GDT 3 pm: Victory Day

After sleeping on it and taking a step back, 

Strev. got comfortable, took a couple hits and seemed to find his groove-this is a very good sign

The O-line struggled-but with it being televised...sort of...and all the rotation I could not pin point anything good or bad honestly

Receivers, again hard to really judge, Strev didn't push the ball, and until Wilson got into a late game groove, our passing game was abysmal-Adams led the team I believe, our top draft pick scored, and red shoes had a couple nice grabs

RB, looks like we have a great depth behind BO, perhaps a missed assignment on blocking-couldn't tell but the Strev. sack may have been a missed block by the RB?

Other QB's-oh boy, the back to back picks, short one hops, balls behind, happy feet......let's hope if they get time in preseason game 2 they look better

D-line-started off great, I think this was a strong point-Schmekel got a ton of play time

LB's Mosses seemed to have "instinct" and was always around the ball when in, would like to see more of him in game 2- Karamoka looked good against back-ups, seemed to play very aggressive

DB's hard to tell, but we gave up some passes against and let some receivers behind us

Kicking, Castillo huge FG, Sheehan seemed to punt more traditional, Maestro didn't do himself any favours

KR- Blackman went the wrong way, Cruickshank to me didn't seem to have "it", one of the returners really attacked the ball and seemed to have speed, but not sure who it was??

Kick coverage-was putrid!

Penalties-far more than I expected

It's preseason, it is what it is, a few good signs IMO but also a few concerning signs I will be watching hard in game 2 namely kick coverage, penalties...on to a long stretch of TC and game 2

Its too bad Rod Black isn't still around if a guy named Moses ends up patrolling the bombers defense. There's a lot of material there. 

I can't imagine Barriere has any way of winning the number 3 job after that game. Both the fact that Wilson looked solid and in control and Barriere while showing some athletic flashes looked rather awful in the the passing game. I would imagine most of next game will be dedicated to getting Zach ready and giving a few extra reps to Streveler.  How much opportunity will Barriere even have to redeem himself?

At this point i think Cruickshank is probably in line for the return job. He didn't do anything on returns but nobody else flew off the page. I love Cruickshank's college highlight package and the bombers used him on offense. He got a sweep and a couple catches. The main separator right now is that he seems to have the potential to do more than just return kicks or at least the bombers seem to think so. 

Chauncy Rivers has to get some credit for making a sack. I like his size and lets face it his number of 56 at that position might be an omen.

In terms of potential dev roster guys i thought Hackett looked pretty good to me if there's still room in the CFL for 5 foot 7 dbs. 

Who is the color guy on that broadcast?  Is it Mullinder?   

That guy needs to get cut ASAP,   I'm only half way through watching the game and what he says on air does not represent what is happening on field at all.  The PBP guy is nearly as bad.

I'm at the part with 52 seconds left in the half where Pipkin runs out of bounds and runs into Jefferson and bounces off of him.   PBP guy says Pipkin was hammered by Jefferson and Mullinder is saying a penalty should be called.   Jefferson didn't lean into him and was standing upright the whole time with Pipkin just scraping by him and falls down on his own.   

Also Mullinder at this point is extremely minimizing the errors of the Rider players almost making excuses or pretending that things didn't happen (i.e. great play by a Bomber or a big error on the Rider).      I.E.  Harris missing Bane by a mile and instead of saying how bad of a pass it was,  Mullinder talks about how great of a training camp they have had so far together.

Also every Rider has had a great training camp,   no rookies have made any mistakes,   no veterans need to look over their shoulders,   Pipkin is amazing because he made a single throw.  

Streveler is a running back only as per Mullinder... he only can run he can't throw,  he is extremely one dimensional. 

Mullinder is basically singing the Lego Movie - Everything is awesome song. 

If I were a Riders fan listening on the radio,  I wouldn't be thrilled because you don't actually get any real feedback on who is performing and who is not. 

16 minutes ago, Brandon said:

If I were a Riders fan listening on the radio,  I wouldn't be thrilled because you don't actually get any real feedback on who is performing and who is not. 

