2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

3 minutes ago, Sard said:

Tre Ford being a Canadian doesn't provide any benefit as the QB position is a non-counter when it comes to the ratio.

That wasn’t my understanding of it. I thought the rules were changed a few years back to provide a roster benefit to utilizing a Canadian qb.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

That wasn’t my understanding of it. I thought the rules were changed a few years back to provide a roster benefit to utilizing a Canadian qb.

I think people were asking for that as a way to encourage teams to develop Canadian QBs, but nothing came of it.

Per the CFL.ca rules:

Of the 45 players named to the roster, each team may dress an active roster of 45 players, broken down as follows:

• Maximum of 3 QBs (no designation)
  • Maximum of 19 American players
  • Minimum of 21 National players
    • Including one nationalized American
  • Minimum of 1 Global player

**45th player would be an extra national or global player

I see we’ve proceeded to the part of the off-season where we forget that replacements for old players don’t cost $0

SPECULATIONSZN

The cap is $5.585 million this year, that’s roughly 125k per spot on the active roster.

people would be horrified if they saw how much Jake Thomas, Jesse Briggs, Shayne Gauthier, etc were making. Hell, did anyone discuss how we’re also paying Cam Lawson about 140k this year? 

Look at it this way: if we cut bait with any of Rose, Alexander, Gauthier, Briggs, Castillo, Bailey, Hardrick or Thomas and replace them with a minimum level salary, that’s probably a savings of anywhere between 30-70k each. 

Already moved on from Mike Miller, Alden Darby, Jeffcoat .. if those are minimum salary replacements, that’s roughly another 150k in cap savings already.

27 minutes ago, Mike said:

I see we’ve proceeded to the part of the off-season where we forget that replacements for old players don’t cost $0

SPECULATIONSZN

The cap is $5.585 million this year, that’s roughly 125k per spot on the active roster.

people would be horrified if they saw how much Jake Thomas, Jesse Briggs, Shayne Gauthier, etc were making. Hell, did anyone discuss how we’re also paying Cam Lawson about 140k this year? 

For the potential of being a Cdn starter. Cdn on both sides of the line if they are decent are not cheap.

4 minutes ago, bb1 said:

For the potential of being a Cdn starter. Cdn on both sides of the line if they are decent are not cheap.

I wasn’t arguing it’s a bad deal. I was making a point that people get worked up about these high numbers but they really have no idea just how many guys on our team are making those kind of dollars (way more than they think)

37 minutes ago, Mike said:

SPECULATIONSZN

My only issue with Lawson, is he didn’t play enough. Guys a monster. 
 For the cap numbers the only thing I’d add is that it’s heavily skewed for us when you factor in Zach, and even what will likely be our top 5 all earning outlier money. 
 Let’s say Zach 600k, and the next 4 (likely wj lawler Bryant and one of schoen/brady) average 225k. That’s 1.5m/5.585m at just 5 guys. Leaving 40 to split 4.085m, if we leave no cushion and rely on cutting guys to make changes or ir saved money. That’s 102,125 now, vs the minimum of 70k. If you break down the next 5 highest paid guys, and average out the rest over 35 it drops to probably the mid to low 90s. If you then pay your 7 starting candians plus 3 key ni back ups an average of 100k, which would likely be closer to 125k in average, the number slumps even further. 

2 hours ago, JCon said:

There was no one behind Jackson or Bennett? 

There was actually. Behind Jackson in particular we have spent the last 3 drafts stocking guys for that kind of role. Any taman napkin name ni or imp at fb te lber or de could’ve filled that role and been an upgrade either by ratio or talent. Same with faith the de edition. 

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

For the cap numbers the only thing I’d add is that it’s heavily skewed for us when you factor in Zach, and even what will likely be our top 5 all earning outlier money. 
 Let’s say Zach 600k, and the next 4 (likely wj lawler Bryant and one of schoen/brady) average 225k. That’s 1.5m/5.585m at just 5 guys. Leaving 40 to split 4.085m, if we leave no cushion and rely on cutting guys to make changes or ir saved money. That’s 102,125 now, vs the minimum of 70k. If you break down the next 5 highest paid guys, and average out the rest over 35 it drops to probably the mid to low 90s. If you then pay your 7 starting candians plus 3 key ni back ups an average of 100k, which would likely be closer to 125k in average, the number slumps even further. 

Lawson was taking more snaps than Jake by the end of the season, they only had 3 DT's in rotation so they all got plenty of reps.

13 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Get real, Miller earned barely over $100k.

Miller made 95k last year. 

