2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

A lot of football also players enjoy what they do to a point, but their love and passion is for another sport. 
Andrew Harris for example was a hockey player first. 

I just heard an interview with HOF lineman Anthony Munoz, he said his first love was baseball and really only chose football because of his size. 

I’m sure that’s more common than we realize too. 

In any occupation, the amount of people that truly love what they do is smaller than you’d think. It just so happens this is one that we idolize as fans. 

18 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Interesting debate here. Considering the toll that football takes on the body, I would lean more towards guys playing for the $$ and the travel opportunities.

Yeah, you an make practice roster money pretty much anywhere, but entry level contracts are $75 000 ($55 000 USD) for a 6 month season - that's not money you make just anywhere

You have an average 4-5 year career, and putting your body through a meat grinder for that amount may sound like a good deal to those of us who don't do it, but to those that do I guarantee you that the vast majority aren't doing it just for a CFL pay cheque. It's nonsense to suggest that these guys come to the CFL because it represents their best financial opportunity. Take a look at the resumes of a LOT of the players in our league, they are not dummies that are unable to earn a living any other way. Sure you got exceptions to that rule with guys like Nick Marshall etc, but the vast majority of guys in the CFL are coming here to try keep their NFL dream alive and demonstrating a good attitude and a winning attitude is extremely important to those chances.

I can guarantee that the drive to win is one of the top things the Bombers recruiters look at when they go South. I would think that it is important to pretty much every CFL team to varying degrees. 

Edited by GCn20

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

You have an average 4-5 year career, and putting your body through a meat grinder for that amount may sound like a good deal to those of us who don't do it, but to those that do I guarantee you that the vast majority aren't doing it just for a CFL pay cheque. It's nonsense to suggest that these guys come to the CFL because it represents their best financial opportunity. Take a look at the resumes of a LOT of the players in our league, they are not dummies that are unable to earn a living any other way. Sure you got exceptions to that rule with guys like Nick Marshall etc, but the vast majority of guys in the CFL are coming here to try keep their NFL dream alive and demonstrating a good attitude and a winning attitude is extremely important to those chances.

I can guarantee that the drive to win is one of the top things the Bombers recruiters look at when they go South. I would think that it is important to pretty much every CFL team to varying degrees. 

Then our debate is basically a coin flip.

1a) They get paid

1 b) They might keep their NFL dream alive

Yes, both of those require drive and dedication.

2 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Then our debate is basically a coin flip.

1a) They get paid

1 b) They might keep their NFL dream alive

Yes, both of those require drive and dedication.

Ok...that's the point I was trying to make. If you are going to have the drive and dedication, I think it stands to reason you will also try hard to win and that it is an absolutely ridiculous assertion that players feel like the playoffs are unpaid OT and don't care about them. 

3 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Ok...that's the point I was trying to make. If you are going to have the drive and dedication, I think it stands to reason you will also try hard to win and that it is an absolutely ridiculous assertion that players feel like the playoffs are unpaid OT and don't care about them. 

Well, I don't think anyone said the playoffs were 'unpaid' - because playoff money is a thing. 

22 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

With him and Chris Edwards both retiring, that's a big financial hit for the league.  The money the league collected in fines from those two has probably paid for Ambrosie's salary the last few years. 😂

Won't someone think of the charities?!

20 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

If Simoni hadn't cheapshoted ZC in game 1 of 2019, we may never have had ZC and might still be in a cup drought. I for one would like to thank Lawrence for his contribution to Winnipeg Blue Bomber football.

He also completely derailed the Rider franchise by taking ZC out. ZC was finally healthy and who knows what he might have done in Regina that year. However, at the end of the day good riddance to a guy the league should have gotten rid of a long time ago. 

4 hours ago, GCn20 said:

He also completely derailed the Rider franchise by taking ZC out. ZC was finally healthy and who knows what he might have done in Regina that year. However, at the end of the day good riddance to a guy the league should have gotten rid of a long time ago. 

That was 2019, Fajardo led the Riders to a 13-5 record and lost on the last play of the West Finals to a Collaros lead Bomber team.  That was a miracle season for both teams, the wheels started to fall off for the Riders the next off-season.

Just now, Fatty Liver said:

That was 2019, Fajardo led the Riders to a 13-5 record and lost on the last play of the West Finals to a Collaros lead Bomber team.  That was a miracle season for both teams, the wheels started to fall off for the Riders the next off-season.

The wheels fell off when ZC was no longer their QB. Yes, Cody took them to 13-5 but a healthy Collaros all season long may have gotten them a Grey Cup and then we all know what Cody did the year after.

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

The wheels fell off when ZC was no longer their QB. Yes, Cody took them to 13-5 but a healthy Collaros all season long may have gotten them a Grey Cup and then we all know what Cody did the year after.

I actually think they would have likely been bottom feeders had Collaros stayed healthy. Remember that the way he played there is not the same way he's played here. And from his account, it wasn't his choice.

Fajardo was allowed to run around and scramble and play to his strengths. Collaros wasnt necessarily given that freedom.

7 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I actually think they would have likely been bottom feeders had Collaros stayed healthy. Remember that the way he played there is not the same way he's played here. And from his account, it wasn't his choice.

Fajardo was allowed to run around and scramble and play to his strengths. Collaros wasnt necessarily given that freedom.

We will never know for sure, however, Collaros had a fantastic TC that year and looked like he was finally 100% before Simoni turned out the lights. 

54 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

They didn't lose on the last play. They were losing the whole time. They are losers. 

41 minutes ago, JCon said:

They didn't lose on the last play. They were losing the whole time. They are losers. 

Again , people seem to forget that would have tied the game. That and I still think the pass would have been broken up. 

Plus, had Sayles just knocked the ball down like he should have it was drive over a few plays earlier. 

2 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Again , people seem to forget that would have tied the game. That and I still think the pass would have been broken up. 

Plus, had Sayles just knocked the ball down like he should have it was drive over a few plays earlier. 

He really Demerio Houston-ed that one....

that pass was gonna be either picked off, or swatted away....and from height of crossbar....,,trajectory of ball when it hit it and the depth of the receiver I think it was gonna be another classic Faf overthrow anyway.

And likely is Sask fashion even if they made the catch the kicker prob would have missed the convert...which would have been just as fitting and end....losers....just lose...110 yrs of history has defined it

9 minutes ago, Booch said:

that pass was gonna be either picked off, or swatted away....and from height of crossbar....,,trajectory of ball when it hit it and the depth of the receiver I think it was gonna be another classic Faf overthrow anyway.

And likely is Sask fashion even if they made the catch the kicker prob would have missed the convert...which would have been just as fitting and end....losers....just lose...110 yrs of history has defined it

It was an interception almost definitely. The DB was cutting under him and the receiver had made zero effort to come back to the ball to prevent it.

1 hour ago, JCon said:

It's the Rider motto:

Translated from latin this is the Riders motto:

"Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory"

Edited by GCn20

21 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

I don't care what would've happened if the ball hadn't hit the crossbar.... idiots like to say the Bombers got lucky... I say the Riders luck finally ran out... on that final drive there was the Sayles almost pick that would've ended the game... BA almost had a pick that would've ended the game... if Fajardo holds on to that "incomplete" a split second longer, it's a fumble and the game is over... Rider finally stopped fluking that final drive.