2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

20 minutes ago, Noeller said:

ehhhh... yes we were absolute dogshit embarrassing for a long time.... but it's also an 8/9 team league. There's no excuse to not be in the hunt every single year. The Stamps did basically what we're doing right now, about 10 years ago. Going to the cup virtually every year, but only winning a couple. 

The expectations have definitely changed......and also, we have been the best team in the league for a long time now (regardless of who hoisted the trophy at the end) and only lost the last two cups by a last second play. Our expectations are much higher than they were before...

And we won a gc by some last second magic, too. I agree with the board, on first glance the JT signing is underwhelming. I just think it's also important to remember what got us to the dance in the first place..it's always been a character driven team.FIFO.

If you lose too many of those unsung leaders than you may lose the culture too. Let's see what happens in free agency..

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I never want to lose again.

Said the same thing after 2019. That there was no reason we can’t keep winning. 

31 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I have this sinking feeling we are going to lose both Brady and schoen. Boy I hope it’s wrong. 

I already consider them gone - so if they come back, great.  

4 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Which is why they need to cut bait on some guys quicker than they are and not waste roster spots on guys who don't really do anything useful for the team.

As long as you have a way to replace them. Otherwise, figure it out in camp. Like Jake Thomas. 

5 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Thomas at his best was a rotational piece/bottom teir Canadian starter... he is long past his best.  Appreciate the hell out of everything he has done for this team but even bringing him to camp is a waste of time. We don't need his passport at the position.

Let’s also remember Mos did move on from him, like 4-5 years ago. Then brought him back mid season as an injury replacement. 

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

I think 1 is gone and 1 is back. 

Good likelihood. This fa period is the first time in a long time with soo much concern. Can’t wait for the first week of be over so we know who stays and who goes. 

I believe BO is gone....sucks...good dude...but not end of world....not needed for ratio, and easily replaced....Schoen I think we work it out...If not Coxie in T.O would be a nice piece to go with Lawler..Demski...Woli and whomever is the other guy..Be it Bailey, or one the new guys we signed...even Alston.

as far as culture...depth...we have the culture and depth in spades to keep it a factor....so the lack of bringing JT back wouldn't have affected it in the least...G=-Having Strev back even more than off-sets that for locker room leadership/culture continuation....and also too much is being put on finding the "perfect" fit culture wise, and that other good athletes are bad characters...Heck WJ was considered that from outside looking in, but he's one of the biggest policeman in the room to make culture work...If you see a talent or have a chance to bring a guy in...You do it and it will work itself internally...Unlesss you bring a doucher in like Marshall

And another point back to Streveler...and this belief/narrative that he couldn't be a legit number 2...let alone number 1....and can't pass.

He came here in 2019...with 2 whole yrs of QB experience...total...in his life....did some things...made some rookie mistakes, but was thrown right into the fire at the pro level with basically one TC worth of exposure to the CFL....and now has 2 yrs CFL experience...and won games, as well as 4 yrs of NFL training and exposure....soaking up all he can....I can ell you all you will be rather impressed what he brings now and how he looks...We have a legit 1b guy...who also possess a unique skill set to be used outside of just QB...we have secured the best #2 in the league...and a guy who could start for a piddly 120k base....just food for thought

Just now, Bigblue204 said:

We would have to, cause Ouellette won't Stat healthy 

Oullette with that Cruickshank as the change of pace, and or also with 2qb at same time with Strev's in the backfield would be a DC's nightmare...Imagine that with also having Lawler...Demski and hopefully Schoen running free....

6 minutes ago, Booch said:

Oullette with that Cruickshank as the change of pace, and or also with 2qb at same time with Strev's in the backfield would be a DC's nightmare...Imagine that with also having Lawler...Demski and hopefully Schoen running free....

Honestly I'd prefer going with 2 rookies. If we're paying AJ and another, we might as well pay Brady.

Just now, rebusrankin said:

So if Brady leaves where does he go?

My guess is TO or maybe more likely MTL.

2 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

So if Brady leaves where does he go?

1 minute ago, Bigblue204 said:

Honestly I'd prefer going with 2 rookies. If we're paying AJ and another, we might as well pay Brady.

My guess is TO or maybe more likely MTL.

Seeing as Sask re-upped Hickson.....Ott did Williams...Ham likes Butler, and MTL just signed that ex NFL'r.....my guess it's T.O and B.C battling it out (regardless what McVoy claims) They have Hatcher off the books till late in season...Dumped Rhymes....Lucky likely won't be back, and if he is will be on a cheaper deal...So they have the money to do it....and the need.

Outlier maybe Mtl, but I think they may make an offer well below the others....Then again who knows about numbnutz in Edm....tho they have Brown who I would snap up in a heartbeat if he had to be cut loose...They did just release that other back they spelled Brown off with...so guess they could be the wild card

2 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Sorry I haven't been keeping up with where things are currently, but I thought BO wants to pursue a NFL shot?

pipe dream....he mentioned it....but nobody came knocking...rightfully so...backs like him down there are a dime a dozen, and he's in the lower end talent wise of that dime a dozen group

1 hour ago, Booch said:

I believe BO is gone....sucks...good dude...but not end of world....not needed for ratio, and easily replaced....Schoen I think we work it out...If not Coxie in T.O would be a nice piece to go with Lawler..Demski...Woli and whomever is the other guy..Be it Bailey, or one the new guys we signed...even Alston.

as far as culture...depth...we have the culture and depth in spades to keep it a factor....so the lack of bringing JT back wouldn't have affected it in the least...G=-Having Strev back even more than off-sets that for locker room leadership/culture continuation....and also too much is being put on finding the "perfect" fit culture wise, and that other good athletes are bad characters...Heck WJ was considered that from outside looking in, but he's one of the biggest policeman in the room to make culture work...If you see a talent or have a chance to bring a guy in...You do it and it will work itself internally...Unlesss you bring a doucher in like Marshall

And another point back to Streveler...and this belief/narrative that he couldn't be a legit number 2...let alone number 1....and can't pass.

He came here in 2019...with 2 whole yrs of QB experience...total...in his life....did some things...made some rookie mistakes, but was thrown right into the fire at the pro level with basically one TC worth of exposure to the CFL....and now has 2 yrs CFL experience...and won games, as well as 4 yrs of NFL training and exposure....soaking up all he can....I can ell you all you will be rather impressed what he brings now and how he looks...We have a legit 1b guy...who also possess a unique skill set to be used outside of just QB...we have secured the best #2 in the league...and a guy who could start for a piddly 120k base....just food for thought

On strevy he was a legit passer in College had an impressive streak with out throwing a pick. He only regressed as a passer under plop. The check down offence isn’t what he’s cut out for. If your offence is designed to stretch sideline to sideline with the pass, running any thing but up the middle even with a qb is greatly reduced. Because he was used soo much to run, that was the first option with him on the field and what Ds game planned for. So the screen/release dump off played right into the Ds prep. 
 We needed seam passes, timing routes, hitch n go screen out n ups etc. as well as some run wrinkles like qb power and counter, pump and runs, dive action screens etc. 

I’m hopeful buck will make better use of strevy. 
Big Chris also seemed to take a good step forward in the nfl from zona to ny. And I mean it makes sense he got some great coaching. 

6 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Has anyone considered the possibility of a Tim White Jr? Guy has been an absolute super star with a sub par passing game. If someone wants to give Schoen Eugene Lewis money do you think we could go after him? 

I like white but I don’t see him being notably cheaper than schoen.