1 minute ago, Fatty Liver said:

Lawson was taking more snaps than Jake by the end of the season, they only had 3 DT's in rotation so they all got plenty of reps.

He did get more, but not nearly enough. Walker was seldom off the field as well. I think Lawson is going to break out in a big way this year 

12 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

There was actually. Behind Jackson in particular we have spent the last 3 drafts stocking guys for that kind of role. Any taman napkin name ni or imp at fb te lber or de could’ve filled that role and been an upgrade either by ratio or talent. Same with faith the de edition. 

But the reality of it is that none of this is how it works.

It’s all so much more fluid than that. You have guys on rookie scale deals, you have guys on American “entry level” deals … I’m not going to quote exact numbers because I think that’s a fools errand but it’s pretty clear the overall perception that we have as fans is way off. I’ve seen that in this thread alone. 

For example, how many people in here know that Johnny Augustine had a higher maximum earnings than Brady last year? For as good as our offensive line is, how many people in here are aware that we spend less on it than almost any team in the league? Stan was the only guy in the top 20 last year for earnings and he certainly didn’t get a raise this year. We don’t pay defensive backs either, only one of them made upwards of 100k last year. Lots around 90k but only BA was six figures. 

5 minutes ago, Goalie said:

From the tub. 

And not a dime of it counted on the cap so who cares 

5 minutes ago, Mike said:

It’s all so much more fluid than that. You have guys on rookie scale deals, you have guys on American “entry level” deals … I’m not going to quote exact numbers because I think that’s a fools errand but it’s pretty clear the overall perception that we have as fans is way off. I’ve seen that in this thread alone. 

For example, how many people in here know that Johnny Augustine had a higher maximum earnings than Brady last year? For as good as our offensive line is, how many people in here are aware that we spend less on it than almost any team in the league? Stan was the only guy in the top 20 last year for earnings and he certainly didn’t get a raise this year. We don’t pay defensive backs either, only one of them made upwards of 100k last year. Lots around 90k but only BA was six figures. 

This is what I am saying. Paying $140k for a vet NI OL  that has shown to be competent- if not near the top at his position (at least last year) is really nothing to be upset about. 

On top of that - It will not have any impact on their offer to Brady or Dalton. 

If Eli can’t come in and win the spot it is on him. Nobody is holding him back. 

Edited by Geebrr

17 minutes ago, Goalie said:

From the tub. 

Where do I sign up for that deal? 

13 minutes ago, Mike said:

but most of that field is leveled now for minimum salary. 

It is very fungable though and no deals are guaranteed. 

Augustine was capable of earning more money, he had more incentives  but he didn’t hit them or come close to making them out  he had a 91k min and a 120max. But he didn’t hit 1k yards rushing and maybe eclipsed 51% of the snaps at rb once last year.

Vs Brady who had 100/114k and hit all his incentives. 

11 minutes ago, JCon said:

We should have some draft picks from last year coming back to camp this year too. 

Korny and Rosery are back. 

2 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Right now we are shaping up to have the best OL and QB situation in the league. Pretty good base for your offence. 

idk it’s early to tell. Our ol is extremely up in the air with age and contracts. 
 Ott has a really good qb stable too with brown crum Adams pigrome and masoli. That’s gonna be a hell of a tc battle, though I expect some one to be cut early. 

Just now, wbbfan said:

Korny and Rosery are back. 

idk it’s early to tell. Our ol is extremely up in the air with age and contracts. 
 Ott has a really good qb stable too with brown crum Adams pigrome and masoli. That’s gonna be a hell of a tc battle, though I expect some one to be cut early. 

I’m not sure how we got to a point where Dru Brown is anywhere near as reliably good as Collaros. It is debatable whether Masoli will be ready to play a snap this year. 

Potential doesn’t out rank proven. I’ll go with our guys and hope Barriere can show something to stick around. 

OL has  :

Bryant and Richmond at Tackle

Neufeld; Eli; Dobson at Guard 

Kolankowski and Eli at Centre 

Without doing anything else that is the best starting six in the league. 

I’m good with what is taking place in those areas. 

8 minutes ago, bustamente said:

I think the Bombers will have more than enough to sign the players that they really want to be here, does that include Brady and Schoen time will tell but for sure one of them is coming back 

I don't see why we can't offer Schoen a contract similar to what Begelton signed for in Cal....a 3 yr. deal with substantial increases spread over that span...Also with the Streveler, signing you just know that our remaining fa's are looking at that in a very positive light ... That could be enough to encourage a few guys to want to stick around