Collaros Released, Signs With Hamilton

Jpan85

Reading the Ticats forums...lots of Ticat fans are upset that they just released Burris for an unproven rookie. 

To go with our organization now saying our plan b or c was always our plan a. Historically this is what most organizations do because their not going to promote a signing as their third choice.

I don't believe that for a second.

That's why it's called plan a, plan b etc.

Everything I've seen from the Bombers was a) Collaros B) Burris c) Willy

Looks like we're moving on to plan b.

On the surface, and in theory, the plan of acquiring a vet QB along with a young upstart, has more merit than acquiring a somewhat new, less experienced QB, no matter our personal opinions on said QBs.

Or perhaps it just might have something to do with playing for a team that's ready to compete for a championship now versus one a couple of years away. Just maybe  ;)

said it before, will say it again: "geography".

Yeah there are reports coming out to this effect:

Paul Wiecek@PaulWiecek 9 mins

I"m hearing Bombers offer to Collaros was competitive with Hamilton's, but the QB wanted to remain in S. Ont. to be close to family.

Also interesting is:

Paul Wiecek@PaulWiecek 7 mins

Bombers submitted offer to Collaros on Weds, but never heard much back after that. All the negotiating went on with Hamilton.

It's really not that complicated. The current East Div Champs are guaranteeing him a starting job...slip right in there and maybe win a cup this year. That's a no-brainer.

I also wonder how much our OL factored into this decision.  Our offense doesn't have a pocket, it has a killing floor.

On the bright side, as we get our OL issues sorted out, it will be Burris taking that punishment, instead of some prized youngster like Mike Reilly who is the Future of the Franchise. 

It's really not that complicated. The current East Div Champs are guaranteeing him a starting job...slip right in there and maybe win a cup this year. That's a no-brainer.

I also wonder how much our OL factored into this decision.  Our offense doesn't have a pocket, it has a killing floor.

On the bright side, as we get our OL issues sorted out, it will be Burris taking that punishment, instead of some prized youngster like Mike Reilly who is the Future of the Franchise. 

I dunno I think Burris can make an o-line look better than they are, one of the things he does do well is avoid pressure in the pocket and buy time. Think of how many times you remember thinking that the Bombers should have had Burris sacked in the pocket but he managed to slip away... That's his real strength as a qb, forget the arm, he's an elusive player, that's what lets him put up the numbers he does. 

I"m hearing Bombers offer to Collaros was competitive with Hamilton's, but the QB wanted to remain in S. Ont. to be close to family.

Also interesting is:

Bombers submitted offer to Collaros on Weds, but never heard much back after that. All the negotiating went on with Hamilton.

So that's twice in a row that a QB didn't even bother to look here in Winnipeg.

Hamilton's OL is worse.

Reading the Ticats forums...lots of Ticat fans are upset that they just released Burris for an unproven rookie. 

To go with our organization now saying our plan b or c was always our plan a. Historically this is what most organizations do because their not going to promote a signing as their third choice.

I don't believe that for a second.

That's why it's called plan a, plan b etc.

Everything I've seen from the Bombers was a) Collaros B) Burris c) Willy

Looks like we're moving on to plan b.

On the surface, and in theory, the plan of acquiring a vet QB along with a young upstart, has more merit than acquiring a somewhat new, less experienced QB, no matter our personal opinions on said QBs.

My point is that the Bombers, regardless of whether you are right about what their actual plan a, b or c is, will not report it that way when it all shakes out. For example, if we land Burris, the presser is not going read we really wanted Collaros, but we did get our second choice, plan b. They will package it so one can infer, assume, that it was one of our option plan A's they had in place. Suttle yet effective difference to ensure their fans don't interpret it as we got our third choice! They have to market it that way, it's a business.

Also interesting is:

So that's twice in a row that a QB didn't even bother to look here in Winnipeg.

Maybe we need to find someone who's family is from North Dakota.

