Collaros Released, Signs With Hamilton

Jpan85

Well I still recall reading he made ~$400k as starter last season.

So you figure it's accurate that he made roughly 100k a start?

I don't have any sources to verify anything but logic dictates that Troy Smith probably has a contract in the range of typical backup wages.

That number may have been prorated over starting 18 games.

Who's to say that Glenn would automatically be number 1 ?

Look I'm not opposed to Collaros coming here, but to think that Winnipeg is his only option is a bit ridiculous, none of us really know what other teams think of him.

because Ottawa took Demarco as a backup.... pretty obvious that's what they're planning on going with for their qbs. Oh sure they'll likely put in a call to Collaros but let's be honest, when the guy looks around the league for places he might start Ottawa isn't going to be there. Hamilton if they move on from Burris, Winnipeg or maybe Montreal depending on what they think of the guys they have now are the only real options where it might be a possibility. 

Just because someone was picked in the expansion draft doesn't necessarily mean that he's going to make the team. Desjardins stated that they wanted to avoid taking potential FA's, even to go on to state that pretty much the only reason they selected Kohlert from us, was because there wasn't much to choose from in Winnipeg. Again I'm not stating that it's guaranteed that Ottawa will look at Collaros, just saying that it is a possibility. As of right now it seems that Hamilton and Winnipeg are the only ones trying to bring in Collaros, other teams could get involved though who knows. 

But that's the point, they can get involved if they want but why is Collaros going to give them the same interest? He looks there and sees Glenn and Demarco to compete with, he looks at Winnipeg and sees a team that will basically give him the job, he looks at Hamilton and sees the same. THAT is what matters here. 

But that's the point, they can get involved if they want but why is Collaros going to give them the same interest? He looks there and sees Glenn and Demarco to compete with, he looks at Winnipeg and sees a team that will basically give him the job, he looks at Hamilton and sees the same. THAT is what matters here. 

I will agree that Winnipeg and Hamilton look like better options because there is less to no competition for the #1 spot, but if I was Collaros I wouldn't be worried about Demarco. Glenn could be competition at least for another year or two maybe, but I could see Collaros also winning the job over Glenn. Ultimately it seems as though Collaros wants starters money and to be the starter, so yes Hamilton and Winnipeg are his best options, I'd put Hamilton ahead of Winnipeg mainly due to Winnipeg being in full rebuild mode and Hamilton coming off a Grey Cup appearance and looks to be on the rise. This whole time all I've been saying is that Collaros to Winnipeg is not automatic, I pointed out Hamilton going after him early on and was laughed at basically, but look what's happening now.

If people were to look at the situation objectively, would you choose Hamilton or Winnipeg ?

I will agree that Winnipeg and Hamilton look like better options because there is less to no competition for the #1 spot, but if I was Collaros I wouldn't be worried about Demarco. Glenn could be competition at least for another year or two maybe, but I could see Collaros also winning the job over Glenn. Ultimately it seems as though Collaros wants starters money and to be the starter, so yes Hamilton and Winnipeg are his best options, I'd put Hamilton ahead of Winnipeg mainly due to Winnipeg being in full rebuild mode and Hamilton coming off a Grey Cup appearance and looks to be on the rise. This whole time all I've been saying is that Collaros to Winnipeg is not automatic, I pointed out Hamilton going after him early on and was laughed at basically, but look what's happening now.

If people were to look at the situation objectively, would you choose Hamilton or Winnipeg ?

ehh the only people who laughed were the ones who thought there was no way that Hamilton would just up and dump burris. Most reasonable people knew it was a possibility. Don't blow things out of proportion. 

ehh the only people who laughed were the ones who thought there was no way that Hamilton would just up and dump burris. Most reasonable people knew it was a possibility. Don't blow things out of proportion. 

Didn't realize that I was, I just pointed it out.

Well I still recall reading he made ~$400k as starter last season.

Guess we'll find out if the CFL fines the Als and take away their 1st round pick.

They have way too many veterans making big dough to fit that in while staying under the SMS limit.

Remember Calvillo was on the 9 game IR so his salary during those 9 games doesn't count against the cap.

@garylawless: Hearing both #bombers and @Ticats have put legit starting QB money in front of Zach Collaros. He's got a choice to make. #bn #cfl

I still think we have a shot. He's obviously not opposed to coming here.

Agreed, but if the money is equal, you have to think he chooses Hamilton due to their season they had last year compared to ours.  I'm not trying to be negative, but that really seems like the only realistic viewpoint.  If we're going to get Collaros, we're going to have to beat Hamilton's offer, and probably by a decent amount.

As for Burris, what does Hamilton do now if they lose out on Collaros?  Kinda awkward to bring back Burris now.

Wade is going to throw in free Booster juice under the table and Dieter Brock sent a  video extolling the new and improved zoo.

This thread is kind of sad....

People actually thought Troy Smith made 500 000 for half a season of work??? Reallllly??

People think that Burris and Hamilton wouldn't work things out because of awkwardness from them pursuing Collaros?

You think Burris would turn down a 300 000 contract because of hurt feelings?

People think Collaros gives a crap about playing in an unfinished stadium for one season?

People think an expansion team would burn starter salary on two guys while also having a this stringer who stated a bunch of game last season and that Collaros would sign with a team with the highest is of him not getting the starter job and all that bonus incentive money??? Same goes for Montreal where they have three guys who had success starting last year.

This thread is the kind of crap usually on rider fans.

Collaros is going to Hamilton or Winnipeg or NFL and that's it.

It'll be for whoever offers the most guaranteed money.

If Winnipeg throws more cash on the table then that will trump any other crap reasons people are coming up with

Not so fast...If Collaros and Burris sign in Hamilton and Winnipeg, Will could very well re-Sign with the Riders, or follow Khari to Bc, or the Argos for the big money they were throwing at Collaros to stay. If Willy is going to be a back up wherever he goes there will be 7-8teams could possible be in the running.