2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

1 minute ago, bluto said:

That's about 5 veterans with significant contracts who have opted to re-structure this offseason. 

That's likely how we got Wynton McManis back for 2 more years.

(still some very big decisions to go)

Success brings restructuring of contracts. It's never significant but every penny counts.

45 minutes ago, bluto said:

That's about 5 veterans with significant contracts who have opted to re-structure this offseason. 

That's likely how we got Wynton McManis back for 2 more years.

(still some very big decisions to go)

Whattt??? You mean McManis didn't follow Mace to Riderville as the local "insider" over there claimed he was hearing? Wow...color me shocked.

Just now, GCn20 said:

Whattt??? You mean McManis didn't follow Mace to Riderville as the local "insider" over there claimed he was hearing? Wow...color me shocked.

You wont see any significant guys following him there....like why would they?...Just like nobody followed Lapo to Ottawa

Why would a vet guy in peak of his career wanna go to some big unknown, and really Mace hiring and all...still a dumpster fire until proven otherwise?

Only way would be for a huuuuuge over pay, and even then....that limits you to maybe 1 guy...2 tops

That Stronson is such a moron

Edited by Booch

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

You wont see any significant guys following him there....like why would they?...Just like nobody followed Lapo to Ottawa

Why would a vet guy in peak of his career wanna go to some big unknown, and really Mace hiring and all...still a dumpster fire until proven otherwise?

Only way would be for a huuuuuge over pay, and even then....that limits you to maybe 1 guy...2 tops

Others may yet head to the rectangle (or other places).

Consider how any of these names could make an impact for virtually any other team:

Bede. Brissett. Coxie. Daniel. Hendrix. Jones. Leake. Oakman. Ouellette. Peters. Pickett. Richards. Tate.

I trust the group who build our roster to do the right thing for us.. but dang it's going to be a nervy few weeks.

8 minutes ago, Booch said:

Just read his post about the Bombers signing Fine lol. Buck said he liked him, sooo that means they were definitely going to target him in FA lol. He makes statements like that and then gets pissy when others push back..."it was just my thoughts"....yeah well you said it like it was a fact you dumbass.

Just now, Bigblue204 said:

Just read his post about the Bombers signing Fine lol. Buck said he liked him, sooo that means they were definitely going to target him in FA lol. He makes statements like that and then gets pissy when others push back..."it was just my thoughts"....yeah well you said it like it was a fact you dumbass.

Sounds like Stronson.....hahahaha

41 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

I guess those NFL tryouts didn't materialize, he's a CFL lifer now.

Good- the League needs good Qbs. 

38 minutes ago, bluto said:

Others may yet head to the rectangle (or other places).

Consider how any of these names could make an impact for virtually any other team:

Bede. Brissett. Coxie. Daniel. Hendrix. Jones. Leake. Oakman. Ouellette. Peters. Pickett. Richards. Tate.

I trust the group who build our roster to do the right thing for us.. but dang it's going to be a nervy few weeks.

Yeah- I would not be against Walters picking any of these guys up.

12 minutes ago, bustamente said:

I understand the appeal of playing in Toronto it's a great city not my cup of tea, but for me I wanna play in a mostly full building and not in front of barely 10k patrons.

It's fun to play in front of a whole crowd, but I'm sure it's pretty low on the priority list when you're negotiating a contract.

My main concern would be housing. If I'm moving from Edmonton/Regina/Winnipeg to got to Toronto or Vancouver - they better be paying a housing bonus or have some off the books living accomadations.

1 hour ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Carey is a good back likely, has decent wear left, but he’s gonna be 32 this year. He probably gets a contract, but I doubt he goes into camp as a no1 or gets much money. 

It was talked about with Dru but not with Brady. The cfl is pretty set on starting RBs right now. It might really hurt Brady’s draw in free agency. The best shot he has is if some team decides to flip ratio despite having a really good back. Toronto maybe?

5 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Carey is a good back likely, has decent wear left, but he’s gonna be 32 this year. He probably gets a contract, but I doubt he goes into camp as a no1 or gets much money. 

It was talked about with Dru but not with Brady. The cfl is pretty set on starting RBs right now. It might really hurt Brady’s draw in free agency. The best shot he has is if some team decides to flip ratio despite having a really good back. Toronto maybe?

Carey’s gonna give you 6 games at MOP level and either sit/play banged up for the other 12.

