2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

2 hours ago, Mike said:

There’s a window for players with non-expiring contracts. Betts had an off-season bonus in his contract, he’s not eligible for that window so until his contract expires, he’s in a holding pattern. 

There’s a bit more to it than that, with the restrictions of “futures” contracts and stuff, but it’s all a complicated mess

I saw he got one before last season - where’d you see that he got one this year? 

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

I hate saying it but Edm definitely got better on paper. Edm and Sask won't be the free space they were past few years. Don't think BC got as good as I'd have figured considering they're hosting this year. 

We'll see what things look like this time next week...

Yeah, both were terrible in the trenches last year - had no where to go but up 

13 hours ago, Noeller said:

It's early in the FA derby yet, but....

I hate saying it but Edm definitely got better on paper. Edm and Sask won't be the free space they were past few years. Don't think BC got as good as I'd have figured considering they're hosting this year. 

We'll see what things look like this time next week...

Edmonton and Hamilton will obviously be better. They've each added 4 Argos. 

Ottawa and Saskatchewan will only be a little better having only added 2.

13 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Holm is in his option year.  He has a window for NFL.

Teams are not going to stand in the way of a pending FA trying to get to the NFL. There is no value in it other than burning any chance you have to re-sign them. 

16 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Teams are not going to stand in the way of a pending FA trying to get to the NFL. There is no value in it other than burning any chance you have to re-sign them. 

Of course they will. Once that window is closed it's closed and you are expected to honor your CFL contract. NFL teams will NOT work out or even talk to a player currently under contract in the CFL except those eligible to do so under CFLPA bargaining. The NFLPA is very protective about that.

Edited by GCn20

23 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Of course they will. Once that window is closed it's closed and you are expected to honor your CFL contract. NFL teams will NOT work out or even talk to a player currently under contract in the CFL except those eligible to do so under CFLPA bargaining. The NFLPA is very protective about that.

He is a pending free agent. His contract expires Tuesday.  This is not an option year window situation. 

Teams release players to sign in the NFL and for good reason. 

We did it with Desjarlais. 

https://globalnews.ca/news/8538218/winnipeg-blue-bombers-release-drew-desjarlais-to-pursue-nfl-job/amp/

Blue Bombers general manager Kyle Walters said Monday that Desjarlais worked out for 12 or 13 different NFL teams over the past month.”

You don't need to release a player to let them tryout for the NFL.

Holm tried out for Denver and Minnesota this year IIRC and did not get let out of his contract because apparently neither team intended to sign him. Now that the window is over, he's back with the team.

Same thing happened with Schoen last year when he did some NFL tryouts. He didn't get released because nobody was signing him. 

Anyway - the main point remains that if he had any interest in the NFL prior to a lukewarm legal tampering period it would have been well known. 

He didn’t. He has a nothing offer to be a camp body and I’m sure a flat offer from a handful of teams that will be available now or later. 

1 hour ago, Geebrr said:

He is a pending free agent. His contract expires Tuesday.  This is not an option year window situation. 

Teams release players to sign in the NFL and for good reason. 

We did it with Desjarlais. 

https://globalnews.ca/news/8538218/winnipeg-blue-bombers-release-drew-desjarlais-to-pursue-nfl-job/amp/

Blue Bombers general manager Kyle Walters said Monday that Desjarlais worked out for 12 or 13 different NFL teams over the past month.”

Thought you were talking about Holm. My bad.

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Hunter signs an extension in Toronto for 275k and 285k for 25/26. Was under for 209k this year. 
 Wwwtttffffff I thought desjarlais deal was high how do you pay a guard that much money? That’s insane.  

You pay a guard that much money because he’s beyond elite and you can pay your import tackles far, far less

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Hunter signs an extension in Toronto for 275k and 285k for 25/26. Was under for 209k this year. 
 Wwwtttffffff I thought desjarlais deal was high how do you pay a guard that much money? That’s insane.  

Extend. Then renegotiate.

Rinse. Repeat.