GDT - Winnipeg @ Ottawa RedBlacks - 6:00pm CST

TrueBlue

With Willy upright, we have a decent chance of a win, maybe even a substantial win. Without Willy in the game, its a toss-up, maybe with an edge to Ottawa. Ottawa has nothing to lose and the Bombers have everything to lose. If the Bombers lose, its a death spiral downwards from here, and we've been down that road too many times.

god i hope we win. im really getting tired of losing. 

if we do lose tonight i wonder if people will still keep insisting we've made such big improvements from last year.,

They could lose every remaining game and it would still be a huge improvement from last year, I think you are forgetting just how bad they were last year. Out of the game before the first quarter was done more nights than not, at least this time when they're getting beaten it's after a close game. 

Speaking of 1st quarters, Stats Junkie (Blue Bomber site) reports that : 

Winnipeg has not allowed many 1st Quarter points in recent weeks. They have allowed a total of only 10 First Quarter points in the last 9 games. In fact, the last 10 Winnipeg games have had no more than 8 combined points scored in the first 15:00.

That alone shows a tremendous improvement as we are always in the game, when the game actually counts…during the game, not just before the 1st kickoff.

if we do lose tonight i wonder if people will still keep insisting we've made such big improvements from last year.,

They could lose every remaining game and it would still be a huge improvement from last year, I think you are forgetting just how bad they were last year. Out of the game before the first quarter was done more nights than not, at least this time when they're getting beaten it's after a close game. 

I just don't subscribe to this logic. I think it matters where the losses and wins happen. If we had started off this bad, and recently won 5 of 6 I could agree. But were regressing so sharply that has to be taken into account. If we lose every game remaining in the season, including to a terrible Ottawa team, this team is in deep trouble next season. Wins in July and August mean nothing if the team completely falls apart. I just don't get how that's not understood,.

Heard on TSN 1290 this morning that the REDBLACKS plan on starting two 240 pound fullbacks at running back with the goal of doing what Sask did to us with Messam; exploit our small front 7.

Who might that be?

Lavoie is there only 240lb+ RB.  Unless they pull Delahunt of IR.

They moved Delahunt from IR to 44

I just don't subscribe to this logic. I think it matters where the losses and wins happen. If we had started off this bad, and recently won 5 of 6 I could agree. But were regressing so sharply that has to be taken into account. If we lose every game remaining in the season, including to a terrible Ottawa team, this team is in deep trouble next season. Wins in July and August mean nothing if the team completely falls apart. I just don't get how that's not understood,.

This statement is where the debate lays. My opinion is it appears they have presently plateaued, not regressed sharply, with a better core to work with moving forward. Also supporting cast needs major upgrading. Another way of assessing is are our best five guys (core) we have now better than our last years best five guys (core)? I'd say yes.  

You are entitled to be wrong, but when comparing to last year the progression is so obvious it's slapping you in the face. 

Anyone who doesn't think this has been a drastic improvement over last year is kidding themselves, we got a qb, we got a coach, we got a gm, we got scouts, we have 2 assistant GM's, we are no longer the gong show we were last year, in the off-season i suggested that it might take some time to remove that gong show label that we have had for the last several seasons. I was wrong cuz the gong show environment is gone already. 

Gotta think Walters is respected around the league, certainly is in terms of his ability to know the CIS.. McManus and Goveia are definitely well respected. Miller is respected. O'shea is respected. Last season? Man we were a joke on and off the field, this year... not really and the games we have lost recently, it's been more so due to our own mistakes than anything, it's not cuz we have given up and lack just the heart and character like last season, this year we fight to the end, honestly, last year if we were down 21-7 at the half, the game was over, done, you could turn it off or leave cuz you knew it was over, this year... down by 21-7 and in the fourth quarter we are right there, a play away from winning. It's definitely night and day. Honestly, i'd say from where we were last season at this point to now, It's been a drastic change. Off field and On Field, not sure how people can forget so quickly what last season was like. Maybe we are like Edmonton from last season, we found our QB and now he needs time to learn, difference between us and the ESKS from last season though is i think we got a good coach here already. Esks had to fire their Ultimate Warrior wannabe coach, do think the ESKS are a tad over rated thought and think next year we will be better than they have been this year. 

Some yards to chew up​:                                                       *courtesy of Stats Junkie

Winnipeg leads the CFL in 2014 having led after the 1st Quarter the most times. They have led after 15:00 eight times thus far and have a 5-3 record in those games.

- Nic Grigsby 51 catches: He leads all CFL running backs with 51 receptions having passed BC's Andrew Harris (46). 

- 3000 yards passing: Last week, Drew Willy became the 14th Winnipeg QB all-time to reach 3,000 in one season, and the last since Buck Pierce in 2011. He leads the CFL in passing at 3,280 yards and is on pace for 4,542 which would rank #8 all-time among Winnipeg passers (Khari Jones is #7 at 4,545 in 2001).

- With & Without Nick Moore: Nick Moore has played in just 2 of the last 7 games and the Bombers record shows they have missed his presence. In 2014, they are 5-2 when he starts, and just 1-5 when he is out of the lineup.

- Penalties: The Bombers committed season-high (tied) 15 penalties of which 7 were holding calls (4 Offence, 3 Returns). On the season, Winnipeg has the most holding/illegal block calls with 40 but also have the fewest roughing the passer calls with just 3. They also have by far the fewest defensive penalties in the CFL with just 32.

- Clarence Denmark: Is one of just 3 CFL receivers on pace for 1,000 yards in 2014 with 750 through 13 games. He is tied for the CFL lead with 7 catches for 30+ yards and #6 with 18 second down conversion catches.

- Aaron Kelly: Since being blanked in two straight games, Kelly has caught 19 passes for 210 yards in his last 3 games. It is the most passes he has ever caught in a 3-game span.

- 2014 Roster: Winnipeg has had 71 players on their Active Roster/Injured List this season through 13 games. That is already the third-highest total in club history and within 6 of the record 77 players that were on the club's 2013 roster.