Yes.

That's the way they like it - heads in the sand, thinking they are the flagship franchise and the team to beat.  

Edited by bigg jay

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

Tre Thomas, Ayers, Garbutt, and Rivers especially impressed me yesterday. Small sample size but they balled when the lights were on.

Moses did too...he definately showed he knows whats going on...where to be....what to look for...and made plays and was all over doing it

36 minutes ago, 3rdand1.5 said:

Strev. got comfortable, took a couple hits and seemed to find his groove-this is a very good sign

The O-line struggled-but with it being televised...sort of...and all the rotation I could not pin point anything good or bad honestly

Receivers, again hard to really judge, Strev didn't push the ball, and until Wilson got into a late game groove, our passing game was abysmal-Adams led the team I believe, our top draft pick scored, and red shoes had a couple nice grabs

RB, looks like we have a great depth behind BO, perhaps a missed assignment on blocking-couldn't tell but the Strev. sack may have been a missed block by the RB?

Other QB's-oh boy, the back to back picks, short one hops, balls behind, happy feet......let's hope if they get time in preseason game 2 they look better

D-line-started off great, I think this was a strong point-Schmekel got a ton of play time

LB's Mosses seemed to have "instinct" and was always around the ball when in, would like to see more of him in game 2- Karamoka looked good against back-ups, seemed to play very aggressive

DB's hard to tell, but we gave up some passes against and let some receivers behind us

Kicking, Castillo huge FG, Sheehan seemed to punt more traditional, Maestro didn't do himself any favours

KR- Blackman went the wrong way, Cruickshank to me didn't seem to have "it", one of the returners really attacked the ball and seemed to have speed, but not sure who it was??

It's preseason, it is what it is, a few good signs IMO but also a few concerning signs I will be watching hard in game 2 namely kick coverage, penalties...on to a long stretch of TC and game 2

Chris Smith....Mr Generic....but I would say prob guy on offense with most explosive potential....hope he gets a huge work load against the Stamps

18 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Its too bad Rod Black isn't still around if a guy named Moses ends up patrolling the bombers defense. There's a lot of material there. 

I can't imagine Barriere has any way of winning the number 3 job after that game. Both the fact that Wilson looked solid and in control and Barriere while showing some athletic flashes looked rather awful in the the passing game. I would imagine most of next game will be dedicated to getting Zach ready and giving a few extra reps to Streveler.  How much opportunity will Barriere even have to redeem himself?

At this point i think Cruickshank is probably in line for the return job. He didn't do anything on returns but nobody else flew off the page. I love Cruickshank's college highlight package and the bombers used him on offense. He got a sweep and a couple catches. The main separator right now is that he seems to have the potential to do more than just return kicks or at least the bombers seem to think so. 

Chauncy Rivers has to get some credit for making a sack. I like his size and lets face it his number of 56 at that position might be an omen.

In terms of potential dev roster guys i thought Hackett looked pretty good to me if there's still room in the CFL for 5 foot 7 dbs. 

he actually dissapointed in my opinion....and that was ....dissapointing

1 hour ago, 3rdand1.5 said:

Chris Smith, was unspectacular in the KR/PR but he did field nicely and went downhill every time. I believe that is who you were thinking about. The kick coverage is always lousy in the preseason for all teams that go into the game with the number of rookies that we did. I am not concerned by that, and expected that.

24 minutes ago, Booch said:

Moses did too...he definately showed he knows whats going on...where to be....what to look for...and made plays and was all over doing it

Chris Smith....Mr Generic....but I would say prob guy on offense with most explosive potential....hope he gets a huge work load against the Stamps

he actually dissapointed in my opinion....and that was ....dissapointing

I don't think anyone grabbed the returner spot or can be considered a favorite at this point.

Edited by GCn20

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

That guy needs to get cut ASAP,   I'm only half way through watching the game and what he says on air does not represent what is happening on field at all.  The PBP guy is nearly as bad.

