2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

1 minute ago, johnzo said:

When it's a safety who leads the team in tackles, that is definitely an indicator of something...

It can be, or it can not be. Hefney for instance wasn’t a S, but put up a lot of tackles while being one of the very best dbs in the league. You can’t evaluate tackles in a vacuum. 
 I broke down in depth the difference between awes tackles and biggies tackles last year. Awe put up more tackles head to head, but was making tackles on average almost 10 yards from the line. Where as biggies average depth was under 4. Or like maruo leading us in teams tackles then getting benched for the year. 
 Tackles are the worst individual stat in football and maybe all of sports. 

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

Jaylen Hall, WR out of WKU signed to the roster 

6’3 180 guy productive in his one year at wku. Also scored a td on a hand full of punt returns. It’s not easy to walk into a new team as a wr and be that productive. 

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, johnzo said:

should've been more clear.

I think if a safety leads the team in tackles, like Lysack did in 2005, that safety probably played on a pretty shitty defence.

Yes and no. Run fits in the cfl frequently involve the s/2 dbs now. It is possible to have a S create a ton of positive defensive plays by getting tackles. It is easy for bad dbs to rack up tackles though. 

57 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Tackles and +/-... worst in all sports because they need a hell of a lot of context to tell you anything.

plus minus as well for sure. 

1 hour ago, Stickem said:

Dublanco showing up at the combine...Should be an iteresting watch...This guy will go early in the draft....we may not get a shot unless we can swing a deal....Walters will be on it depending on what he sees from this guy

The CFL Combine is on this weekend in Waterloo, here is a link to the posted results page.

https://www.cfl.ca/combine/2024-invitational-combine/

Top 5

https://www.cfl.ca/2024/03/08/invitational-combine-leaderboard-top-5-from-every-drill/

Edited by Fatty Liver

2 hours ago, Stickem said:

Dublanco showing up at the combine...Should be an iteresting watch...This guy will go early in the draft....we may not get a shot unless we can swing a deal....Walters will be on it depending on what he sees from this guy

the more top end names added the better, increases our chances of getting a good ol prospect. Ly by the time we got to pick potential starting players were already gone.

On 2024-03-08 at 8:34 PM, wbbfan said:

It can be, or it can not be. Hefney for instance wasn’t a S, but put up a lot of tackles while being one of the very best dbs in the league. You can’t evaluate tackles in a vacuum. 
 I broke down in depth the difference between awes tackles and biggies tackles last year. Awe put up more tackles head to head, but was making tackles on average almost 10 yards from the line. Where as biggies average depth was under 4. Or like maruo leading us in teams tackles then getting benched for the year. 
 Tackles are the worst individual stat in football and maybe all of sports. 

6’3 180 guy productive in his one year at wku. Also scored a td on a hand full of punt returns. It’s not easy to walk into a new team as a wr and be that productive. 

Tackle stats require a lot of context for sure.

On 2024-03-09 at 8:49 AM, 17to85 said:

Tackles and +/-... worst in all sports because they need a hell of a lot of context to tell you anything.

I agree. Like most stats a deeper dive should usually be done. I do agree that the two you singled out are big time proof of that.

4 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Tackle stats require a lot of context for sure.

I agree. Like most stats a deeper dive should usually be done. I do agree that the two you singled out are big time proof of that.

I would love to see the cfl do in game advanced/specialized/charts/ngs stats in a few areas for the game of the week. Yards after contact, tackle depth, qb hurries/hits, player speeds, ball velocity, average separation, play/formation break downs charts, yards per target, tackle % etc. 

it would cost too much to get that going for every game (since we barely had stats at all half of last year). But I don’t think it would be too much to have one more stats guy and the equipment with tsn to do it once a week. 
 It would certainly add to pre game, post game and half time segments. 

Edited by wbbfan

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I would love to see the cfl do in game advanced/specialized/charts/ngs stats in a few areas for the game of the week. Yards after contact, tackle depth, qb hurries/hits, player speeds, ball velocity, average separation, play/formation break downs charts, yards per target, tackle % etc. 

it would cost too much to get that going for every game (since we barely had stats at all half of last year). But I don’t think it would be too much to have one more stats guy and the equipment with tsn to do it once a week. 
 It would certainly add to pre game, post game and half time segments. 

I wish CFLdb were still the site it used to be. Used to have all these advanced stats available.

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

I would be happy if the CFL could just share the stats. 

Bombers sign receiver Isaiah Coulter. He was a 2020 5th round draft pick.

This one is interesting as it was reported he signed with the UFL 4 days ago. 

https://pfnewsroom.com/news/dc-defenders-continue-to-sign-wrs-add-isaiah-coulter/

They also signed DB James Campbell. He tried out for Seattle last year.

Edited by WinnipegGordo

1 hour ago, WinnipegGordo said:

https://pfnewsroom.com/news/dc-defenders-continue-to-sign-wrs-add-isaiah-coulter/

That makes 15 Import receivers competing for Bailey's old job.

18 hours ago, WinnipegGordo said:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/isaiah-coulter/3200434f-5516-0662-8b6d-a1ee4723ab0a

looks like a bit more of a project but with tons and tons of upside. Might be a guy worth keeping around and coaching up if he doesn’t make the team. 

18 hours ago, WinnipegGordo said:

And released two days ago.

https://www.si.com/fannation/ufl/news/dc-defenders-release-players-first-wave-ufl-roster-cuts

D.C. has let go of another five wide receivers just days after releasing Preston Williams, including notable recent pickups like Coulter and Harley. The two pass catchers didn't last very long on the Defenders' roster, despite their recent NFL experience. 

1 hour ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Bombers signed DB Antony Witherstone. He was released from the UFL a couple of days ago.

he was on our negotiation list as well, (as was Nichols when we signed him) fingers crossed - it would be nice to have a db with a bit of size

The first videos of Shoen I saw posted here, the first thing I thought was that he was a CFL type reciever, had that look- body position, timing passes, great hands. Didn't fit the mould of a NFL reciever, but thought he may be one of those types of guys suited for this game with talent but overlooked down south.

There's a lot of guys up here with enough talent to play down south, but just don't fit with what the NFL looks for.

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

https://3downnation.com/2024/03/13/john-hodges-2024-cfl-mock-draft-1-0/

Hodges mock draft. I can’t see us taking 2 FBs in the first 3 rounds. But I’d love to get a versatile fb who can block play teams and do some power running. 

And you would spend draft capital in the first 3 rounds to do this? Or, you would wait until later in the draft to fill out your special teams depth and add an American FB to do some blocking and power running?