2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

3 hours ago, Tracker said:

BC Lions have great expectorations of him.

The lions are experts at picking through our ol left overs lol. The riders are expertly bad at it. 

Ringmaiden has contributed a ton of talent scouting and managing. And doman has been great as an owner. But the lions are still building a team that keeps getting worse on the field and in culture. I feel like change is gonna be brewing for them as soon as they dip in performance. 

interesting... Dave's been working for a station out of Saskatoon... I have some buddies working there. AM Country station, primarily, with a particular focus on news and sports. Dunk, I thought, was based in Ontario. Not sure if he's moving to The Gap, or just going to fly to various games or what... but it's a young duo that's clearly very passionate about the CFL... so that's a good thing. It's going to likely be a much more professional broadcast going forward, at the very worst. 

5 minutes ago, Noeller said:

interesting... Dave's been working for a station out of Saskatoon... I have some buddies working there. AM Country station, primarily, with a particular focus on news and sports. Dunk, I thought, was based in Ontario. Not sure if he's moving to The Gap, or just going to fly to various games or what... but it's a young duo that's clearly very passionate about the CFL... so that's a good thing. It's going to likely be a much more professional broadcast going forward, at the very worst. 

Infinitely better that Ball. INFINITELY. Mind you that might be the lowest bar of all radio broadcasting history.

9 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Wonder if he'll have time to continue on with 3DN, from appearances it looks like he owns it.

I wonder if Dunk steps back from 3DN. Covering a team you now work for could be a bit of an issue.

In other news:

Lemon retires and new detailed Chad Kelly allegations.

https://3downnation.com/2024/04/10/going-out-a-champion-dl-shawn-lemon-retires-from-cfl/

https://3downnation.com/2024/04/10/lawsuit-against-chad-kelly-argos-includes-new-sexual-harassment-claims/

8 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

I wonder if Dunk steps back from 3DN. Covering a team you now work for could be a bit of an issue.

In other news:

https://3downnation.com/2024/04/10/going-out-a-champion-dl-shawn-lemon-retires-from-cfl/

https://3downnation.com/2024/04/10/lawsuit-against-chad-kelly-argos-includes-new-sexual-harassment-claims/

In other news, Argo's suck, CK not a guy I would like representing an organization I love and adore but hey I just live in an echo chamber not willing to listen to the one argo fan's 'perspective'.

33 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

In other news:

Idk, I feel like 3dn is mostly populated by employed homers. 

22 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

In other news, Argo's suck, CK not a guy I would like representing an organization I love and adore but hey I just live in an echo chamber not willing to listen to the one argo fan's 'perspective'.

The news just keeps getting deeper about Kelly. I suspect more remains as both sides play for leverage. 
 If they do have any big bombs to drop, I would expect them early in camp. 

Chad sounds like the stereotypically "Chad".   

That being said as annoying and stupid as he is,  I don't see enough based on what is written in the article to throw the books at the guy.  Sounds like a cocky athlete with a bruised ego who threw a hissy fit.     While embarrassing ,  it's not criminal.       

11 minutes ago, Brandon said:

That being said as annoying and stupid as he is,  I don't see enough based on what is written in the article to throw the books at the guy.  Sounds like a cocky athlete with a bruised ego who threw a hissy fit.     While embarrassing ,  it's not criminal.       

I don't think wrongful dismissal is ever a criminal matter, is it?  

18 minutes ago, Brandon said:

What the actual *uck are you saying here?

Jeebus I hate the internet. Yea I get it, if I don't like it, don't read it. Great, thanks for the advice.

52 minutes ago, Rich said:

No, sexual harassment on the other hand can be but unless news gets a whole lot darker I don’t expect any thing like that to happen. 

I think the league is gonna end up hitting him for 2-4 games, and how he takes that is any one’s guess. Dude could bolt, or just eat it. 
the Argos brass will be interesting though. I think we could see some real heavy punishments handed out to them. 

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Definition of throw the books -  

informal: to punish (someone) as severely as possible

The term doesn't necessarily need to be used in context as a criminal matter.

1 hour ago, HardCoreBlue said:

What the actual *uck are you saying here?

Jeebus I hate the internet. Yea I get it, if I don't like it, don't read it. Great, thanks for the advice.

Are you not familiar with how message boards work and how people voice their opinions?  Did you want to write down a list of what you want to read so that everyone can follow a template?     To dumb it down since you can't comprehend,  I said  Chad is an idiot ,  but being an idiot shouldn't equal him being severely punished either by the league or legally or anywhere based on what has been presented so far.    

I'm no fancy big city lawyer...

