Free Agency Day - Non-Bombers CFL News

They all are mid tier right now...until proven otherwise...2 guys had career yrs last yr...is that the norm....or the anomaly...we shall see but I do like Emilus...and he prob will bolt there next yr I bet

Lenius has done nothing...cant stay healthy...and isn't a game changer for a big bodied guy...KSB as well...tsn and suitor creamed their dungarees over him for a few good games and plays...but inconsistent...not a good pure receiver and almost seems to loaf at times

I wouldn't take any of them over our guys..only Emilus to fill in the 5th slot but if he was to play the role Sheed did I don't know if he could 

26 minutes ago, Mike said:

Are we really pretending Emilus isn’t a great receiver? Better season numbers wise than Demski, catching passes from Rainbow Jake. If we had a 2nd year Canadian breaking 1000 yards with a backup QB throwing the majority of the passes, we’d be going nuts over him. 

I know a lot of the Riders numbers were garbage time numbers, but Emilus had a lot of early game impact. Real big fan of his.

Great? Like upper tier? 

I wouldn’t put him there. 

5 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Great? Like upper tier? 

I wouldn’t put him there. 

Great like I’d probably put him top 12 in the league.

Schoen, Lawler, Begelton, White, Hatcher, Hollins, Lewis, Demski, Bane, Rhymes … 

Then you get into the next tier of guys like Hardy, Emilus, Acklin, Snead, Coxie, Gittens, Julien-Grant, Godwin … probably forgetting a few but I’d say Emilus/Coxie/Godwin/Snead at the top of that list. 

Easy for us to not notice, but the league is pretty receiver poor right now.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Schoen, Lawler, Begelton, White, Hatcher, Hollins, Lewis, Demski, Bane, Rhymes … 

Then you get into the next tier of guys like Hardy, Emilus, Acklin, Snead, Coxie, Gittens, Julien-Grant, Godwin … probably forgetting a few but I’d say Emilus/Coxie/Godwin/Snead at the top of that list. 

We’ve seen a ton of turn over in the top 2 wr tiers the last couple years. 
 Teams seldom fit their offence to their pieces these days. It makes for a low floor but a high ceiling for new guys. 
 The homogenization of systems has teams looking for the same guys and taking less chances and more talented/athletic guys. Kenny lawler excels on polished skills, football iq, and effort with a great frame to boot. The Tim whites are the rare exceptions in the league now. With the hash change we haven’t seen more dynamic screen / catch and run type stuff, but we see more high percentage medium depth outs, ins, seam busters, and rub routes. 

how many guys are in the league that you’d be comfortable taking a deep 50/50 ball in the clutch? Lots. Every team has more than one on average. How many guys are that twitchy speedy dangerous type that can take any catch for a score? Not many. 

wr is the least of all concerns for the riders. 

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I can think of 10 guys I would rather have than Emilus. That takes him out of the top tier imo. I don't see a team where he is clear cut number 1..well at least last year. This year who knows?  IMO, Top tier is your top 5-8 in your position group to be considered top tier. I don't have Emilus there.

Edited by GCn20

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Are we really pretending Emilus isn’t a great receiver? Better season numbers wise than Demski, catching passes from Rainbow Jake. If we had a 2nd year Canadian breaking 1000 yards with a backup QB throwing the majority of the passes, we’d be going nuts over him. 
I know a lot of the Riders numbers were garbage time numbers, but Emilus had a lot of early game impact. Real big fan of his.

This is what I'm saying... people pretending like those guys are mediocre and C level players really makes this site feel like riderfans.com     

4 hours ago, Mike said:

Thats fair I guess if that’s your grouping. 

I think Lawler, Scheon and Lewis are significantly better than the rest of those guys. So my personal tier would end there. 

edit: I’m really on the fence as to whether I think White belongs with the other guys. I’d side with “no” because I’m on the fence. 

Edited by Geebrr

3 hours ago, GCn20 said:

I can think of 10 guys I would rather have than Emilus. That takes him out of the top tier imo. I don't see a team where he is clear cut number 1..well at least last year. This year who knows?  IMO, Top tier is your top 5-8 in your position group to be considered top tier. I don't have Emilus there.

28 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Thats fair I guess if that’s your grouping. 

I think Lawler, Scheon and Lewis are significantly better than the rest of those guys. So my personal tier would end there. 

edit: I’m really on the fence as to whether I think White belongs with the other guys. I’d side with “no” because I’m on the fence. 

