George Cortez won't be back with Riders in 2015

gbill2004

@BomberJetsTalk: As per @PentonKirk, sounds like Bombers will keep Bellefeuille. Cortez unlikely.

Another horrible decision by my favorite team.

Disagree. I like the idea of wanting improvement but there will always be someone somewhere that somebody would

Argue is better than the guy you have. I don't think marcel was a negative thus I am fine giving him another season. Walters needs upgrade the talent.

I have a position contrary to yours, but am unable to express it in a wildly irrational manner, so it probably does not fit in with the tone of this thread.

I dont think my point was irrational so Id certainly like to hear yours.

Im somewhat biased because I've met Marcel several times and like him personally.  But I like the hiring at the time and I still do. 

This same horrific group of coordinators got us off to one hell of a start, did they not? Its not like we were 2-16..

If they are back, so be it... whos to say this is even the case yet, i mean the dust hasnt even finished falling yet chicken littles..

Dude, who cares about a good start? Besides, MB really benefitted from Etchevary's defence the first 6 games. Only reason we won so many to start is because the defence was scoring so much and holding teams to very little.

That being said.... Etch always looks like a genius in the first 6, then tanks... Therefore, it's not only MB that needs to go

I thought that if the first seven games were switched with the last seven games, we'd all be happy. or some of us. or,,,

forget it.

@BomberJetsTalk: As per @PentonKirk, sounds like Bombers will keep Bellefeuille. Cortez unlikely.

Disagree. I like the idea of wanting improvement but there will always be someone somewhere that somebody would

Argue is better than the guy you have. I don't think marcel was a negative thus I am fine giving him another season. Walters needs upgrade the talent.

I have a position contrary to yours, but am unable to express it in a wildly irrational manner, so it probably does not fit in with the tone of this thread.

Im somewhat biased because I've met Marcel several times and like him personally.  But I like the hiring at the time and I still do. 

It was not.  I was speaking off your post, not about it.

The world is full of fans who dish out blame to the easiest target whether it belongs there or not.  People who scream at the QB for an interception despite having no clue what way the receiver was supposed to break.  People who swear at the Oline for a sack despite having no clue what the protection was supposed to be.  I don't like to be one of those guys.

So I'm not going to blame MB for any one play, or series, or game.  Would he have done better with better players?  I should hope so.  That idea should hold true for any coach.

He was here last year.  He got a pass for 2013 because of the whole Lapo to Crowton to Burke to Crowton to Bellefeuile clustersmooch of a transition that happened over that time, and the lack of any chance to have a coherent playbook of his own.  This year doesn't just become a fresh start in my mind though.  He had many of these players here last year and still had a chance to build off of something, even if it wasn't something spectacular.  He didn't seem to do that beyond the first bunch of games.

In the last two thirds of the season the offence spun it's wheels to the point where Neil Young should have been upset about the environmental damage.  More often than not the defence kept this team hanging around in almost every game.  This year was already MB's mulligan for last year.  Two mulligan seasons in a row?  I can't advocate that.

Bellefeuile does seem like a likeable guy.  Never met him, but his hard-knocks story certainly makes me want to root for his success.

Odd thing is, I will always root for the success of anyone associated with the Bombers, cause his success likely means the team is succeeding too.

I think Bellefeuille gets a mulligan due to the horrible O-line he inherited and was the worst in the league for most of the year. That really falls on Walters and so I am willing to give Bellefeuille another go at it even though I am not completely sold on him. Etcheverry is another matter altogether and has earned a road map and apple. I still think (and hope) that O'Shea is the right person for head coach but he has to prove that this year.

Not defending Etch, but if one gets a mulligan, the other should.  Lets not forget Kuale playing LB which is the equivalent of a crappy o-line.  Lets not forget as well as Wild was lost for a good chuck of the season, as well as Zack Anderson going down.  Our sack total just stopped once he was gone.

Can't we give Kuale a mulligan too, because it was his first year in Winnipeg?  What a disgusting premise.

In a perfect world, we get rid of 2 underperforming co-ordinators, but I get that the Bombers big 3 are trying to bring some stability to a franchise sorely lacking since about 2008.  For that reason, I see a max of one change, and yeah, it's likely that if one co-ordinator goes, that MB gets the mulligan.  Bellefeuille's offence did show some signs of proficiency, until the OL got exposed, and Willy caught deer in the headlights syndrome.  Etch's scheme was again exposed as undersized, and un-adaptive. This despite the fact that he brought in players that fit his scheme, and shooed out guys that didn't.

The worst part is that if we keep Etch, our D will be terrible next year and we'll expect it to be.  If we replace him, our D will still be terrible, as we try to adapt players under contract to a different defense.  But at least we'd be one year closer to not being terrible, and we'll have hope that towards the last third of the year, our D could be good again.

