2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all this talk about Hodge's mock draft sucking....... what else did people actually expect? Dunk mock MAYBE.....  but seriously, it's the same thing every year. There are like half a dozen people on this site capable of putting together a mock draft as well or better than Hodge and most of the fan-zine crew....

Not sure I get the vitriol towards 3downnation and John Hodge. We all love the CFL. TSN and Sportsnet barely cover any off season news. Even in season, while broadcasting games, TSN is pretty light on content other than game summary articles. 3downnation has been around since 2015 and overall does a better job than anywhere else with CFL news. cfl.ca is good, and Ed Tait writes some really interesting content on bluebombers.com. But 3downnation is really my first stop to get any CFL content that I'm interested in - signings, draft profiles, USports stuff, CFL players in the NFL ... I like what they do. And I am in no way affiliated or compensated by the 3downnation corporation 😃

2 minutes ago, M.Silverback said:

Not sure I get the vitriol towards 3downnation and John Hodge. We all love the CFL. TSN and Sportsnet barely cover any off season news. Even in season, while broadcasting games, TSN is pretty light on content other than game summary articles. 3downnation has been around since 2015 and overall does a better job than anywhere else with CFL news. cfl.ca is good, and Ed Tait writes some really interesting content on bluebombers.com. But 3downnation is really my first stop to get any CFL content that I'm interested in - signings, draft profiles, USports stuff, CFL players in the NFL ... I like what they do. And I am in no way affiliated or compensated by the 3downnation corporation 😃

cool cool that they cover it.... now do it well. 

2 minutes ago, M.Silverback said:

Providing up to date information is what they do well. But, as soon as they start adding their perspective and opinions, they're exposed as bad amateurs. 

Hodge being one of the worst. 

5 hours ago, wbbfan said:

https://3downnation.com/2024/03/13/john-hodges-2024-cfl-mock-draft-1-0/

Hodges mock draft. I can’t see us taking 2 FBs in the first 3 rounds. But I’d love to get a versatile fb who can block play teams and do some power running. 

I'm going to be very disappointed if we use our 2nd pick on a FB.

54 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

He played all over the place when he wasn't filling in for someone on the DL, they got him on the field a variety of ways. DT/DE, OL, FB. One memorable moment of 2009 was Oos catching the ball in open field for a good 20 yard gain. He played enough snaps at FB to have 2 receiving TDs in his career, that's not nothing. I'm not knocking him, I was a big fan

I know. We're just saying he was drafted as a DL. That he was able to play other positions is a testament to his athletic abilities. But he wasn't a true fullback. Or drafted as one.

57 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I'm going to be very disappointed if we use our 2nd pick on a FB.

Agreed. I love the idea of a FB - old school, neck roll John Riggins type - but in reality, who uses a FB? NFL or CFL? Your best bang for buck in CFL drafting is OL, DL, WR, DB. LB's for some special teams. FB? 

Yeah and his 2 receiving touch downs were at a time when a DL came in as  TE type situation in goal line packages. Plenty of DEs catching endzone passes. More recently they've just used a fullback for those types of situations. 

The cool thing about oosterhuis was that he was the pick we gave up for Doug Brown and wound up with him anyway.

8 minutes ago, M.Silverback said:

Agreed. I love the idea of a FB - old school, neck roll John Riggins type - but in reality, who uses a FB? NFL or CFL? Your best bang for buck in CFL drafting is OL, DL, WR, DB. LB's for some special teams. FB? 

The CFL no longer plays full time fullbacks, neck rolls, snot busting blockers, three yards & a cloud of dust  who rush for 225 yards along with a 2.3 yard rushing average & you have to take out a slot. Maybe a potential thousand yard receiver. That's why the CFL no longer has full time fullbacks. No more Thunder & Lightning combos anymore.

52 minutes ago, M.Silverback said:

I like your comments and agree. Mocks are mocks and in my case I further use them to get myself familiar with the prospects who are available for the year. I do research the current crop of prospects starting in Nov of each year and use the mock(s) as a guide and look to see if I'm way out. In some cases don't agree with the positions/players the Bombers would select as proposed, but still do find/use it as a tool for my purposes. I enjoyed reading/looking at these mocks. Good on the guys who do them!!!!

But, there are a few of the self pro-claimed experts in here and a few others that will band together if self pro-claimed experts are challenged in here. They love to shoot this/these mock(s) down as was the case last year as well. I actually would like to see their mock draft(s) as I asked one of them to provide. 

the thing is, it's not just the mocks.... it's anything from 3DN that isn't just breaking news on Twitter. Anything where they actually have to write a column, comes off like a 16 year old in their basement. We have far better writers with more insight into the CFL on this board....

