2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, bluedawg said:

So we had the money in the ops cap to bring back Walters, Goveia and Danny Mac. Then we were able to keep Buck god knows how. And we were also able to promote the U.S. scout Penn? Just saw now has new role. Where's that money coming from LOL https://www.bluebombers.com/football-operations/

We do have a somewhat fat piggy bank.

36 minutes ago, bluedawg said:

So we had the money in the ops cap to bring back Walters, Goveia and Danny Mac. Then we were able to keep Buck god knows how. And we were also able to promote the U.S. scout Penn? Just saw now has new role. Where's that money coming from LOL https://www.bluebombers.com/football-operations/

I think penns got a real bright future too 

48 minutes ago, bluedawg said:

Haven’t added anyone, everyone’s just working on the same deals as last year, I guess.

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

If we can't bring back Brown then as a veteran back up I'd take him in a second.     

If Slim Pickens was available in free agency, he'd be a better option than some of this lot.

Nick Arbuckle, Ottawa Redblacks (A)
Dru Brown, Winnipeg Blue Bombers (A)
Dominique Davis, B.C. Lions (A)
Jake Dolegala, Saskatchewan Roughriders (A)
Dane Evans, B.C. Lions (A)
Mason Fine, Saskatchewan Roughriders (A)
Kai Locksley, Hamilton Tiger-Cats (A)
Dakota Prukop, Winnipeg Blue Bombers (A)
Matthew Shiltz, Hamilton Tiger-Cats (A)
Tommy Stevens, Calgary Stampeders (A)

11 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

If Slim Pickens was available in free agency, he'd be a better option than some of this lot.

Thought Steven's just resigned in Calgary. Didn't mind him. Davis will be done in the CFL. Doelaga probably back with the Riders 

If I had to guess its dru brown in winnipeg or Ottawa if he gets a fat cheque.

Dane Evens or Schilitz I'd take to replace him. Wouldn't want either to see the field for longer than a game or two, though.

I saw Strev worked out for San Fran.. doesn't look like he was picked up. I for the life of me can't understand why he's not cracking a roster. Taysom Hill has proved valuable to the saints year after year..

It's also mind boggling to me that Rourke is merely on a PR. He looks like a solid number 2 NFL qb. 

Edited by CodyT

7 hours ago, Noeller said:

Please dear God do not let Matthew Schiltz ever be a Bomber.....

So, you'd prefer a 22 year old rookie with no experience to a veteran backing up a 35 year old Zach Collaros with a running qb like Prukop for short yardage? Yeah, good luck with that scenario if Collaros goes down. Our season would be ******. You'd be crying the blues when we go out one & done in the playoffs. If we even make the playoffs. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

9 hours ago, Jesse said:

Man, I can’t think of anything worse than that scenario.

Money wont keep Dru here, it would never come to that. 

Keeping Schoen means finding one or two guys on rookie deals in the starting line-up. I don’t know if that would ultimately be worth the trade off.

no....means replacing a Biggie from the starting lineup.....dumping an Augustine at 100k and replacing with a rookie....a Thomas.....a Briggs....a Kolo....not re-upping a Houston and using our scouting to replace him....Benson.,,,Miller....you replenish with entry level guys there, or guys coming into only the second contract in free agency from elsewhere

7 hours ago, GCn20 said:

You mean the guy who got effectively demoted mid-season in Calgary because he refused to call a passing play over 5 yards?

will fit right in there then...keep em coming Oday

8 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

Certainly we’ve seen the last of Davis locksley arbuckle and poopkup right? No? $&@%! Hope none of em end up here. 

4 hours ago, Booch said:

no....means replacing a Biggie from the starting lineup.....dumping an Augustine at 100k and replacing with a rookie....a Thomas.....a Briggs....a Kolo....not re-upping a Houston and using our scouting to replace him....Benson.,,,Miller....you replenish with entry level guys there, or guys coming into only the second contract in free agency from elsewhere

will fit right in there then...keep em coming Oday

You’re not saving a whole lot on each of those moves. Probably have to make a bunch of those just to pay for the bumps for other starters you want to keep.

Big bumps like Brady and Dalton are going to require more significant moves.

4 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

So, you'd prefer a 22 year old rookie with no experience to a veteran backing up a 35 year old Zach Collaros with a running qb like Prukop for short yardage? Yeah, good luck with that scenario if Collaros goes down. Our season would be ******. You'd be crying the blues when we go out one & done in the playoffs. If we even make the playoffs. 

That’s how we developed Brown in the first place. We’re paying Zach too much to overly invest in the depth.

Prukop + rookie is what I’m expecting.

Just now, TBURGESS said:

Pretend you're Ottawa's GM. Brown and Streveler are available. Which one do you take?

Both, if possible.

Brown would be my focus.

36 minutes ago, Jesse said:

That’s how we developed Brown in the first place. We’re paying Zach too much to overly invest in the depth.

Prukop + rookie is what I’m expecting.

I wonder if this is the year we get Ian Book in camp. He's been on our neg list forever and seems to have run out of NFL chances. 

9 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

That is a sad sack list. Brown is the only one on there that I would want to start because the rest are god awful. Stevens is the only one who still has a chance 

25 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Pretend you're Ottawa's GM. Brown and Streveler are available. Which one do you take?

Interesting situation in Ottawa, they currently have 6 QB's listed on their roster, including Masoli and F.A. Arbuckle, if they intend to go after Brown they'll have to shed some serious weight.  I think they'll want to hold onto Crumm for future development but they may end up dumping Pigrome or Tyrie Adams along with Masoli and Arbuckle.  

24 minutes ago, JCon said:

That is a sad sack list. Brown is the only one on there that I would want to start because the rest are god awful. Stevens is the only one who still has a chance 

Not much to choose from, but from a budget perspective I would look at Fine, he throws the ball well and has good mobility, he could be akin to Brown 2 years ago and might develop positively in the right environment.

22 minutes ago, Mike said:

I’m getting a little tired of seeing us sign guys we’ve already had up here before. We’re not in the position to be bringing in guys who aren’t ready to compete for a spot.

It’s almost always the guys we’ve had an extended look at already, and not the guys who sit on our nl for a year then sign and are cut from the pr with in a month. 

couple of things... 

-I think it's getting harder and harder to convince players to come north... they're going to wait for NFL PR spots or maybe even the USFL/XFL league.... so it's tougher finding new talent to bring in

-Matthew Schiltz is a poor man's Dakota Prukop......and I don't particularly care for Dakota Prukop.