I'm at the part with 52 seconds left in the half where Pipkin runs out of bounds and runs into Jefferson and bounces off of him.   PBP guy says Pipkin was hammered by Jefferson and Mullinder is saying a penalty should be called.   Jefferson didn't lean into him and was standing upright the whole time with Pipkin just scraping by him and falls down on his own.   

Also Mullinder at this point is extremely minimizing the errors of the Rider players almost making excuses or pretending that things didn't happen (i.e. great play by a Bomber or a big error on the Rider).      I.E.  Harris missing Bane by a mile and instead of saying how bad of a pass it was,  Mullinder talks about how great of a training camp they have had so far together.

Also every Rider has had a great training camp,   no rookies have made any mistakes,   no veterans need to look over their shoulders,   Pipkin is amazing because he made a single throw.  

Streveler is a running back only as per Mullinder... he only can run he can't throw,  he is extremely one dimensional. 

Mullinder is basically singing the Lego Movie - Everything is awesome song. 

We should monetize this.

"The Riders are awesome. Everything is cool when you're wearing green."

Now to sit back and wait for the $ to roll in.

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

Chris Smith, was unspectacular in the KR/PR but he did field nicely and went downhill every time. I believe that is who you were thinking about. The kick coverage is always lousy in the preseason for all teams that go into the game with the number of rookies that we did. I am not concerned by that, and expected that.

I don't think anyone grabbed the returner spot or can be considered a favorite at this point.

The Riders had a couple of good looking returners yesterday and unless they move on from Mario Alford, they're likely to be cut loose.

2 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

The Riders had a couple of good looking returners yesterday and unless they move on from Mario Alford, they're likely to be cut loose.

going against our coverage teams tho.....i wouldn't put much stock in that.....If I was to bet who it is....I would say Smith as he a legit swiff army knife ala McRae...only 5x better

Thanks to the guys who clarified Chris Smith. I liked the way he attacked the ball and with speed. 

I mentioned it and Booch went a little more into it, Cruickshank didn't show well. He was too tentative IMO.

I did a rewatch of the Strevy portion of the game, focusing on the line. 

on second watch Wallace was even better than my initial viewing. He was excellent in pass pro and run blocking, moved his man with command and scored two pancakes. He also moved extremely well when pulling and going to the second level. He could start in the league this year. Look forward to seeing if he can keep it up. 

Lofton was more mobile than when he was with us before, but still can’t handle speed off the edge, and would need a vet like paddy next to him to lead in terms of switches, blitz pick ups etc. didn’t move the pile, and his tipping the play was easy to pick up in the first drive. 

Kola was his usual self. Good snaps, struggled with guys on the nose and cross face. Dobson was cruising and mashing. All his snaps looked good too. 

Augustine struggled with picking up the blitz and block/release. 

Strevy also struggled to read blitz pre snap. 

5 minutes ago, 3rdand1.5 said:

Thanks to the guys who clarified Chris Smith. I liked the way he attacked the ball and with speed. 

I mentioned it and Booch went a little more into it, Cruickshank didn't show well. He was too tentative IMO.

Cruickshanks play failing to get out of the end zone was sketchy too. Then he had a miss que on offense late as well. Smith is the front runner imo, both cruickshank and Blackmon are as likely to play the next game as being cut imo

31 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I did a rewatch of the Strevy portion of the game, focusing on the line. 

on second watch Wallace was even better than my initial viewing. He was excellent in pass pro and run blocking, moved his man with command and scored two pancakes. He also moved extremely well when pulling and going to the second level. He could start in the league this year. Look forward to seeing if he can keep it up. 

Lofton was more mobile than when he was with us before, but still can’t handle speed off the edge, and would need a vet like paddy next to him to lead in terms of switches, blitz pick ups etc. didn’t move the pile, and his tipping the play was easy to pick up in the first drive. 

Kola was his usual self. Good snaps, struggled with guys on the nose and cross face. Dobson was cruising and mashing. All his snaps looked good too. 

Augustine struggled with picking up the blitz and block/release. 

Strevy also struggled to read blitz pre snap. 