19 minutes ago, camper_2 said:

I like your comments and agree. Mocks are mocks and in my case I further use them to get myself familiar with the prospects who are available for the year. I do research the current crop of prospects starting in Nov of each year and use the mock(s) as a guide and look to see if I'm way out. In some cases don't agree with the positions/players the Bombers would select as proposed, but still do find/use it as a tool for my purposes. I enjoyed reading/looking at these mocks. Good on the guys who do them!!!!

But, there are a few of the self pro-claimed experts in here and a few others that will band together if self pro-claimed experts are challenged in here. They love to shoot this/these mock(s) down as was the case last year as well. I actually would like to see their mock draft(s) as I asked one of them to provide. 

The difference is we don't go online  with our comments other than here. There are too many fanbois masquerading as actual football journalists at 3DN. It hurts their credibility. They could easily have better writers giving us better content but obviously don't want to pay for it. So, you have guys like Hodge & Ryan Ballantyne doing pieces for them. You get what you pay for.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, M.Silverback said:

NFL useage of FBs is actually at a 20 year peak and has been rising. Montreal used the fb the most in the cfl last year. 

5 hours ago, MOBomberFan said:

Well over 30 years ago, Sean Millington. I suppose Patrick Lavoie panned out well enough for a 2nd round pick. Lots of successful FBs were late picks or undrafted FAs. Recent noteables like Declan Cross, Calvin McCarty, Alexander Dupuis and Milanovic-Litre were 4th rounders, Rob Cote was undrafted. Nikola Kalinic was an early 2nd rounder but of course he has dashed off to the NFL.

I liked Oosterhuis but it's a stretch to say he panned out as a first rounder 8th overall

Almost none of those guys played fullback in U Sports.

That's kind of the point Hodge is missing too.

Teams convert big receivers, tailbacks or guys who played D over.  The guys playing FB in U Sports aren't pro level athletes.

7 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

The idea of us taking a lineman in round 1 and a DL in round 2 works for me but I don't get us taking the rb/fb Hodge suggests. If the draft went they way he did I think we'd go OL going to the US as a futures pick in round 2. The ST in round 3 pick and the rational is laughable.

There's not a lot of futures guys anymore with the eligibility changes and I don't think they'd prefer that anyway.  Our Canadian depth is extremely light right now.  They need to get 4-5 immediate players at least out of this draft...guys who can be on the roster and guys who can fill in off PR.  Otherwise they'll be dumpster diving to backfill the bottom third of the roster.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

I don’t really know who those guys are either but let’s not pretend like putting together a mock draft is rocket science here. MBB should do one cuz we all have the google machine and can look these ppl up. The issue with these mocks is atleast make it make sense. Why didn’t sask go ol in rd 1? Why did Edmonton go receiver If Dublanko is perceived as being a year 1 starting LB. Why is Winnipeg wasting a 2nd pick on a FB when he’s prob available in round 5.  2 fbs in the top 29 was it? Dudes weed is laced with fentanyl. 

Edited by Goalie

6 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I don’t really know who those guys are either but let’s not pretend like putting together a mock draft is rocket science here. MBB should do one cuz we all have the google machine and can look these ppl up. The issue with these mocks is atleast make it make sense. Why didn’t sask go ol in rd 1? Why did Edmonton go receiver If Dublanko is perceived as being a year 1 starting LB. Why is Winnipeg wasting a 2nd pick on a FB when he’s prob available in round 5.  2 fbs in the top 29 was it? Dudes weed is laced with fentanyl. 

The cfl is the hardest league to make a mock draft in, some teams are going to take gambles on nfl guys while others aren’t and some ones gonna do some thing way off board in the first two rounds and you aren’t really sure till late who will actually be available. 
personally I expect the run in ol to happen early. Off set by the ncaa defensive players. I don’t expect to see many WRs or any FBs in the first two rounds. 
 I suspect most of ssk, us, bc, ham and the stamps to go linemen. 

7 hours ago, camper_2 said:

Sure, I’ll put together a mock when it makes sense. Since I know I’m who you’re asking about.

Remember the mock drafts I shot down last year? And how I told you it was a bad draft year? I do. But in case you don’t …

https://3downnation.com/2023/03/09/john-hodges-2023-cfl-mock-draft-1-0/

First overall pick went 16, nailed it. Our first pick at 8 went 20th, nailed it. 10 and 11 (as OL, nonetheless) went 48th and 57th and their situations didn’t change at all. I’m not criticizing his mock draft because he’s a bit off. I criticize it because it’s never even close, because he has no clue.