2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

On 2024-02-23 at 4:16 PM, WBBFanWest said:

When you have a daughter have to deal with sexual violence,

And when you have a son whose reputation and career options are torpedoed from a false allegation perhaps you'll understand why rushing to judgement can be ill advised. In that case, even when proven false, the damage is irreparable.

On 2024-02-24 at 9:50 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

Just for the sake of argument, What if the allegations by this coach are found to be not true & the Argos had already tossed Kelly on heresay to placate the fans of other teams calling for his blood. MLSE would be dragged into court & sued for millions of dollars in damages by Kelly. And while it's true MLSE has hundreds of millions of dollars that any judgement found against it would be but a pittance, the damage to the brand would be far, far worse. Let's see what the CFL does about this. 

I'm not taking Kelly's side. I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here for the sake of discussion. 

Ask Shawn Oakman what that's like.

11 hours ago, Goalie said:

Hopefully Sheed got more than what he got last year. 

Didn't see that signing coming. Thought that we may have brought Cam Phillips back. Bailey will look good with Daniels, Coxie, Brissett & Nield.

(and with 21 DBs under contract according to our roster page, I guess I'll give up hope on re-signing Robertson Daniel now)

43 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Argos/Bombers imo are neck and neck for best scouting in the league, and as much as I hate to say it, Toronto’s actually done better than us there over the last 2 years. 

TBF, some of their players weren't actually scouted by them.  Stiggers, for example, was not discovered by their scouts. He happened to play in the Fan Controlled league for an old Argo Assistant (John Jenkins) who told Toronto about him.  I'm sure this happens for every team to some extent though - you're not going to be able to see everyone so it pays to have connections.

20 hours ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

That would be cool.

I have met many rider fans and everyone of them good folk who are awesome fans of their team and the CFL in general. This is why I take umbrage when people make sweeping statements about a fanbase.  

That's fair.

18 hours ago, bluto said:

Particularly because this isn't a criminal matter...

THIS isn't...however if we take a walk down the Chad Kelly memory lane... I told you last year this was an inevitability with Kelly. You scoffed and called him a consummate team mate or something like that. That crow tasting good?

Edited by GCn20

2 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Argos/Bombers imo are neck and neck for best scouting in the league, and as much as I hate to say it, Toronto’s actually done better than us there over the last 2 years. 

Jim Barker isn't there anymore though. He was a big reason for their scouting success. Barker got to pour over Murphy's database. I am glad those two are not in the front office together anymore. Murphy looks under every rock, and Barker has the knack for finding the best of the lot.

1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

TBF, some of their players weren't actually scouted by them.  Stiggers, for example, was not discovered by their scouts. He happened to play in the Fan Controlled league for an old Argo Assistant (John Jenkins) who told Toronto about him.  I'm sure this happens for every team to some extent though - you're not going to be able to see everyone so it pays to have connections.

Yea...Jim Barker's old buddy came through.

Edited by GCn20

Really depends on what you need, if you wanna talk scouting.

Bombers and Argos scouting staff both seem to have an incredible handle on finding defensive backs and offensive linemen. Argos seem to find guys to play all over in the box, Bombers have had great success finding interior linemen. Rigmaiden finds more receivers than anyone league-wide (could be wrong but I think I remember being told Schoen was his add to the neg list too) and it seems like the Bombers have figured out a pretty good recipe for finding the CFL style quarterbacks.

15 minutes ago, Mike said:

Bombers and Argos scouting staff both seem to have an incredible handle on finding defensive backs and offensive linemen. Argos seem to find guys to play all over in the box, Bombers have had great success finding interior linemen. Rigmaiden finds more receivers than anyone league-wide (could be wrong but I think I remember being told Schoen was his add to the neg list too) and it seems like the Bombers have figured out a pretty good recipe for finding the CFL style quarterbacks.

Mistaken on Schoen. He was found, almost accidentally, by McManus. Was never on our neg list until after McManus scouted him. However, yes, Rigmaiden does know receivers for sure. Wish he was still one of our scouts.