I agree with this. The elite tier is those 3. Second tier is divisional All-Star quality guys.

top tier, lawler schoen Lewis  

2nd tier white hatcher Demski hardy (Demski is in this tier as much due to his diverse dynamic useages and elite blocking) 

3rd bane emelius Hollins begelton Daniel’s 

but despite that I’d take the risk on guys like Mcinnis Coxie Snead cottoy hollins bane and emelius over guys like begelton and Daniel’s based on upside and ability to move up. The performances the riders WRs put up with the corpse of Harris and a bunch of qb3s is impressive. If any of those guys took baileys spot and last years reps they’d be in the 2nd tier easy. 

Stats and crap are fun and nice...but the stat that is the indicator of who houses the elite talent...and team...51-17...

And if we didnt pooch last two playoffs...be running back a chance for 5

I don't care about a lower level team who runs a couple mid tier receivers out there who had 1000 yards when they won 6 games...

16 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

The guy has been garbage the past two years. They're not getting a bargain. 

Yeah it seems like Jake has fallen off a cliff.....When he was catching everything thrown his way with the Als. and when he left, his game went into the toilet....Hard to figure 

39 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Yeah it seems like Jake has fallen off a cliff.....When he was catching everything thrown his way with the Als. and when he left, his game went into the toilet....Hard to figure 

His first down year came in an Als uni. He was a deep/red zone threat that teams seem to have figured out....? I don't know. But he has been able to reproduce.

16 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

His first down year came in an Als uni. He was a deep/red zone threat that teams seem to have figured out....? I don't know. But he has been able to reproduce.

Wieneke is not that fast, so don't think he was ever much of a deep threat, maybe his skill was finding the open spots.

3 hours ago, JCon said:

Jake Wieneke is still out there, right? Someone is going to get a bargain. 

Agree. Excellent low risk high reward guy. Lucky too. If grant doesn’t come back I’d take a look at lucky cheap as a last wr and kr. 

11 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Wieneke is not that fast, so don't think he was ever much of a deep threat, maybe his skill was finding the open spots.

He’s a down field possession wr. Similar to Kenny lawler. Relies on getting open by route running, pattern tree/play design. And with his hands / frame doesn’t need a ton of separation. 

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

The guy has been garbage the past two years. They're not getting a bargain. 

To be fair, Zach was bad for longer before we got him. That’s why he’s a good value proposition if he’s reasonably priced. 

2 hours ago, Booch said:

Stats and crap are fun and nice...but the stat that is the indicator of who houses the elite talent...and team...51-17...

And if we didnt pooch last two playoffs...be running back a chance for 5

I don't care about a lower level team who runs a couple mid tier receivers out there who had 1000 yards when they won 6 games...

As long as they keep building the way they are ssk isn’t going to be a team to worry about. 
 That will drive me crazy for the rest of my days. We should be about to go after Edmonton’s 5peat. A fist full of single factors and or people could’ve flipped the last two gcs for us. 

I wonder if we see the xfl 5.0 poach some of the remaining guys like lucky, grant, weinke, white etc. 

49 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

To be fair, Zach was bad for longer before we got him. That’s why he’s a good value proposition if he’s reasonably priced. 

As long as they keep building the way they are ssk isn’t going to be a team to worry about. 
 That will drive me crazy for the rest of my days. We should be about to go after Edmonton’s 5peat. A fist full of single factors and or people could’ve flipped the last two gcs for us. 

I wonder if we see the xfl 5.0 poach some of the remaining guys like lucky, grant, weinke, white etc. 

Yup...the last 2 cups will irritate me till I die...we threw 2 away which we totally could have locked down. Gut instinct this off-season is a lesson learned was realized..finally...now hopefully all the lessons were absorbed fully

33 minutes ago, Booch said:

Yup...the last 2 cups will irritate me till I die...we threw 2 away which we totally could have locked down. Gut instinct this off-season is a lesson learned was realized..finally...now hopefully all the lessons were absorbed fully

Never should have lost them...We were the superior team....just not on that day...All kinds of factors go into that, and that has been discussed over and over again , like we're on a never ending search for what went wrong...I think we have a good idea why we didn't notch that last one, and it seems we actually maybe on the way to correcting things..................................hopefully

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

To be fair, Collaros was a legitimate CFL star for multiple years before his play declined initially.

Wieneke has followed his one successful season with 2 consecutive down years. I'm not saying he's not a CFLer anymore. I'm saying league min would be fair and not a bargain. 

3 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

To be fair, Collaros was a legitimate CFL star for multiple years before his play declined initially.

Wieneke has followed his one successful season with 2 consecutive down years. I'm not saying he's not a CFLer anymore. I'm saying league min would be fair and not a bargain. 

There are an endless amount of guys who can do what he does. 

He doesn’t bring anything special.