Bombers trade Cory Watson to Saskatchewan

Mike

I don't mind getting a second round pick for Watson.  Not sure we needed to give up a 3rd rounder and I don't even remember Bastien playing last year.  

Getting something for an expensive NI receiver who couldn't stay healthy and wasn't a threat anymore is a good move IMHO.  

I doubt it changes Walters philosophy towards taking an O lineman high and low.  Still think we will take an O lineman with our #2 overall unless we can sign a NI starter in FA. 

If you add the salaries of Bagg Getzlaf and Watson must be North of 450,000.

One of them must be going down the road, my money is on Getz.

That's a crazy payroll for receivers, especially if/when they re-sign Dressler.

Agreed.  imo someone has to be going out of here. we can't afford to keep everyone. the good ship taman will be under siege for this move. can't say anything bad about Watson but the guy can't stay healthy. Another roll the dice move by the riders this winter.

That would push to $700 (more or less) for 4 receivers.

Agreed.  imo someone has to be going out of here. we can't afford to keep everyone. the good ship taman will be under siege for this move. can't say anything bad about Watson but the guy can't stay healthy. Another roll the dice move by the riders this winter.

Taman might have given up to the Heenan and Dressler sweepstakes this early.

Another of my jerseys down. I like the trade 3 picks in the top 15.

I only own 2 jerseys and now both are gone. I had hoped my Watson jersey was still safe since they used his picture on the the mobile store. Lol Guess that needs a new paint job now.

However I like the trade too.

very good move by Walters, he is earning his stripes as a G.M. He has a good handle on the Salary cap management and has it set up to retain core guys longterm, creating stability.

We just secured 4 picks in the top 20 of probably one of the stronger drafts in years where we could realistically see 3 draftees make the game day roster. 

He's created cap room for a big splash in free agency and if cards fall into place as they just may now, we may be in a position in one full swoop of an off-season solve O-Line issues, ratio and Canadian depth issues and allow us to more than likely play 4 import receivers, or possibly an all american d-line

texas-tech-bell-ringer.gif

I really don't see us going OL in the first round now, if we have 4 picks in the top 20.

You could go skill position at 2nd overall and draft 2 OL with the 11/15/20th picks and still come out with a great haul.

Really depends on how things shake down at the combine, though.

Think Walters feels pretty good about getting a OL in FA?

For all those who wanted to know about Bastien (also, PAGING NOELLER)

This is what one of the smarter guys on RF said about him

If I had to compare Bastien to an former Bomber, it would be Stoddard. Big, slow, but runs good routes and has good hands. He could be a good possession guy.

How is this move playing amongst Rider fans?

People like Watson, he is good player, but he can't stay healthy. As far as Bastien, we are deep at receiver he was on practice roster behind 2 other guys, he likely would have never saw the field. I think this is the first of 2 moves, another one is coming with riders involving a receiver. There has to be IMO

Love the trade.

Not so sure the Riders will move a receiver.  They may be looking at starting 3 Canadian receivers.

I'm convinced we will land at least one of Heenan or Holmes.  We may even wildly overpay, but to me it looks like Walters isn't going to take no for an answer.

Where the heck did we get the 26th overall pick?

So right now .. we have picks at 2, 9, 15 .. ? 

I know we traded conditional picks for Portis and Brohm .. can anyone enlighten me as to the rest of our picks for this year?

I see 2, 11, 15, 20, 29, 38, and 46.

Traded 35 (which we acquired from Sask in the Neufeld trade) to Hamilton for Brohm.  Traded 55 to the Argos for Portis.

We just traded 26 and I have no idea where we got it.

Watson just spent too much time on the sidelines. You could never count on him from game to game, and there was just too much cash tied up in him.  Rider fans seemed to like this Bastien kid, although it was just potential they were talking about. I guess we will realize it now, potential that is. I also feel we will not go o line in the first round. Demski maybe??? Guess we'll find out in 12 days. C'mon over Mr. Heenan...like it.

So right now .. we have picks at 2, 9, 15 .. ? 

I know we traded conditional picks for Portis and Brohm .. can anyone enlighten me as to the rest of our picks for this year?

I see 2, 11, 15, 20, 29, 38, and 46.

Traded 35 (which we acquired from Sask in the Neufeld trade) to Hamilton for Brohm.  Traded 55 to the Argos for Portis.

We just traded 26 and I have no idea where we got it.

Thanks.

Had a brain fart going into the second round (9 instead of 11), chalk it up to a lack of caffiene.   4 picks in the first three rounds  ..  that's gold .. especially in this draft.

What's the scouting report on Bastien?

Rids had him as the 2nd rated receiver in last years draft (behind Devon Bailey).  His report said he won't run away from anyone at the CFL level but will be hard for LB's to handle in coverage and he makes tough catches in tight quarters.

Why do we need to unload salary in order to put out large offers to FA??

The cap doesn't come into play in the offseason?   I guess you don't want to cut someone for nothing if the salary cap becomes and issue.. but...

Unloading salary before it gets you in a crunch is what prevents other general managers from leaning on you in negotiations.

This is exactly the type of stuff everyone loves about Wally Buono as a GM.