2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

2 hours ago, Booch said:

There a couple nice global DL prospects in this draft ..hope we grab one

Brandon Colliers efforts are starting to pay off. He has brought a ton of high level talent to the NCAA from all around the world since he hung the, up.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Geebrr said:

I said “maybe the best”.

Rod Hill was a first round pick in the NFL and played down there for years before coming up here. Alford came in as a pure rookie and was the best DB in the league playing the toughest spot in the secondary. 

Rod Hill was never as physical as Alford from what I remember, and I don’t really care about fumble recoveries TBH.  Alford was a great cover guy just like Rod Hill. 

Juran Bolden would be in my conversation as well. 

Now you're back pedalling. 

1. One, you do consider Alford the best or you wouldn't have said "in league history". 

2. How can you say a corner like Hill wasn't physical? He was a shut down corner playing against guys like Mervyn Fernandez, david Williams, Darrell K. Smith, Allen Pitts, earl Winfield, Tony Champion & Geroy Simon.  He didn't do that by playing powder puff football. He battled with them downfield. The guy could lay a hit on a receiver if he had to & also play finesse as well. 

3. The numbers for Hill's interception numbers are even more eye popping considering teams were afraid to throw to his side of the field so he was a guy who was resourceful when the ball came his way. He only had Less Browne on the other corner for 2 seasons. 

4. Interceptions, fumble recoveries, blocking punts & field goals means Hill had a nose for the ball & turnovers win games so you should care. Hill was a game changer. 

5. No one intercepted 47 passes in 92 games. That's an incredible stat. Even mentioning a player who was here one season would be on his ways to "perhaps" the best DB in history. Alford was a very good DB, I agree but lots of guys had seasons like him as rookies. My point here? Longevity has to count for something before annointing a player the greatest ever after just one season. Even saying "perhaps".

And, please don't take this personally, this is just a discussion. I'm not going after you. You're entitled to your opinion. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, Fatty Liver said:

Was that based on a ratio adjustment or was Alexander coming back from injury?  Kongbo started 2019 on the 6-game IR and once he came back I think it allowed them to replace Hecht with an Import, it was a huge turning point for Hall when he was allowed to go all Import LB's and secondary.

IIRC - it was a combination of ratio plus BA being injured.

1 hour ago, Booch said:

I'd go for whom I've seen for best Bombers DBs as Hill..BOlden..Brown...Roy Bennet and James Jefferson...bar none..nobody since be even close...I would almost put Bolden first if he had a series of yrs together...dude had no business being up here and we were so lucky to have him a few times 

So, you're saying that Juran Bolden rules?

52 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Now you're back pedalling. 

1. One, you do consider Alford the best or you wouldn't have said "in league history". 

2. How can you say a corner like Hill wasn't physical? He was a shut down corner playing against guys like Mervyn Fernandez, david Williams, Darrell K. Smith, Allen Pitts, earl Winfield, Tony Champion & Geroy Simon.  He didn't do that by playing powder puff football. He battled with them downfield. The guy could lay a hit on a receiver if he had to & also play finesse as well. 

3. The numbers for Hill's interception numbers are even more eye popping considering teams were afraid to throw to his side of the field so he was a guy who was resourceful when the ball came his way. He only had Less Browne on the other corner for 2 seasons. 

4. Interceptions, fumble recoveries, blocking punts & field goals means Hill had a nose for the ball & turnovers win games so you should care. Hill was a game changer. 

5. No one intercepted 47 passes in 92 games. That's an incredible stat. Even mentioning a player who was here one season would be on his ways to "perhaps" the best DB in history. Alford was a very good DB, I agree but lots of guys had seasons like him as rookies. My point here? Longevity has to count for something before annointing a player the greatest ever after just one season. Even saying "perhaps".

And, please don't take this personally, this is just a discussion. I'm not going after you. You're entitled to your opinion. 

I’m not back pedalling Al. 

I am leaving a subjective opinion open to debate. 

I meant I think he would have been in the conversation had he stayed. Yes, it is speculation based on one season. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

I’d add blink, he played behind some horrible ols and still put up great numbers. Plus was often our 2nd best wr behind milt. 

Bolden was insane. And he made it look soo easy. 

Agreed. I’ve smoked cigs and joints with Charlie Roberts.
The way he played, with that lifestyle earns a completely different level of respect for me than anything else I’ve seen watching pro sports of any kind. 

Edited by JohnnyAbonny

1 hour ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Sellers

I mean he made atleast one pro bowl as a fb after he left here and between kick cover, blocking, and ability to score he could’ve made several. Best fb I’ve seen in the cfl by a lot. 

1 hour ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Agreed. I’ve smoked cigs and joints with Charlie Roberts.
The way he played, with that lifestyle earns a completely different level of respect for me than anything else I’ve seen watching pro sports of any kind. 

I mean going out and getting **** faced the night before a Grey Cup game where we had a guy making his first start ever at QB was frustrating. 

2 hours ago, Geebrr said:

I’m not back pedalling Al. 

