Bombers interested in Romby Bryant?

I'll go on the record and state I just don't like Romby Bryant and it has nothing to do with what football ability he may or may not have left.

If Romby Bryant had told Mike Kelly to go fork himself in the locker room, I would've been suggesting we throw him a parade. But he quit on the field. Visibly gave up.

I don't pay to watch guys living out their personal vendettas on the field. I also don't think it's fair to his teammates.

If he wears the uniform again, I won't boo him but I won't be sad if he doesn't pan out and if he does, when he's replaced either.

Well, I might boo him if he dresses for our club. Because Bryant clearly quit on his team-mates last time he was here and in my opinion he doesn't deserve to ever again wear a Blue Bombers jersey. It also bugs me that current management shows such obvious disregard for recent history - and disrespect for fans and former players. They may not be mindful of that - new slate etc. but to bring in a player like Bryant, who demonstrated an utter lack of professionalism while here, borders on arrogance more than desperation. Such arrogance is not a good sign and will inevitably boomerang on Walters, O'Shea and Bellefeuille down the road. 

You guys have no idea of what a total schmuck Mike Kelly was.

I can't blame anyone for not wanting to play for him.

How do I have no idea? I watched the same season you did.

I was about to label this the "over-reaction" thread until Mr Perfect brought it back down to reality.... we're only working him out... that means taking a look to see if he's got some game left... and if our management and coaches think he can still play, I'll trust their judgement over my own... 

I'll go on the record and state I just don't like Romby Bryant and it has nothing to do with what football ability he may or may not have left.

If Romby Bryant had told Mike Kelly to go fork himself in the locker room, I would've been suggesting we throw him a parade. But he quit on the field. Visibly gave up.

I don't pay to watch guys living out their personal vendettas on the field. I also don't think it's fair to his teammates.

If he wears the uniform again, I won't boo him but I won't be sad if he doesn't pan out and if he does, when he's replaced either.

Well, I might boo him if he dresses for our club. Because Bryant clearly quit on his team-mates last time he was here and in my opinion he doesn't deserve to ever again wear a Blue Bombers jersey. It also bugs me that current management shows such obvious disregard for recent history - and disrespect for fans and former players. They may not be mindful of that - new slate etc. but to bring in a player like Bryant, who demonstrated an utter lack of professionalism while here, borders on arrogance more than desperation. Such arrogance is not a good sign and will inevitably boomerang on Walters, O'Shea and Bellefeuille down the road. 

You can try and spin it any way you like and no doubt current brain trust will try to do exactly that. But you know what? We've all worked for idiots from time to time. That's no excuse. You still do your job, unless, as demonstrated, you are me-first selfish. Bryant had 20 catches for 232 yards and no touchdowns through 11 games the year Kelly punted him to Stamps. We can do better than Romby Bryant, and bringing him in now is an insult to Bomber supporters and his former team-mates in Winnipeg.

Unless you're Mike Kelly's ex-girlfriend, you know just as much as everybody else...

I also have no use for Romby Bryant because of how his last time here ended.

On the other hand, I don't take it as a personal insult that the team would work him out, or even sign him. Come on.

I'm also not going to press the panic button over our lack of scouting just because we bring this guy in for a workout.  In years past this would be the exact situation where many people would be saying that we should at least give them a workout and see, because you never know.

On the other OTHER hand, I'm not exactly optimistic for the upcoming season. As everyone in the media tells us how the team is finally being run properly, and how it's going to be soooo much better, etc etc, before we've had any results whatsoever, I can't help but remember when they all said the exact same things at the beginning of the Joe Mack era. And Mike Kelly for about a month (remember how we all laughed at the subway comments and were so proud of the database? The media loved that too).

I'm sure there have been lots of teams that have been run "professionally", and "the right way", only to have no success and get the old mass firing that we're getting so good at here.

I remember Bryant was one of those guys who will get into a scuffle in defense of a teammate especially for his QB (Glenn at that time).

I don't think he quit on his teammates... but he surely quit on his coach... and he's not alone, Simpson, Armstrong... to name a few.

Yeah, his teammates was a collateral damage on his decision but can you fault a guy (or those guys) who can't stand his arrogant coach?

Talk about trying to turn this into a full fledged soap opera!

The entire team week in and week out quit on Tim Burke last season why is no one bitching that we brought back so many of them? Time to get over it, Kelly was a dink and alienated more than one player who isn't a problem player. 

Valid point ..