Cruickshanks play failing to get out of the end zone was sketchy too. Then he had a miss que on offense late as well. Smith is the front runner imo, both cruickshank and Blackmon are as likely to play the next game as being cut imo

I bet one or both could even be cut before next game to be honest

Dobson has progressed bigtime....and Wallace definately didnt look out of place....with Eli..Dobson and Wallace we are well set up for yrs in the middle of the oline....

#2 I think was the best returner to my eye (think that was it, hard to tell based on rider bullshit broadcasting)

Linebackers #55 and 00 stood out to me a d I noticed garbut a lot but really I think every DE made some plays. Really impressed compared to last seasons preseason where no-one really stood out. 

Offense what can you say, Barriere looked like an over his head rookie. Might be worth some time on a pr but he wasn't ready, Wilson was more ready but collaros and streveler will carry the load just fine. 

Ol too hard for me to say but they seemed fine early and more confusion happens later with more subs, go figure. 

Receivers hard to tell given the qbing was so awful but not augustine Mitchell had some good grabs and my christ is clercius a big target. Man oh man I like already.

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

I bet one or both could even be cut before next game to be honest

Dobson has progressed bigtime....and Wallace definately didnt look out of place....with Eli..Dobson and Wallace we are well set up for yrs in the middle of the oline....

Yeah. Personally I’d cut one and bring in one or two new kr guys. They did catch the ball. And only one made a bad mental mistake.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we do a small to medium round of cuts this week. We usually do this to prioritize getting reps for guys who are at the forefront of positional battles and to bring in new guys. 

such a great group of young talented earth movers inside. If neuf isn’t good to go I would’ve started 3 imp ol before that game. Right now Wallace would be more than fine to start. If he keeps it up teams are gonna be kicking them self for passing on him. 
 Yeah Dobson looks a bit more trim and just looked comfortable. Which let him play with that aggression he brought in college. 
 The stadium is gonna be the original pancake house with the next generation of ol we have. 

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

#2 I think was the best returner to my eye (think that was it, hard to tell based on rider bullshit broadcasting)

Linebackers #55 and 00 stood out to me a d I noticed garbut a lot but really I think every DE made some plays. Really impressed compared to last seasons preseason where no-one really stood out. 

Offense what can you say, Barriere looked like an over his head rookie. Might be worth some time on a pr but he wasn't ready, Wilson was more ready but collaros and streveler will carry the load just fine. 

Ol too hard for me to say but they seemed fine early and more confusion happens later with more subs, go figure. 

Receivers hard to tell given the qbing was so awful but not augustine Mitchell had some good grabs and my christ is clercius a big target. Man oh man I like already.

agree....thing with Garbutt....he made plays yup...but watch his technique...his burst...first move....very well coached/trained edge guy....perfecr body type to compliment WJ on other side too

Baffles the mind why neither were slotted in mid -season last yr....a case of Walker...all be it decent, and adequate...was here first...so as you could see in camp was the defacto starter regardless of who jumped out, as he was outplayed by others, but tenure secured his spot....DE...well we rolled with a useless draft pick and the desire to play a coache's fav at FB....imagine where both would be at..Habba too with a dozen or so games under their belt and some play-off experience....

24 minutes ago, Booch said:

agree....thing with Garbutt....he made plays yup...but watch his technique...his burst...first move....very well coached/trained edge guy....perfecr body type to compliment WJ on other side too

Yeah with him it wasn't the stats that caught my eye, he just seemed to always be in the mix. I was sold based on his one game last year but this just further cemented it.

22 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Looked like cover 2 with Kelly off to the side. But hard to tell with stadium cam

Fox and Lawson look real good side by side. Petrishen playing fast so far. 

Looked more like cover 3, I think Hallett (safety) was deep middle.  The two defensive halfbacks (Kelley on the fieldside and the American on the boundary), looked to close together.  No idea which defensive halfback was responsible for Bane?

2 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Kody Kase just looks like a CFL slot receiver. On the sight test, he did not get many balls. Stevler looks like he has improved with increased NFL coaching. His release looks a lot quicker.

I thought his ball placement was really good as well compared to 2019. Granted it was all short game stuff but he was zipping it into some tight windows.