I am leaving a subjective opinion open to debate. 

I meant I think he would have been in the conversation had he stayed. Yes, it is speculation based on one season. 

Even just 5 seasons for Hill is cutting it pretty thin but the numbers he put up are simply outstanding!!

10 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I'm not talking about the 2009 team but that 2001 team still absolutely drives me crazy when I think about it. That 2001 team was very talented but they had a lot of Me First selfish players who thought the Stamps would lie down for their "greatness". Unfortunately, they just didn't take things seriously & we know what happened. I'm sure if Milt could do it over, he may have stepped up to try & stop it as a leader on the team. I'm sure there are lots of players on that team that wish they could do over that week of preparation.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

16 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

For sure it was. Especially considering he did it twice.  Doesn’t change the respect I have for his natural talent though. 

Natural talent means nothing if you can't be disciplined enough to get ready to play. Or to be a team leader & lead by example. I mean. Dinwiddie was a **** qb anyway. We really had no chance with him playing. But that's what you get when you sign crappy qbs behind the starter. I expected the Bombers to lose in 2009 but not 2001.

21 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

For sure it was. Especially considering he did it twice.  Doesn’t change the respect I have for his natural talent though. 

I had dinner with Milt a few years (a friend won a charity auction) and he said he roomed with Blink for their first trip to Montreal together.

He said he didnt see Charlie from the time they checked in until they were at the stadium the next day. 

Blink went on to lead the team in rushing and receiving that night so Milt said he decided not to confront the issue and just let Blink be Blink.

The question is would the Bombers had won more cups in the early 2000s if they had team leaders that inforced the FIFO attitude? Was Blink the problem or lack of leaders the problem?

4 hours ago, WinnipegGordo said:

I had dinner with Milt a few years (a friend won a charity auction) and he said he roomed with Blink for their first trip to Montreal together.

He said he didnt see Charlie from the time they checked in until they were at the stadium the next day. 

Blink went on to lead the team in rushing and receiving that night so Milt said he decided not to confront the issue and just let Blink be Blink.

The question is would the Bombers had won more cups in the early 2000s if they had team leaders that inforced the FIFO attitude? Was Blink the problem or lack of leaders the problem?

The coaching staff should shoulder some of the blame in this situation.

I'm sure Oshea wouldn't allow this behavior on today's team

Edited by bryan35

13 hours ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Blink is the problem. I’ll share a slightly vague story about Charlie - after his playing days, he was struggling a bit and ended up moving in with a friend of mine into their basement suite (the club is how he got connected with my friend, they were caring enough to help him find a place to live)

there was more than one occasion where we’d go out to a bar or restaurant or wherever and all meet for drinks at this friend’s house first. Roberts would wait downstairs and then if it was in walking distance, he’d walk to wherever we were headed and wait for us outside to beg for smokes, food, etc. 

the club also paid his rent several times because they felt responsible for the tenant when the tenant spent all their money on smokes and VLTs

I used to get him home many occasion when I bounced at tail end of his time here...he was a loner..came alone...and was dealing with a lot of demons

I recall many times finally getting him home at 3..4 in morning night before a game and he would rip off 150 yards that day like it was nothing

Oh what he could have been...when his marriage fell apart so did he

14 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Natural talent means nothing if you can't be disciplined enough to get ready to play. Or to be a team leader & lead by example. I mean. Dinwiddie was a **** qb anyway. We really had no chance with him playing. But that's what you get when you sign crappy qbs behind the starter. I expected the Bombers to lose in 2009 but not 2001.

34 minutes ago, Mike said:

Blink is the problem. I’ll share a slightly vague story about Charlie - after his playing days, he was struggling a bit and ended up moving in with a friend of mine into their basement suite (the club is how he got connected with my friend, they were caring enough to help him find a place to live)

there was more than one occasion where we’d go out to a bar or restaurant or wherever and all meet for drinks at this friend’s house first. Roberts would wait downstairs and then if it was in walking distance, he’d walk to wherever we were headed and wait for us outside to beg for smokes, food, etc. 

the club also paid his rent several times because they felt responsible for the tenant when the tenant spent all their money on smokes and VLTs

That's too bad about Blink. Hope he straightened stuff out.

26 minutes ago, Booch said:

I used to get him home many occasion when I bounced at tail end of his time here...he was a loner..came alone...and was dealing with a lot of demons

I recall many times finally getting him home at 3..4 in morning night before a game and he would rip off 150 yards that day like it was nothing

Oh what he could have been...when his marriage fell apart so did he

Behind every man's tragic tale there is usually a woman standing. 

Just bugging my wife as she stands here reading me type my post. If I go missing from the forum call the cops.

.....Trading him to the leo's, where he finished up with a torn achilles, was not the way I would've like to have seen Charlie go out....I think his heart left the game after he left Wpg. and it was just a matter of time until the inevitable....the injury just moved it along a little faster....I rank him along with Leo Lewis as the best this club has ever seen, and even with his smoking and offfield antics,that doesn't change for this fan