That's only half the news though. The other half is that Drew Willy is receiving radical new surgery in the off-season to be able to withstand the Bellefeuille protection packages...

robo-post.jpg

That's only half the news though. The other half is that Drew Willy is receiving radical new surgery in the off-season to be able to withstand the Bellefeuille protection packages...

robo-post.jpg

We know the Bombers are prudent with their spending so we might get a deal on a used Mark IV......

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=bear+suit&FORM=VIRE6#view=detail&mid=0970521BAECE9CF4463F0970521BAECE9CF4463F

I don't think the Bombers have a great offensive line, but to put the blame squarely on them isn't accurate. Willy was sacked plenty in Saskatchewan too, and most would agree they have a satisfactory front.

Willy was sacked every 8.2 dropbacks this season. When he played in Saskatchewan he was sacked every 9.2 dropbacks.

Brian Brohm was sacked every 18.5 dropbacks in relief this season, Robert Marve 1 time in 23 dropbacks.

Not all the QB's fault either, obviously, but a little perspective.

Also, FWIW, Durant was sacked every 13.1 dropbacks (44) last season. Willy would have equated to about 63 sacks last year, only three less than he did this year.

MB calls some nice plays but gets more conservative as the year goes... Not sure how this will change - our max protect packages and ol schemes seem outdated

I would replace the qb coach - Oldie McOlderson didn't cut it - get khari jones once he's fired in bc

mbrg, on 01 Dec 2014 - 1:17 PM, said:

The Unknown Poster, on 01 Dec 2014 - 12:52 PM, said:

It was not.  I was speaking off your post, not about it.

The world is full of fans who dish out blame to the easiest target whether it belongs there or not.  People who scream at the QB for an interception despite having no clue what way the receiver was supposed to break.  People who swear at the Oline for a sack despite having no clue what the protection was supposed to be.  I don't like to be one of those guys.

So I'm not going to blame MB for any one play, or series, or game.  Would he have done better with better players?  I should hope so.  That idea should hold true for any coach.

He was here last year.  He got a pass for 2013 because of the whole Lapo to Crowton to Burke to Crowton to Bellefeuile clustersmooch of a transition that happened over that time, and the lack of any chance to have a coherent playbook of his own.  This year doesn't just become a fresh start in my mind though.  He had many of these players here last year and still had a chance to build off of something, even if it wasn't something spectacular.  He didn't seem to do that beyond the first bunch of games.

In the last two thirds of the season the offence spun it's wheels to the point where Neil Young should have been upset about the environmental damage.  More often than not the defence kept this team hanging around in almost every game.  This year was already MB's mulligan for last year.  Two mulligan seasons in a row?  I can't advocate that.

Bellefeuile does seem like a likeable guy.  Never met him, but his hard-knocks story certainly makes me want to root for his success.

Odd thing is, I will always root for the success of anyone associated with the Bombers, cause his success likely means the team is succeeding too.

I think this is fair enough, and pretty well on target with the task this team has on hand.

I think where these misconceptions are coming in is that people already are stating that Bellefeuille is stuck here and that everyone on the coaching staff is guaranteed to stay next year.  No such statements have been made and people who jump to conclusions like this are as bad as those 3rd grade writers the WFP employs.  I don't think any writers, no matter what their names are, would know at this point whether or not O'Shea/Walters has any interest in Cortez.

Secondly, Cortez is gonna get multiple offers from different teams, and it's not a first-come first-serve thing.  He gets to decide which team offering him he wants to go work for.  I think first, if he's among any of the candidates for the BC head coaching job, I expect he'll be knocking on Buono's door trying to land that one.  If not, but BC chooses a coach who's interested in taking him on board, he'll still have them, us, and Ottawa if they offer him to choose from, but again, he gets to choose where he wants to go.  If he turned us down, that's not Walters and O'Shea's fault, just means he wanted to go with another team.

If not, but BC chooses a coach who's interested in taking him on board, he'll still have them, us, and Ottawa if they offer him to choose from, but again, he gets to choose where he wants to go.  If he turned us down, that's not Walters and O'Shea's fault, just means he wanted to go with another team.

Reports out of Ottawa have Jason Maas being named their OC.

I don't care how nice of a guy you are.  If you suck at your job, then you need to be replaced.  I don't know how he keeps getting hired in the CFL when he's never really had a successful season as an OC.  I agree with MBRG...Etch's D, although mediocre, kept our team alive when MB's play calling was crapping the bed.

If not, but BC chooses a coach who's interested in taking him on board, he'll still have them, us, and Ottawa if they offer him to choose from, but again, he gets to choose where he wants to go.  If he turned us down, that's not Walters and O'Shea's fault, just means he wanted to go with another team.

Reports out of Ottawa have Jason Maas being named their OC.

Already a thread on it.

http://morningbigblue.com/community/topic/6159-jason-maas-ottawas-new-oc/