:D

Players are neither fans or completely loyal to an organization. People need to realize that and realize they make decisions for their own reasons are for what they believe best suits them. Sometimes pure greed and cash, sometimes geography, sometimes perceived playtime , sometimes the stability and structure in an organization. Whatever the reason or reasons so be it.

Meh. Burris and willy would be a great plan B.. Burris and hall or willy and hall decent enough option c..

Shame we missed out on zach collaros but dems the breaks.. Hope he flounders and we crush him this season is the best we can hope for now, lol

I'm not even going to pretend I can like this.

All I will say is that it must suck for Kyle Walters knowing that he needs to rebuild such a garbage dump and he has to deal with our reputation making it difficult to bring guys in.

Unless he actually just didn't go all out for Collaros. In which case, **** right off. :(

More like **** Austin.

I also wonder how much our OL factored into this decision. Our offense doesn't have a pocket, it has a killing floor.

I dunno I think Burris can make an o-line look better than they are, one of the things he does do well is avoid pressure in the pocket and buy time. Think of how many times you remember thinking that the Bombers should have had Burris sacked in the pocket but he managed to slip away... That's his real strength as a qb, forget the arm, he's an elusive player, that's what lets him put up the numbers he does.

And so begins the jumping on the Burris bandwagon by 17.... I never thought that I would see this day :)

We should be very excited we will be getting one of the best QBs in the CFL. The Bombers are now in the playoff conversation, assuming Burris signs.

Based on what? He was at the helm of a team that won six games in 2012. Granted Hamilton's defence was terrible that year, but right now ours isn't much better.

We should be very excited we will be getting one of the best QBs in the CFL. The Bombers are now in the playoff conversation, assuming Burris signs.

Based on what? He was at the helm of a team that won six games in 2012. Granted Hamilton's defence was terrible that year, but right now ours isn't much better.

Compared to the Ticats D in 2012? Our D is light years ahead of that train wreck.

image.png

I also wonder how much our OL factored into this decision. Our offense doesn't have a pocket, it has a killing floor.

And so begins the jumping on the Burris bandwagon by 17.... I never thought that I would see this day :)

this'll be even better than when Bomber fans had to cheer for Bishop!  :lol:

Compared to the Ticats D in 2012? Our D is light years ahead of that train wreck.

image.png

Really? Whatever you're smoking I want. Our defence this past season is a group that allowed 585 points last year (Hamilton allowed 576 in 2012), had no single player with more than two interceptions last year, and had a stretch of three weeks (weeks three through five to be exact) where they allowed over 1000 passing yards, had seven touchdown passes against, 0 picks, and QB's had a completion percentage of 85.7 per cent. Lay off on the blue and gold kool-aid sport.

If Walters could pull off Burris AND Willy, I will be very impressed.

Instant QB upgrade this year (Henry's last) and a very promising young guy getting reps. 

If we can Henoc too, even better, though I can't wait to see Etchasketch playing him at rush end. 

Rush end? He's a natural safety in Etch's twisted defense.

image.png

Really? Whatever you're smoking I want. Our defence this past season is a group that allowed 585 points last year (Hamilton allowed 576 in 2012), had no single player with more than two interceptions last year, and had a stretch of three weeks (weeks three through five to be exact) where they allowed over 1000 passing yards, had seven touchdown passes against, 0 picks, and QB's had a completion percentage of 85.7 per cent. Lay off on the blue and gold kool-aid sport.

And made Bo Levi Mitchell look like Bo Levi Montana in his first CFL start.

If Walters could pull off Burris AND Willy, I will be very impressed.

Instant QB upgrade this year (Henry's last) and a very promising young guy getting reps. 

If we can Henoc too, even better, though I can't wait to see Etchasketch playing him at rush end. 

Rush end? He's a natural safety in Etch's twisted defense.

Don't be silly, our safety spot in Etch's defense was firmed up the moment we extended Bryant Turner.

While I disagree with your opinion on the two defenses, I have to respect your references to drugs & kool-aid to make your point. And who doesn't like a catchy nickname like "sport".