EDIT: Just found an article that indicates McManus had him on his radar prior to the KC camp, even though he was there scouting someone else, he decided to also have a look at Schoen at the same time. Was intrigued and an ex-team mate of his Tom Terry was a position coach at KC and McManus grilled him about Schoen to confirm what he was thinking. I am not sure if he was ever on a neg list or not, or if Rigmaiden brought him to the Bomber's attention. Just that McManus wasn't there to scout him, but saw something interesting in him when he watched him and sent tape to Goveia to analyze and obviously TG saw it too. Might be Rigmaiden that initially scouted him? Don't know...but I think you gotta give that one to McManus.

Edited by GCn20

6 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

That's a rough one for middle school.

Good thing it's not the 80's or he would get one hell of a rough ride. Can't go there nowadays. Ohhh.....the puns would have wrote themselves.

Edited by GCn20

19 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Mistaken on Schoen. He was found, almost accidentally, by McManus. Was never on our neg list until after McManus scouted him. However, yes, Rigmaiden does know receivers for sure. Wish he was still one of our scouts.

EDIT: Just found an article that indicates McManus had him on his radar prior to the KC camp, even though he was there scouting someone else, he decided to also have a look at Schoen at the same time. Was intrigued and an ex-team mate of his Tom Terry was a position coach at KC and McManus grilled him about Schoen to confirm what he was thinking. I am not sure if he was ever on a neg list or not, or if Rigmaiden brought him to the Bomber's attention. Just that McManus wasn't there to scout him, but saw something interesting in him when he watched him and sent tape to Goveia to analyze and obviously TG saw it too. Might be Rigmaiden that initially scouted him? Don't know...but I think you gotta give that one to McManus.

I do remember that article now that you mention it. I stand corrected! 

38 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

THIS isn't...however if we take a walk down the Chad Kelly memory lane... I told you last year this was an inevitability with Kelly. You scoffed and called him a consummate team mate or something like that. That crow tasting good?

Kelly has been conspicuous for his hard work and charitable hours and for the record, I don't recall ever scoffing... but then I don't ever recall attesting to any particular player's sainthood either.

I don't think I'm likely to taste any crow here based on a $50k add-on to a wrongful dismissal suit. But you never know.

Like I said earlier, ask Shawn Oakman about this stuff.

Or, as I trust that most people around here are men of middle age or more, I find it difficult to believe that nobody here has an acquaintance who went through an acrimonious divorce where allegations were made. These things happen in lawsuits. They are common leveraging tools. And the tell is that usually the civil suit is filed and no criminal one is. Because if there's a criminal suit, it always makes the civil one a tap-in. 

42 minutes ago, bluto said:

Kelly has been conspicuous for his hard work and charitable hours and for the record, I don't recall ever scoffing... but then I don't ever recall attesting to any particular player's sainthood either.

I don't think I'm likely to taste any crow here based on a $50k add-on to a wrongful dismissal suit. But you never know.

Like I said earlier, ask Shawn Oakman about this stuff.

Or, as I trust that most people around here are men of middle age or more, I find it difficult to believe that nobody here has an acquaintance who went through an acrimonious divorce where allegations were made. These things happen in lawsuits. They are common leveraging tools. And the tell is that usually the civil suit is filed and no criminal one is. Because if there's a criminal suit, it always makes the civil one a tap-in. 

Workplace sexual harrassment isn't in an of itself criminal, just disgusting behavior of the highest order but you are half right....Kelly's behavior has now become very conspicuous.  I know you wanna hang onto the shred of hope that this is a nothing to see moment in Kelly's career, or even a one off. History has clearly demonstrated this is not the first, and won't be the last time this guy's true character shows up. It really is too bad that a guy with million dollar talent is limited by a 2 cent brain.

21 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Rider Store inundated with jersey orders from Winnipeg.

Not sure I would want to wear a Rider jersey with name on it around Winnipeg. Too many mouth breathers would find that double whammy too enticing to provoke an altercation,

Edited by GCn20

3 hours ago, Mike said:

Schoen was always a Danny McManus special from everything I've read