Asking a coworker out is not harassment. Repeatedly asking out a coworker out even though they turn you down every time probably wouldn't even qualify without more aggravating factors. It's the "reacting violently" (I assume throwing things or smacking tables, slamming doors, physical intimidation like blocking halls and doorways, that sort of thing... not direct personal violence) and cussing her out in front of other employees/teammates that makes for a hostile work environment and constitutes harassment imo. Should have been handled by the bosses when she came forward to exercise her rights, they could have handled things internally and we never would have heard these accusations. Instead they tried to sweep it under the rug and possibly even retaliated against her by telling her to stay home and then not renewing her contract after years of doing so. AFAIK the Argos weren't obligated to renew her contract but it sure smells like retaliation if up until that point there was no reason to let her walk... if anyone should be looking over his shoulder it's John Murphy and anyone else that knowingly infringed on this woman's right to a harassment-free workplace. Section 7 of the Ontario human rights code is pretty clear and easy to understand. These aren't the old days, people have rights in the workplace and they should be taken seriously, and employers should be held accountable when they infringe upon them, knowingly or not (because they should have known if they didn't)

So this sure sounds like harrassment,  and if this went on  away from the workplace (sounds that way) it also looks like 'stalking' along with the other charges, which any lawyer will run with....Doesn't sound good BUT there has to be the burden of proof/ truth attached to this, which could/might be hard to accomplish...It will all come out in the courts but if anything serious sticks to Chadwick....Pinball better have a backup plan ...that would be very prudent

Edited by Stickem

6 minutes ago, Stickem said:

So this sure sounds like harrassment,  and if this went on  away from the workplace (sounds that way) it also looks like 'stalking' along with the other charges, which any lawyer will run with....Doesn't sound good BUT there has to be the burden of proof/ truth attached to this, which could/might be hard to accomplish...It will all come out in the courts but if anything serious sticks to Chadwick....Pinball better have a backup plan ...that would be very prudent

Burden on proof in a civil case is much lower than a criminal case though and some of the incidents happened in front of other people so, theoretically, there would be witnesses to corroborate her side of things.  Whether or not those people would be willing to attest to what they saw is a different matter though. 

56 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

I'm no fancy big city lawyer...

Asking a coworker out is not harassment. Repeatedly asking out a coworker out even though they turn you down every time probably wouldn't even qualify without more aggravating factors. It's the "reacting violently" (I assume throwing things or smacking tables, slamming doors, physical intimidation like blocking halls and doorways, that sort of thing... not direct personal violence) and cussing her out in front of other employees/teammates that makes for a hostile work environment and constitutes harassment imo. Should have been handled by the bosses when she came forward to exercise her rights, they could have handled things internally and we never would have heard these accusations. Instead they tried to sweep it under the rug and possibly even retaliated against her by telling her to stay home and then not renewing her contract after years of doing so. AFAIK the Argos weren't obligated to renew her contract but it sure smells like retaliation if up until that point there was no reason to let her walk... if anyone should be looking over his shoulder it's John Murphy and anyone else that knowingly infringed on this woman's right to a harassment-free workplace. Section 7 of the Ontario human rights code is pretty clear and easy to understand. These aren't the old days, people have rights in the workplace and they should be taken seriously, and employers should be held accountable when they infringe upon them, knowingly or not (because they should have known if they didn't)

I read the first sentence as images of matlock immediately sprung to mind lol. 

1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

Burden on proof in a civil case is much lower than a criminal case though and some of the incidents happened in front of other people so, theoretically, there would be witnesses to corroborate her side of things.  Whether or not those people would be willing to attest to what they saw is a different matter though. 

Burden of proof is lower - but in most cases - so is the satisfaction with the final outcome.

My takeaways from the latest bit of Argo news to come out;

If what's been described is true sure paints Chad as an immature child that didn't get what they want and lashing out. Fits the MO.

The info clearly ties Pinball as knowing what was going on. If true I don't think it's only John Murphy that has to have a CYA plan. Murphy may be the fall guy, but as I've said before, the actions and inactions of the employer in this case are as significant as the harassing actions itself.

3 hours ago, wbbfan said:

This is a great point. Honestly the sum she’s suing for is soo relatively small I’m surprised mlse didn’t just write a cheque and slap a gag order on this. 

Most of what people receive in a final judgement, is usually spent on legal fees.  Unless they settle, as you described. Litigation is not the win people think it is. 

45 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Most of what people receive in a final judgement, is usually spent on legal fees.  Unless they settle, as you described. Litigation is not the win people think it is. 

In some cases, what people receive in a final judgement that is seen as a win can't be measured purely by money.