As part of a RB committee I think he’d do well here, but not a guy I’d break the bank for

5 hours ago, bustamente said:

The market has seemed to have changed again for starting qbs. The numbers are going down while the salaries for backups seem to be going up. As I said before, I'd like to see Zach restructure to give the Bombers a little more breathing room to sign our key free agent veterans that we truly need. If I know how the GMs in the CFL do business, I'm sure Walters has already approached Zach to restructure his deal.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

The market has changed again for starting qbs. The numbers are going down while the salaries for backups seem to be going up. As I said before, I'd like to see zacjh restructure to give the Bombers a little more breathing room to sign our key free agent veterans that we truly need. If I know how the GMs in the CFL do business, I'm sure Walters has already approached Zach to restructure his deal.

Zach's busy partying it up with Kelce's main squeeze and his missing shirt brother, maybe after this weekend when the Chiefs get booted from the playoffs and Swift boots Kelce to the curb

5 minutes ago, bustamente said:

Zach's busy partying it up with Kelce's main squeeze and his missing shirt brother, maybe after this weekend when the Chiefs get booted from the playoffs and Swift boots Kelce to the curb

Zach's agent does the work & then tells him the numbers & they agree or disagree. then the agent talks to Walters. So,Zach has no worries & can keep partying. You know what? As far as Zach goes, good for him to be in on what's going on. We'd all trade places with him.

12 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Zach's agent does the work & then tells him the numbers & they agree or disagree. then the agent talks to Walters. So,Zach has no worries & can keep partying. You know what? As far as Zach goes, good for him to be in on what's going on. We'd all trade places with him.

I met Taylor Swift before. She’s quite friendly to be honest. When she comes to Winnipeg, she enjoys the Forks quite a bit. Cuz assuming u mean chilling with T Swift. ;) 

Edited by Goalie

7 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I met Taylor Swift before. She’s quite friendly to be honest. When she comes to Winnipeg, she enjoys the Forks quite a bit. Cuz assuming u mean chilling with T Swift. ;) 

You bet. Zach's having a good time & good on him. Could you imagine if an entertainer like Swift was dating a CFL player? The popularity of the league & the eyes on it would explode. The CFL can only wish for the kind of coverage Taylor Swift would give them.

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You bet. Zach's having a good time & good on him. Could you imagine if an entertainer like Swift was dating a CFL player? The popularity of the league & the eyes on it would explode. The CFL can only wish for the kind of coverage Taylor Swift would give them.

Which brings up another question, why doesn't the CFL try to reach out to entertainers & actors to come to their games to be seen & heard? The league has no clue how to do anything to get the crowds back & interest up. Every year, the same damn thing...

Edited by SpeedFlex27

8 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Which brings up another question, why doesn't the CFL try to reach out to entertainers & actors to come to their games to be seen & heard? The league has no clue how to do anything to get the crowds back & interest up. Every year, the same damn thing...

I hate to say this because I'm an old white man. But the old white guys running the league have no clue or refuse to spend any money to grow the CFL. There definitely need an infusion of new blood, new money & new ideas. They've allowed the CFL to atrophy for decades & now it's almost on life support.

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

It's fun to play in front of a whole crowd, but I'm sure it's pretty low on the priority list when you're negotiating a contract.

My main concern would be housing. If I'm moving from Edmonton/Regina/Winnipeg to got to Toronto or Vancouver - they better be paying a housing bonus or have some off the books living accomadations.

Yeah, that sounds great. Go from being married & living in an apartment, condo or actual house in the US with your wife & kids to living in a basement apartment with two other teammates if you're in Vancouver, Calgary or BC. Such is the life of a pro football nomad not playing in the NFL. That would suck.

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Why would the Argos do that? Their ratio is set & Ouelette is exactly the same kind of back as Brady. That & the fact he's probably the best known Argo in a cluelesss city when it comes to the CFL doesn't make it smart to change.

24 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Zach gotta get Taylor and crew to princess auto stadium this year for 1 game. Would be huge. 

Survey says...  Not. A. Chance.

I bet Brady O is driving a hard bargain ...contract wise AND I bet we're prepared to provide him with a good deal....I would only hope that he lessens his expectations about wanting to set a new benchmark for rb's in the league....Looking at some of the other teams 'stars' taking less to make other signings more palatable for their club, says a lot and runs counter to wanting to set a new benchmark for yourself....Will he remain FIFO or will he move on to secure a more lucrative position ??..His choice and I hope he makes the right decision....that to remain in BlueNGold....We should hear something shortly

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The market has seemed to have changed again for starting qbs. The numbers are going down while the salaries for backups seem to be going up. As I said before, I'd like to see Zach restructure to give the Bombers a little more breathing room to sign our key free agent veterans that we truly need. If I know how the GMs in the CFL do business, I'm sure Walters has already approached Zach to restructure his deal.

I would assume Walters took all the money saving loopholes into consideration when negotiating Zach's last contract to get the most mileage out of his dollar.  But maybe there is a way to restructure it further without Zach taking a pay-cut.  If I was Walters I'd play the "save Dalton card".