George Cortez won't be back with Riders in 2015

gbill2004

From Arash Madani:

NOVEMBER 29, 2014, 5:25 PM

VANCOUVER — The freefall of the Saskatchewan Roughriders season will claim at least its offensive coordinator, and likely more members of the team’s coachin‎g staff.

Sportsnet has learned the Riders have parted ways with offensive coordinator George Cortez, only a year after winning the Grey Cup. Cortez is believed to be one of a number of Saskatchewan coaches that will not return in 2015.

The Roughriders got off to a terrific 8-2 ‎start this season, but lost quarterback Darian Durant to a torn elbow tendon in September. From there, the team was lost offensively — ineffective with back-ups Tino Sunseri and Seth Doege. Kerry Joseph was called off the couch from retirement in October, but did not help down the stretch, nor in the West semi-final playoff loss to the Edmonton Eskimos.

Cortez’s play calling c‎ame under fire throughout the season, and whispers from within the organization suggested a stubbornness to change.

Saskatchewan special teams coach ‎Bob Dyce may also find a new home. Sources said Dyce is interviewing for both the University of Regina head coaching job, as well as the offensive coordinator vacancy with the Ottawa RedBlacks.

From Arash Madani:

NOVEMBER 29, 2014, 5:25 PM

VANCOUVER — The freefall of the Saskatchewan Roughriders season will claim at least its offensive coordinator, and likely more members of the team’s coachin‎g staff.

Sportsnet has learned the Riders have parted ways with offensive coordinator George Cortez, only a year after winning the Grey Cup. Cortez is believed to be one of a number of Saskatchewan coaches that will not return in 2015.

The Roughriders got off to a terrific 8-2 ‎start this season, but lost quarterback Darian Durant to a torn elbow tendon in September. From there, the team was lost offensively — ineffective with back-ups Tino Sunseri and Seth Doege. Kerry Joseph was called off the couch from retirement in October, but did not help down the stretch, nor in the West semi-final playoff loss to the Edmonton Eskimos.

Cortez’s play calling c‎ame under fire throughout the season, and whispers from within the organization suggested a stubbornness to change.

Saskatchewan special teams coach ‎Bob Dyce may also find a new home. Sources said Dyce is interviewing for both the University of Regina head coaching job, as well as the offensive coordinator vacancy with the Ottawa RedBlacks.

Don't we have enough stubborn coaches?   

my guess will be...

Huff vacate the Stamps HC job and promote Dickenson then they hire Cortez as OC.

Dickenson as rookie HC with Cortez and Stubler as veteran coordinators would be a very good starting HC setup for Dickenson.

This seems plausible. 

Not sure if Cortez and Lapo would be a good tandem. I think BC will go either Lapo OR Cortez. 

George will go to OTT to OC before us for 1 big fat reason -- $$$$$

I don't see Dickenson and Cortez being a good fit.  Dickenson will keep control of the offence when he becomes a head coach IMO, don't think Cortez would take a CFL job where he's not calling the plays.

I was thinking this as well.  I also can't see Cortez and Lapo working together. 

I wasn't aware that it was Cortez who benched Allen because of a fumble and then rotated in a trio of other rbs who also fumbled and then went back to Allen...

I wasn't aware that Cortez was out on the field dropping balls left and right....

I wasn't aware that Cortez designed a working offense with a guy like Durant who thrives on moving the pocket and which worked great and then plugged in a QB like Sunseri who was the complete opposite and then didn't design a whole new offense to fit Sunseri's skill set.

I wasn't aware that Cortez forced Kerry Joseph to throw 4 poor ints....

Cortez has a great track record.... he is being the scapegoat for the Riders slump this year.

Easily would be the best hiring if we could do it in a long time.   

I unfortunately see him going to Ottawa for big moolah...