And that's just it. People crapped all over Mack for not bringing in experienced players. Now we are (and lets not forget, it's a work out, he hasn't even signed a deal) and people are still crying. You can't have it both ways. Is Romby the player he was in 2008 for us? Obviously not, but for those whining and complaining about our scouts, these are the same guys who had Drew Willy evaluated higher over Burris and Collaros (regardless of what anyone thinks about how it all played out) found Paris Cotton, and have brought in guys like Maurice Leggett and Bruce Johnson, so forgive me if I take their evaluations over the geniuses implying the entire scouting class this year was a failure.

We aren't lacking veteran receivers, we are lacking younger imports who can improve and maybe become something more than Kelly or Bryant are at this point in their careers. I could understand kicking the tires on a guy like Bryant if say Nick Moore was out for a month or something. Bringing in Romby on his last CFL legs rather than using those snaps on guys who could be that third imp receiver into 2015-2016 is disheartening.

Pretty safe to say the scouting at receiver was a failure when none of the guys who attended training camp were even good enough to keep on the practice roster.

You can try and spin it any way you like and no doubt current brain trust will try to do exactly that. But you know what? We've all worked for idiots from time to time. That's no excuse. You still do your job, unless, as demonstrated, you are me-first selfish. Bryant had 20 catches for 232 yards and no touchdowns through 11 games the year Kelly punted him to Stamps. We can do better than Romby Bryant, and bringing him in now is an insult to Bomber supporters and his former team-mates in Winnipeg.

No... Alot of people quit when they work for idiots.   Players can't quit and find a new job since they are under contract.. Sooooo.. the only way to get out of the situation without retiring is to force the team to trade you.

Shitty move on Bryant's part? I guess.. Sure.  He let the team down.. But i don't fault the guy.  If you can't stand working where you are and you are under contract, the only way out is to force a trade or get cut.

There is little or no indication that the scouting for that mysterious new receiver will end, now that the season has started. I'm sure all the shipping and receiving depots will be checked for the new guy.

But at this time all I really want is a functional offence that can win us games.

I don't really care who that 3rd import on the receiving end is if he can get us a min.500-700 yds and be part of a balanced attack.

If we can win games with 3 NI receivers even, it wouldn't bother me.

And that's just it. People crapped all over Mack for not bringing in experienced players. Now we are (and lets not forget, it's a work out, he hasn't even signed a deal) and people are still crying. You can't have it both ways. Is Romby the player he was in 2008 for us? Obviously not, but for those whining and complaining about our scouts, these are the same guys who had Drew Willy evaluated higher over Burris and Collaros (regardless of what anyone thinks about how it all played out) found Paris Cotton, and have brought in guys like Maurice Leggett and Bruce Johnson, so forgive me if I take their evaluations over the geniuses implying the entire scouting class this year was a failure.

We aren't lacking veteran receivers, we are lacking younger imports who can improve and maybe become something more than Kelly or Bryant are at this point in their careers. I could understand kicking the tires on a guy like Bryant if say Nick Moore was out for a month or something. Bringing in Romby on his last CFL legs rather than using those snaps on guys who could be that third imp receiver into 2015-2016 is disheartening.

Pretty safe to say the scouting at receiver was a failure when none of the guys who attended training camp were even good enough to keep on the practice roster.

Kemp is on the PR.

We aren't lacking veteran receivers, we are lacking younger imports who can improve and maybe become something more than Kelly or Bryant are at this point in their careers. I could understand kicking the tires on a guy like Bryant if say Nick Moore was out for a month or something. Bringing in Romby on his last CFL legs rather than using those snaps on guys who could be that third imp receiver into 2015-2016 is disheartening.Pretty safe to say the scouting at receiver was a failure when none of the guys who attended training camp were even good enough to keep on the practice roster.

Kemp is on the PR.

That doesn't really nullify Bolden's point.

They're bringing him in for a workout... relax...

It sounds like it is basically a physical and then he will be signed if he passes.  O'Shea sure sounds like he is pretty much sold on Bryant.

Okay....judgement first, assessment later.

They're bringing him in for a workout... relax...

It sounds like it is basically a physical and then he will be signed if he passes.  O'Shea sure sounds like he is pretty much sold on Bryant.

Okay....judgement first, assessment later.

Whatever that means.

How do I have no idea? I watched the same season you did.

Yeah but I doubt that you talked to Coach Harris as much as I did.

Not that Coach Harris ever ran Kelly down. You know he'd never do that. But just learning about some of the stuff that was going on made me conclude that Kelly had to go.

I remember Bryant was one of those guys who will get into a scuffle in defense of a teammate especially for his QB (Glenn at that time).

I don't think he quit on his teammates... but he surely quit on his coach... and he's not alone, Simpson, Armstrong... to name a few.

Yeah, his teammates was a collateral damage on his decision but can you fault a guy (or those guys) who can't stand his arrogant coach?

When there are more and better ways to go about it...Yes I can.