2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

2 hours ago, greenrider55 said:

Nield was very good to end the year, likely what made Gittens more expendable.

Count me in the group that thinks the Elks win this trade as of now though. Ceresna, while good, I’m not sure has the same value.

I think Ceresna has more on-field value, if you take age and ant status out of the equation. 

And TO must be bracing to lose some DL pieces in FA. I think the trade works for both sides. 

I think the Elks and TO both win this trade for different reasons. The Argos are going to get raided in FA, and won't be able to do much about it due to SMS restraints. Of course, Mace will be spending to get some of his DL guys so Toronto was going to take a hit there. Gittens is the better player, but Ceresna gives them a stud DL under contract for about the same money and TO can watch Hendrix and Oakman go elsewhere. Not buying the cock and bull that Bluto is floating that Gittens was expendable, but there is a cost associated to a guy like Ceresna and Gittens is coming off a bad injury.

Edited by GCn20

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

I think the Elks and TO both win this trade for different reasons. The Argos are going to get raided in FA, and won't be able to do much about it due to SMS restraints. Of course, Mace will be spending to get some of his DL guys so Toronto was going to take a hit there. Gittens is the better player, but Ceresna gives them a stud DL under contract for about the same money and TO can watch Hendrix and Oakman go elsewhere. Not buying the cock and bull that Bluto is floating that Gittens was expendable, but there is a cost associated to a guy like Ceresna and Gittens is coming off a bad injury.

I honestly expected him to be released. Especially after Daniels and Orimolade restructured their contracts, I figured that if KGJ didn't also restructure that he wouldn't be an Argo this season.

Tough choices still to be made... Peters, McManis, Pickett, Hendrix, Ouellette... And naming whoever our replacement for Mace at DC is. 

Edited by bluto

13 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Not sure 2k is all that great of savings.

Ceresna is making $212,000 vs the $210,000 for KGJ (who also is due a $55k bonus in a couple weeks as part of that).

Wow that’s pretty nutty. I wonder if jones knows the bonus is due xD instantly cut. 
 It’s kind of wild the difference in pay between o and d. 

4 hours ago, greenrider55 said:

Nield was very good to end the year, likely what made Gittens more expendable.

Count me in the group that thinks the Elks win this trade as of now though. Ceresna, while good, I’m not sure has the same value.

Certainly easier to find very good imp dl than ni WRs. But man I feel like the dl makes you better. 
 I do have a considerable defensive bias in terms of win share though. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Wow that’s pretty nutty. I wonder if jones knows the bonus is due xD instantly cut. 
 It’s kind of wild the difference in pay between o and d. 

Certainly easier to find very good imp dl than ni WRs. But man I feel like the dl makes you better. 
 I do have a considerable defensive bias in terms of win share though. 

I don’t think it can be disputed anymore that the better defensive team wins 99% of the time. You look at this year’s Eagles, they started 10-0 but everyone knew they couldn’t defend, and it would eventually bite them. They got exposed vs San Fran, and then they fell apart.

As it’s well known here too, an interior DL is wildly underrated to a good D. You can have the best DE in the world, and it won’t matter if your interior guys aren’t doing their thing properly. 

https://3downnation.com/2024/01/15/saskatchewan-roughriders-finalize-coaching-staff-under-corey-mace/

New to the team are receivers coach Marquay McDaniel, offensive line coach Edwin Harrison, pass game coordinator and defensive backs coach Josh Bell, defensive line coach Phillip Daniels, linebackers coach and run game coordinator J.C. Sherritt, defensive assistant Jordan Linnen, and assistant special teams coach Jeff Higgins...

Anthony Vitale, who was Saskatchewan’s offensive line coach a year ago, will now serve as the running backs coach... The group joins Mace, who will also serve as the team’s defensive coordinator, as well as offensive coordinator Marc Mueller and special teams coordinator Kent Maugeri.

The Riders were way overdue for fresh faces. Nice to see JC Sherritt back in the CFL after spending a few years in the NCAA ranks

3 hours ago, bluto said:

I honestly expected him to be released. Especially after Daniels and Orimolade restructured their contracts, I figured that if KGJ didn't also restructure that he wouldn't be an Argo this season.

Tough choices still to be made... Peters, McManis, Pickett, Hendrix, Ouellette... And naming whoever our replacement for Mace at DC is. 

Have the Argos hired a DC yet to replace Mace?

2 hours ago, greenrider55 said:

I don’t think it can be disputed anymore that the better defensive team wins 99% of the time. You look at this year’s Eagles, they started 10-0 but everyone knew they couldn’t defend, and it would eventually bite them. They got exposed vs San Fran, and then they fell apart.

As it’s well known here too, an interior DL is wildly underrated to a good D. You can have the best DE in the world, and it won’t matter if your interior guys aren’t doing their thing properly. 

I agree. Maybe offence gets more money because it does sell more seats. But man some of our best moves going back to the beginning of the mafia is under valued dl pick ups. 

2 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Yup sooner than later it's going to go from 'Hey I was a fan of his father' to 'Crap, I followed his grandfather'.

The last thing I ever want is to sound like IsoSFAl or KBF..... spaghetti monster help us all........

46 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Yup sooner than later it's going to go from 'Hey I was a fan of his father' to 'Crap, I followed his grandfather'.

I wonder who is likely to be that guy for us. Imagine if it’s Gerry James? 3 generations of cfl hof would be insane.