, when you know you can just release him if he doesn't have what it takes? It sounds more like Yantz is a rookie who just didn't see that side of it, thought the team was more committed to him than they were, and bought into the interviews and press around his signing.

It sucks, but it's the way it is.

My only concern is that it sounds like Walters may have mislead him. If true, that can damage the reputation of the organization and make future players hesitant of signing here.

I can't imagine any player looking to sign with the Bombers being told, "You probably aren't gonna make it, now please sign with us." Every player is likely told they're going to get a shot -- nobody would come otherwise. But I also believe the team means it when they say it, even those lower on the totem pole. They're in camp, they're taking part in drills, they're getting reps (and it sounds like through rookie camp and the beginning of main camp, Yantz was getting more reps). He obviously showed to be well behind the other guys, and so the reps dropped off. Again, it sucks, but he got his shot and didn't sieze it. And of course, that's in part because of the system that doesn't value Canadian QBs despite them coming in *way behind* U.S. QBs as far as training, experience, etc.

Anyone mad at the Bombers in this situation apparently are more comfortable with the team being nice than trying to win that far-too-elusive Grey Cup title. The best players should make the team, factoring in the ratio. Period.

i dont think i would be the most gracious of people either if i was dicked around in a job interview

but 3 years of tape,  brought him in last years TC, then to mini camp this year where hes told he outplayed the american qbs brought in then brought to this years TC, but is given no opportunity to compete and then written off? again why bring him in at all? OR if hes just there for injury insurance why not make that perfectly clear?

He didn't go to mini camp (he was still draft-eligible at that point). Based on following him in the CIS, Walters and team determined after he went undrafted that Yantz was better than the QBs they *did* have at mini camp, and signed him.

As for "getting a fair shot", that's totally up for interpretation. Yantz obviously feels that he didn't, but not getting reps in the last week of practices could very well be because of what others have said above -- maybe in the drills he was way behind, or maybe he was taking too long with the playbook.

I had hoped the team was viewing him as a project (just like Reaves), knowing they had no shot this year, but wanting to get them involved now with the hope of it paying off in a year or 2. Obviously they felt it wasn't worth the roster spot, and that the TC and preseason reps were more important to give to the guys who they felt would make the team and need to be fully evaluated.

To many Canadian QBs who never get to a CFL training camp, Yantz got more than a fair shot! He just didn't do enough in his limited time to warrant more of a look.

I do hope the rules are changed so we can see every CFL team carrying a Canadian QB on the roster some day, and they're given the time to gain experience to match their certain raw talent. But until that happens, they're starting so far behind the 8 ball, it's just not even fair to them.

Sorry I reread it,  your correct it doesnt say he was at mini camp,  but walters told him he was better then the americans he did invite down in florida, and that to me at least - since he's a canadian -  make me curious to see how this kid could do with pro level talent. I just think to say he's not good enough yet kid only got a throw or 2 (if not handing off the ball) a practice is really pre mature or confusing as to what made portis any better? honestly reading the TC reports again no one was impressed by him (Portis). The article does say Yantz was invited to the 2014 bombers camp,  and 2013 BC Lions camp, kid obviously has some skill,  lets see it

Wow. This is getting outta hand.. He was given a 3 year contract because he showed some stuff that interested the team.. As it was mentioned then, this doesn't mean anything as they are not guaranteed..

How many other canadian QBS have come to camp and left without landing a roster spot? How many of those GMS are suddenly lacking credibility and losing FAs and drafted players due to this?

What a mountain from a mole hill.